Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
rmoxon

Strings make no sound when tuned?

Sorry if this isn't the right area, I'm new to the forum.

Now I haven't been playing guitar that long, so if I sound stupid I apologise in advance...

I've had the guitar Im currently using (an SG 60's tribute) for a few month now and all has been good until the last time I went to tune the guitar, once I had it in tune I discovered the 1st and 2nd strings won't play any notes when using any of the first few frets near the top of the neck. If I play the strings open they sound fine.

I have tried new strings but once I tuned the guitar the same problem occurred again.

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what Im doing wrong?

Last edited by rmoxon : 05-15-2013 at 07:57 AM.
rmoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
rmoxon

No one know then?

Also, another thing, since this has happened all the string on the guitar have had loads of buzz..... and I do mean loads.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Truss rod adjustment is neccesery I think.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
rmoxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
Truss rod adjustment is neccesery I think.

Ok thanks, is there a good tutorial online how do to do it or somthing? or shouldn't I try and do it myself?

Last edited by rmoxon : 05-15-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Take it to a tech.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Shor

I am with the above poster on this. I am guessing the neck is getting slight back bow (probably due to climate change where you're living). This is fairly normal, and you shouldn't really be too alarmed.
If you're not used to setting up guitars (which I am guessing you're not since you haven't been playing that long) I'd advise you take it into a guitar shop and have them set it up for you.
The guitar shop might possibly tell you that your action is too low, but seeing as it was fine before I wouldn't settle with that.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
rmoxon

Ok. I will see about getting it fixed then.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
TT-B52

I will 2nd and 3rd the recommendation that you take it to a competent guitar tech or better yet a real luthier and pay to have a really good setup done.
He/she will adjust all the things that need to be setup for the best playability.
This includes more than just a truss rod adjustment.
It will include a truss/neck adjustment, possibly adjusting the nut if necessary, lowering the action as low as possible with no buzzing anywhere via adjusting the "saddle", and fine tuning the string length via the saddle adjustments for each string, and an often overlooked adjustment of proper pickup height.
If needed he will also adjust and/or dress the frets depending on their condition.

And of course ALWAYS use a new set of strings, whatever gauge you like, but remember if you go very light like 8's or even 9's the overall sound might get to light/bright with not enough oomph on the low end.

With a proper setup your guitar will play like it never has.
Very few guitars are properly set up when you buy them from the guitar shop, even high end very expensive Les Paul's.
One brand that really impresses me are Schecter guitars. Non US custom shop Schecters are built overseas in Asia, but they are then shipped to the US Schecter shop and they do the final setup and tweaking. Surprisingly most of their guitars at shops have a very decent to quite good factory setup.

Here's link to some basic information that will help you do most of those things yourself in the future to keep your guitar in tune, proper tune.
Most techs and luthier's will likely use a strobe tuner, but you can get a pretty decent setup even with a good electronic chromatic tuner.
[forbidden link]
TT-B52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: