Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
kitarmen

Yamaha Pacifica upgrade

Hello! i have an yamaha pacifica with HSS pickups. does anyone have experience with upgrading an entry level guitar like my pacifica? could i change it to a good guitar?
I mean like better pickups, bridge, potts, tuners...
kitarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sure but you just want to be careful you don't spend loads on it

what pacifica is it?

what country are you in? (affects prices)

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
kitarmen

i think its a 112...maybe.
kitarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Bidley
The Humble Man

It's already a good guitar, but you could whack a Wilkinson tremolo and tuners on there (do check which models fit though) for about 40-50 if you're in the UK, and a set of Irongear pickups for about 60. Then it'd be a great workhorse.
Bidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
&baconstrips

Pacificas are excellent fix up guitars. New pickups will make a world of difference. if it has a tremolo, you could upgrade it and the tuners and the nut for better tone and tuning stability. I love my pimped out pacifica.
&baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley
It's already a good guitar, but you could whack a Wilkinson tremolo and tuners on there (do check which models fit though) for about 40-50 if you're in the UK, and a set of Irongear pickups for about 60. Then it'd be a great workhorse.

yeah i mean you could put the cheaper, non-gotoh-made wilkinson hardware on it for not *that* much (assuming it fits), trem with a steel block and locking tuners, and then cheaper-but-still-decent (from what i hear) pickups from the likes of irongear or tonerider and have a pretty decent guitar that sounds good without having broken the bank.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
bazooka-joe

I'm in the process of upgrading my natural finish Pacifica 112 too right now. New Wilkinson/Gotoh bridge, sperzel locking tuners, new pots, new 5-way selector, new custom pickguard, new knobs for volume/tone controls, new "no hole" pickup covers, new string tree, repairing a crack in the headstock, all new wiring.

But I'm keeping the pickups because, I've ALWAYS loved the tone of this guitar ever since I first got it back in the early 90's. I've heard a few people now complain about the sound of the pickups, which really makes me wonder if mine are the stock pickups or if I just have different taste in tone, because I've never had any complaints about how this guitar sounds. Plenty about how it plays, doesn't stay in tune, and the signal chain fails if I mess too much with the pots or selector, but when it works, it sounds great. I cannot WAIT to play it when it's done.
bazooka-joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: