Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
karstaag666
Karstaag666

The Segregation of the 'Rock' Community

When people talk of genres of Rock (putting all Metal, Punk, Rock, Alternative into one category here), it is often said that there is a community that brings people together through their love of music.. Especially when talking about music festivals.

If you think about how many people love Rock music though in the world, does it not make you wonder how the music does so poorly in the charts in comparison to Pop music?

I think the reason being is actually because Rock music segregates rather than brings people together. For example a guy who listens to Black Metal is unlikely to be a huge fan of say.. Paramore.. Vise Versa. Instead the rock community gets split into niche categories which by themselves are considerably smaller than that of Pop music where people tend to just buy the music they like without any influence of niche groups or segregation.

I think this also plays a part in newer band's target markets. For example the old school vs the new kids. To a heavy extent I think this affects the success of the genres and bands.
Imagine if everyone in the Rock community liked a single band? They would hit number one straight away.

Hell it could probably influence more people who buy primarily chart music into Rock music.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

I like black metal and paramore

I think in a way it does and doesn't. Most of the people I know that aren't musicians listen to different kinds of metal, rock, and alternative. Funny enough, it seems to be instrumenteers (I refuse to use the term musicians for these types) that cause quite a bit of this segregation among genres because they feel the need to prove their loyalty to what they play. These tend to be the kind of people that dress in an identifiable "uniform" of sorts and are prone to stereotypical behavior. Ex. Hipsters, Goths, Emos, Classic Rockers, etc.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 08-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

This happens with everything. For example, Plymouth and Portsmouth hate eachother. But they unite when it's a contest of the South vs the North. But they unite when it's England vs. Scotland. But they unite when it's UK vs the European Continent. But they unite when... etc etc. It's a law of human behaviour, not just rock music.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Second Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
I like black metal and paramore

I think in a way it does and doesn't. Most of the people I know that aren't musicians listen to different kinds of metal, rock, and alternative. Funny enough, it seems to be instrumenteers (I refuse to use the term musicians for these types) that cause quite a bit of this segregation among genres because they feel the need to prove their loyalty to what they play. These tend to be the kind of people that dress in an identifiable "uniform" of sorts and are prone to stereotypical behavior. Ex. Hipsters, Goths, Emos, Classic Rockers, etc.

Or it could be that they legitimately dislike those genres. Yes, I know it's a difficult concept for people your age to grasp. You think everybody is supposed to be so homogenous in their opinions that there is no differentiation. We are all one dull, gray mass. I shudder to think how boring and depressing this world would be and how boring the music scene would be if everyone liked everything. A whole world of just dull, mass market, mainline, directionless pablum. If you wanna like Paramore and Black Metal (and pardon me for being a "instrumenteer" here, but i'm sure your definition of black metal is Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth.... yuck) at the same time, no one is stopping you. However, don't sit here and denigrate people who don't as if your faux eclecticism somehow makes you morally superior. Christ.... when did kids turn so damn pretentious?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Rate
Or it could be that they legitimately dislike those genres. Yes, I know it's a difficult concept for people your age to grasp. You think everybody is supposed to be so homogenous in their opinions that there is no differentiation. We are all one dull, gray mass. I shudder to think how boring and depressing this world would be and how boring the music scene would be if everyone liked everything. A whole world of just dull, mass market, mainline, directionless pablum. If you wanna like Paramore and Black Metal (and pardon me for being a "instrumenteer" here, but i'm sure your definition of black metal is Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth.... yuck) at the same time, no one is stopping you. However, don't sit here and denigrate people who don't as if your faux eclecticism somehow makes you morally superior. Christ.... when did kids turn so damn pretentious?

I'm sure there are plenty of people that legitimately dislike overall genres. I came off a bit too strong with my last post, I don't think anyone that listens to a single, or similar genres is inferior (especially morally) to someone that listens to multiple types of music, but I believe variety is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Rate
You think everybody is supposed to be so homogenous in their opinions that there is no differentiation.

By the way, You're complaining that what I had said supports a homogeneous mentality, yet you're telling what I think? Way to subvert your own point.

On another note, the Paramore/Black Metal thing was a joke, I don't listen to Black Metal.

EDIT:I'm guessing your defensive stance against listening to varied genres is in the interest of everyone having the choice to only listen to one type of music, not from a personal standpoint. I would consider your tastes in bands and guitarists rather varied.

Nice Kit, btw

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 08-10-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Rate This Thread: