Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
yep - classic music venue. that way its 10x faster to setup / breakdown between sets. so i see. no bar band.

well, obviously when somebody is on playing its safe.

in this type of venue, there is generally a backstage isnt there? why not just go chill back there after a set, smoke a cig or talk, and fake it while your actually watching the door to make sure nobody steals your stuff.

what i would do. ir chill out back in the parking lot or sumthin. clearly nobodys stealing it out the front through the crowds and bouncers....

That's what I was thinking too, having maybe a friend or somebody that helps out the band, chill back there during the show and watches the equipment, even while we play and stuff.

It's not like I don't have a plan at all when it comes to playing gigs, it's just that I want to take as many safe precautions that I can in order to make everything run smoothly and to where everyone, including myself, can be happy, and my gear getting stolen would not make me too happy, to say the least.
madmax33096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
icronic

Yeah, I'd say a JSX or a Mark IV.

But, where is stuff getting stolen from this place? Off the stage? Out of a back room? Out of peoples vehicles as they load in?

Stuff gets stolen a lot around here, but I've been gigging on a regular basis for 8+ years and have never had anything taken simply because I'm smart with my gear. If it's on stage I can keep an eye on it... I also tend to run all my cables through the handle just so it will take someone more time to unhook it and walk away with it. I'm I'm loading or unloading my car I generally get someone from my band to wait with my car and someone else to hand around the stage. If my stuff is in a back room then I'll just sit between that and the nearest exit.

If you ever do decide to gig with it, take note of the serial number and consider stenciling your name on the side of it. Also.. If it's a combo it's 90lbs... Not easy to run with a 90 pound amp in your arms.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Robbgnarly

I think your taking this a little far. I can under stand if you don't want to use it because of a certain venues atmosphere and you are afraid it will get damaged, stolen. But after many yrs of giging, I very rarely wont use my good gear (and it is mostly my guitars that I use sparingly)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
rockxwl

What's the point of owning an amp if you're afraid to take it out of the bedroom/garage/baement? Take the Mark V to gigs and take some precautions, namely:

1. Buy a cover so it looks less appealing to would-be thieves
2. As soon as your set is over put it back in the car and lock the doors.
3. Be vigilant. Just keep your eyes open.

Basically a grand total of 20 minutes will save you hundreds of dollars of buying another amp that isn't even as good as the one you already own.
EH Holy Grail
rockxwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I think your taking this a little far. I can under stand if you don't want to use it because of a certain venues atmosphere and you are afraid it will get damaged, stolen. But after many yrs of giging, I very rarely wont use my good gear (and it is mostly my guitars that I use sparingly)

But it's not like I'm wanting to necessarily sacrifice my tone with an amp that's not good quality. At that point, I'd just go buy an MG series Marshall and have it NEVER get stolen, nor would I care haha.

But the point also is to keep it nice as well, along with avoiding it getting stolen. There are some whacked people out there, willing to do anything, so I'd rather be over prepared than not prepared enough.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #26
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxwl
What's the point of owning an amp if you're afraid to take it out of the bedroom/garage/baement? Take the Mark V to gigs and take some precautions, namely:

Basically a grand total of 20 minutes will save you hundreds of dollars of buying another amp that isn't even as good as the one you already own.

You have a point there, It's just that I don't want to have to go the whole gig worrying about my gear getting stolen. The most notorious things that get stolen are pedals, and I have my Tubescreamer and my Decimator, and those are essentials for me, which I've heard a few people getting pedals stolen, most popular being that ones stated.

The whole point of this thread is to look at my possibilities, in case I needed a back up, or for my gigging amp to keep the Mark V nice and prevent it from getting stolen.

But, if it turns out that I gig with the Mark V, then I will be extra cautious about it and take your suggestions into account. I'd LOVE to gig with it, and it's not that I'm not willing to, it's just simply that I don't want it getting stolen or vandalized by some dumbass.

Last edited by madmax33096 : 02-26-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
Robbgnarly

Well I keep an eye on all my gear through out the night and then I put it up as soon as I am done playing. Like I said I can see where certain situations it is ideal to use something not as nice.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #28
Deadpool_25

Sounds like you need some good cleans. At your budget, JSX or EVH 5150III 50W IMO. And since you wanted the EVH before...

Still though, let's be honest...you'll be seriously pissed if any of these gets stolen.

Seriously, you should call around to a few insurance companies and ask if they can insure it under a renters/homeowners/other policy. Put like a $250 deductible on it and IF it gets stolen (and you should be super vigilant to make sure it doesn't) you get a new Mark V for $250 instead of spending $800ish now for something you may not really ever need.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxwl

I've got an Egnater Armageddon but I use my 6505+ live for the same reason as TS

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #30
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
I've got an Egnater Armageddon but I use my 6505+ live for the same reason as TS

Thank you, finally somebody who sees my point of view.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax33096
Thank you, finally somebody who sees my point of view.

Nah, we understand where you're coming from but we're also trying to make your life easier.

Ironically Marshall MGs do get stolen quite frequently... As do Line6 Spiders, Blues Jrs, and many other cheap or small light amps. Pedals and cables also tend to be a target. High end stuff generally doesn't get stolen that often. Why? Well... It's easier to sell something cheap than it is something expensive and something like a Mark V is quite rare and would be very difficult to sell without getting caught unless you take it out of state.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
Nah, we understand where you're coming from but we're also trying to make your life easier.

Ironically Marshall MGs do get stolen quite frequently... As do Line6 Spiders, Blues Jrs, and many other cheap or small light amps. Pedals and cables also tend to be a target. High end stuff generally doesn't get stolen that often. Why? Well... It's easier to sell something cheap than it is something expensive and something like a Mark V is quite rare and would be very difficult to sell without getting caught unless you take it out of state.

Yeah, I definitely see your point. It's easier to sell more familiar things to people like Cheap amps, cables, and pedals, but I don't want to risk ANYTHING. You never know what could happen, but in the long run, if I happen to get something else, it would be cool to have something as a back-up because I currently don;t have a back-up amp at the moment.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #33
icronic

Yeah, well there's a lot of love for the JSX here. Carvin V3 isn't a bad choice either.

Despite having a Mark V... I still miss my JSX from time to time.... There's one on craigslist for $450... So tempting.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #34
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Yeah, well there's a lot of love for the JSX here. Carvin V3 isn't a bad choice either.

Despite having a Mark V... I still miss my JSX from time to time.... There's one on craigslist for $450... So tempting.

The V3 is a great amp IMO but sometimes have had reliability issues. The JSX on the other hand would probably still work while tumbling down a flight of underwater stairs

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
Deadpool_25

Quote:

Do eeet!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
The V3 is a great amp IMO but sometimes have had reliability issues. The JSX on the other hand would probably still work while tumbling down a flight of underwater stairs

That's why I'm considering it, for the reliability and some of the sound clips I've heard. I need to test drive one in person first before I decide anything, that and the Mark III.

Mark III's aren't exactly the easiest to come by. The JSX is a little more common so I'd probably be able to test drive one here pretty soon if I scope out for one.

I've played the 5150III (The big 100w brother) and I REALLY dig the tone of those, and I could possibly see about trying out the mini, even though there won't be much of a difference. Those are hard to come by used too, so we'll see what happens there.

I've played on plenty of 6505's and a couple 5150's, so I got a pretty good idea what those are gonna be like, and they're far more common to find. So if I pull the trigger on one of those, then that wouldn't be an issue finding one. That's IF I go that route.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Man TBH I'd feel almost as sick if I lost a back up JSX, 5153, 6505/5150, Mark III, etc

Why not just get a Kensington lock or bike lock and lock the head to the cab? No one is going to be able to pick all of that up.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #38
JasonRain

Put the Mark V on your insurance policy.

Last edited by JasonRain : 03-11-2013 at 09:21 AM.
JasonRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: