Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Grawgos
Registered User
 
Grawgos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Um, guys, i don't think any of this is actually helping the TS. Can the two of you just kiss and makeup so we can move along?

The best advice I've seen is get a job and go halvsies with the parents. Working for it will show that you want and need it.
__________________
Venom Legions Official Page
Grawgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawgos
Um, guys, i don't think any of this is actually helping the TS. Can the two of you just kiss and makeup so we can move along?

The best advice I've seen is get a job and go halvsies with the parents. Working for it will show that you want and need it.


Agreed, but as noted I'm waiting for some information from TS so as to make a rational suggestion. Wonder if he'll come back?
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
Bigbazz
Registered User
 
Bigbazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Your measurements don't impress me, even if true you're at best a moderately sized fish in a small pond. I've found that people here are judged by their contribution, not their claims...

Did you read the link or not?

At this point you're mistaking amusement for anger, since I'm not sure how your claimed internet experience trumps mine, or anyone else's? Shall I make similar unsubstantiated claims so we're on equal footing?

You've not made me angry yet, nor likely do you have the capacity to do so.

Read the link, I'm curious as to your response.


You're showing me a link that gives a theoretical look on amps in a broad general sense, and I already gave my response which was based on my experience on certain amps in practice.

You're making a point of trying to argue with my personal experience, I'm not making this up based on theory or what I've read but with the amps I've used. Over the last few years I've had these valve amps through my house, and I have a fair bit of experience with them.

Peavey 5150, 6505+, Valveking heads.
Marshall TSL100 head, JMP-1 + 20/20 power amp
Framus Dragon head
Cornford Hellcat combo, Cornford MK50II head
Engl Powerball Head


And you know what, all of them need to be fairly loud (more than reasonable if you're living with complaining parents) to get the most out of them, and aside from the JMP-1 + 20/20 poweramp all of them go from whisper quiet to fairly loud with nothing much inbetween. As I already said quite clearly I'm not saying all amps are like this but a lot of them are.

You say members judged by contribution and not claims? Well your contribution is to jump on the first guy giving some personal experience by throwing a theory thread at him, making wild assumptions based on nothing, along with some insults and a stinking bad attitude.
__________________
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 05-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
You're showing me a link that gives a theoretical look on amps in a broad general sense, and I already gave my response which was based on my experience on certain amps in practice.

You're making a point of trying to argue with my personal experience, I'm not making this up based on theory or what I've read but with the amps I've used. Over the last few years I've had these valve amps through my house, and I have a fair bit of experience with them.

Peavey 5150, 6505+, Valveking heads.
Marshall TSL100 head, JMP-1 + 20/20 power amp
Framus Dragon head
Cornford Hellcat combo, Cornford MK50II head
Engl Powerball Head


And you know what, all of them need to be fairly loud (more than reasonable if you're living with complaining parents) to get the most out of them, and aside from the JMP-1 + 20/20 poweramp all of them go from whisper quiet to fairly loud with nothing much inbetween. As I already said quite clearly I'm not saying all amps are like this but a lot of them are.

You say members judged by contribution and not claims? Well your contribution is to jump on the first guy giving some personal experience by throwing a theory thread at him, making wild assumptions based on nothing, along with some insults and a stinking bad attitude.


Rest assured your alleged personal, limited and anecdotal experience has been noted and given the consideration it deserves.

I've made no assumptions at all, you earned the insults and as regards my attitude I remind you yet again that you pursued me with your defensive agenda, I didn't seek you out.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #25
Bigbazz
Registered User
 
Bigbazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Rest assured your alleged personal, limited and anecdotal experience has been noted and given the consideration it deserves.

I've made no assumptions at all, you earned the insults and as regards my attitude I remind you yet again that you pursued me with your defensive agenda, I didn't seek you out.


So because I disagree with you, it warrents an insult? Because personal experience is now "anecdotal experience" and is therefor invalid.


I despise those who use the "anecdotal" bollox as if that makes everything invalid. You have 10 years experience using this amp? Doesnt matter, it is anecdotal and therfor invalid. "I don't have a ****ing clue what I'm talking about and have never used it but it's ok because I read a thread on the internet about theory so I am right!"
__________________
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
ExDementia
UG Freak
 
ExDementia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Children, please. The grown ups are trying to actually help this guy out. If you want to argue, just start spamming each others profiles. You're both right, just neither of you went about proving your points the right way.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
So because I disagree with you, it warrents an insult? Because personal experience is now "anecdotal experience" and is therefor invalid.


I despise those who use the "anecdotal" bollox as if that makes everything invalid. You have 10 years experience using this amp? Doesnt matter, it is anecdotal and therfor invalid. "I don't have a ****ing clue what I'm talking about and have never used it but it's ok because I read a thread on the internet about theory so I am right!"


I didn't say your experience was invalid, in point of fact I noted it had been given the consideration it deserved. It IS anecdotal, your dismay to the contrary notwithstanding.

But your experience isn't the only experience. The Valveking I recently gave away as an example, had a very nice sweep from low to high volume, which contradicts your experience. The Tweaker-88 has a similar smooth approach, but my Crate Palomino 16 does not, it needs to be pushed a bit to get a nice tone out of it.(The 2x12 Crate V33 does exactly as you describe, but it's getting SLO modded anyway so I don't care...) The '57 Tweed Deluxe is surprisingly usable across the range, although I admit I really enjoy that one cranked hard and pushed hard. My 50W Kustom 'The Defender" starts out harsh and trebly and pretty much stays there (Celestion V30...) but when I get a chance I'm going to tube roll that one and see if I can find a better setup. I could continue but those are the ones currently (or recently) in my guitar room and I'd say they make up a reasonable sample size for the purposes of our 'discussion'.

And my experience is anecdotal as well, but has the novelty of being generally supported by both reality and theory. (You toss 'theory' around like it's a dirty word, but theory is only as good as it's real-world applications and the ones I use seem to have met that test...)

This has been...interesting...but perhaps we should move on, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
Children, please. The grown ups are trying to actually help this guy out. If you want to argue, just start spamming each others profiles. You're both right, just neither of you went about proving your points the right way.


__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.

Last edited by Arby911 : 05-21-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
jorgeluisramon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackovSlayer
I have to ask you one thing: do you know what is a cab? It's a box with speakers. To use it you also need an amp head. You can get good sounds from a combo amplifier, you don't have to buy some ****ing big amp and cab and occupy half of your house with it to sound good. For playing at home, rehearsals and small gigs with the band - tube combo amp can be loud enough and sound good.

jorgeluisramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
High wattage doesn't mean bad bedroom tones and low wattage doesn't mean good bedroom tones. I don't even think modern high wattage amps are meant to be cranked.

Lots of watts means only one thing: cleaner sound at higher volumes. Your power amp won't distort like it will on lower wattage amps played at the same volume. But no amp is going to give you power amp distortion at bedroom levels unless you have an attenuator. Even 1 watt amp is pretty loud cranked for bedroom use (it will at least make your parents bitch).

My Laney VC30 sounds like crap when the volume is at lower than 1. Then the volume suddenly increases a lot and the annoying fizz goes away. Some amps have that spot at higher levels like Marshall Vintage Modern that sounded like crap at low volume levels. But I don't think it has anything to do with wattage. I have tried a 100 watt JCM2000 and it sounded just fine at low volumes. Same with a 50 watt Engl Screamer.

I'm more satisfied with my tube amp at bedroom levels than I have been with the solid states and modeling amps I have tried. Tubes at low volume don't necessarily sound bad. So please people, don't give advice like "you won't be satisfied with a tube amp if you only use it at bedroom levels". My VC30 sounds better at bedroom levels than any solid state or modeling amp I have tried.

Oh, and metal amps are usually high wattage because metal sound usually relies more on pre amp than power amp distortion.

+1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #30
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
 
JackovSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeluisramon


What's so funny?
__________________
Learn the sacred words of praise - Hail Satan
JackovSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
TS, MaggaraMarine knows what he is talking about on this one ...
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
This is one successful troll thread, the TS managed to get Arby and a fresh fish into a pissing match and we never see the TS again. Arby, you got pwned.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #33
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
TS get a job, save your money and buy the amp you want. You want the amp, not your parents. Your parents will deff take you more seriously and they will be more likely to help you out when they see you trying to get something better.
What is wrong with kids today wanting everything for nothing, TS don't be that kid
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 05-26-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #34
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
SLO
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 05-25-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
In my opinion we really need to stop some of the bullshit side arguments with new members threads. I really think some of them are getting scared away. Hence newcomers not coming back.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
Grawgos
Registered User
 
Grawgos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
In my opinion we really need to stop some of the bullshit side arguments with new members threads. I really think some of them are getting scared away. Hence newcomers not coming back.


I totally agree. It happens way too often.
__________________
Venom Legions Official Page
Grawgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.