Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Damocles74

Epiphone EJ 200 or Hummingbird or Dove?

Narrowed it down to these 3. The Dove is probably right out because it is the "brightest" of the 3, so it's between the EJ 200 or the Hummingbird.
I have a Gibson Flying V and would like to venture into the world of acoustic guitar; I am mainly thinking of Greg Lake (The Sage!) In my purchase and am watching a few bids on Ebay. I like warm and mellow tones, what do you all think?

EJ 200

Hummingbird

Dove

I've watched YouTube vids of each guitar and it's kind of tough to tell without playing it. My music teacher uses an Epiphone acoustic for our lessons and it's plays very well.

Last edited by Damocles74 : 04-19-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Damocles74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Well, I like the sound of a jumbo better than a dreadnought. So, (if they made any of them left handed), I'd probably spring for the EJ-200.

I don't like cherry sunburst from an aesthetic standpoint, so that's out. I like traditional sunburst w/ black burst edges, I can tolerate tobacco sunburst, buy cherry burst is just well, "too prissy"

All that said, dude, they're your ears, do what you think is best.

The discussion wil take many forks and turns from here, as I'm pretty sure nobody here thinks too much of Epiphone acoustics, unless they're from the "Masterbuilt" series.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Slap-happy

I've got an EJ-200 in the UK at my folks place (I live in Australia) and it's nice to have around to strum whenever I head over.

The Masterbuilt series are superior, but you pay for what you get.
I think there are other Epiphone acoustics that are solid and would tonally improve with age that aren't as expensive as the Masterbuilt range.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Damocles74

Cool, thanks for the input. I also have to add that I love the Renaissance look of the EJ and Hummingbird.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles74
Narrowed it down to these 3. The Dove is probably right out because it is the "brightest" of the 3, so it's between the EJ 200 or the Hummingbird.
OK, the side and back woods have an effect on tonality, even if they are laminated. The order of brightness is: rosewood, dark, complex, mellow. Mahogany: reasonably bright. This is the most common material, so it's the sound to which you're most likely accustomed. Maple, quite bright.

Strings make a big difference. So, you need to know what string alloy was on the guitar(s) you tested. 80/20 "brass" (also called "bronze"), is very bright. Phosphor bronze is much warmer. Sometimes you need to adjust the alloy to get the best from a particular guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles74
I've watched YouTube vids of each guitar and it's kind of tough to tell without playing it. My music teacher uses an Epiphone acoustic for our lessons and it's plays very well.
I really don't pay any attention to the sound quality of a video on YouTube. Botched or enhanced recording techniques can make a good guitar sound bad, or a bad guitar sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-happy
The Masterbuilt series are superior, but you pay for what you get.
I think there are other Epiphone acoustics that are solid and would tonally improve with age that aren't as expensive as the Masterbuilt range.
OK, I haven't read the specs for Epiphone's entire acoustic line up. But, I suspect that all of its solid back and side, (as well as top), models are from the "Masterbuilt" series. Doubtless you could find a solid top indstrument in their standard line. In fact , I think the 3 TS has posted are all solid spruce tops. Which ostensibly would, (as you've suggested), improve with age.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Apc3

hmmmm...I guess it's just me, but the EJ200 is very bright and not mellow or warm what-so-ever.....i don't know maybe the lam. maple sides?? The Hummingbird a little closer to warm and mellow.

Don't get me wrong, they're both pretty guitars to look at, but if your going for warm and mellow, I think a Mahogany or Cedar top would be what you want or if the looks are more important the Epi's are prettier than say a Seagull or A&L. I owned a EJ200 for a little while and just couldn't get a good balanced sound out of it, it drove me nuts. I replaced the nut, pins, and saddle with bone, tried 5 or 6 different types of strings, but it just never did it for me, she sure was perty thou.
Apc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Damocles74

I went to the Guitar Expo in Freeport RI. today and tried a few different guitars and settled on the EJ 200
{The Sage}

The higher strings are clear without being chimey, but the low E string is very brassy (0.12 g strings) and it isn't very deep sounding at all.
There are 3 different tones to this guitar that are interesting: near the bridge twangy, over the sound hole adequate and over the neck for a rich "blm" sound.
I, also, got a bit of a deeper tone using my electric guitar pick...strange.

I've never owned (played) an acoustic before and am happy with this guitar.

Last edited by Damocles74 : 04-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
stepchildusmc

well, bejeezeez ! happy new guitar day ! i like the boom that baby provides but after playing it, i always get a craving for Pringles....i wonder.....
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Damocles74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
well, bejeezeez ! happy new guitar day ! i like the boom that baby provides but after playing it, i always get a craving for Pringles....i wonder.....

It's that Jim Croce/David Crosby moustache!

Rate This Thread: