Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
controlfreak
Mannheim Stoned

Anyone have any experience with old Fender cabs?

Hey folks,
I've got a '76 bassman 100 head that i've been running thru a few different cabs but the chance to buy a 1966 cabinet (I believe the original one that came with the head) has come up. The cab has original Fender speakers in it and is going for 400. Can anyone tell me if they are any good? Or if this deal is even worth it??
I'm a guitar player by the way. I know that bassists weren't too enamoured by the cab but is that different for guitar?

www.myspace.com/lostforkarma
controlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfreak
Hey folks,
I've got a '76 bassman 100 head that i've been running thru a few different cabs but the chance to buy a 1966 cabinet (I believe the original one that came with the head) has come up. The cab has original Fender speakers in it and is going for 400. Can anyone tell me if they are any good? Or if this deal is even worth it??
I'm a guitar player by the way. I know that bassists weren't too enamoured by the cab but is that different for guitar?

a 1966 blackface bassman came with a 2x12 cabinet loaded with Jensons, Utahs or Oxfords, the cabinet was wired for 4 ohms.

the '76 silverface bassman 100 came with a 2x15 cabinet loaded with JBL D-140F speakers, it was wired for 4 ohms. (i'd personally rather have this cabinet, imo those JBL's are much better than the blackface speakers).

i would be a little concerned about the power handling of the '66 cab. that cab was made for a 50 watt bassman and might be overpowered by your 100 watt bassman.

i am personally not a huge fan of fender cabinets. i like the older jenson speakers they used to run, but by the mid 60's i am kinda lukewarm on their speakers. 400 (~500 usd) seems like a lot for that cabinet too, you could get a new cabinet for that much money.

this cabinet may be worth it if you want something blackfaced and had a hard-on for old equipment. other than that, i'd pass. older fender cabinets aren't really all that special.

if you are still interested in the cabinet then i'd play it first. almost every old fender cabinet i have played that still has original speakers has had issues. old fender speakers are notorious for being blown out and in need of repair.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
woad_yurt

Aren't D140s bass speakers? I think they are so you may be less than pleased playing guitar through them.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
Aren't D140s bass speakers?

sure. they can be found in quite a few bass amps. sunn 200S and 2000S cabs were known for running those speakers.

but guitar amps like the blackface fender showman also came with a D-140 option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
I think they are so you may be less than pleased playing guitar through them.

i would prefer a JBL D-140 to one of the boring sounding stock Utahs or Oxfords the blackfaces came stock with. in the rare chance the cab was loaded with jensons then i'd be interested.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
controlfreak
Mannheim Stoned

Hey guys, it's Fender speakers actually that are in there. Have a look.
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/v...and-cab/2771509

www.myspace.com/lostforkarma
controlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: