Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
mattousley

Can i solo with the c minor pentatonic scale over the C Ionian progression I IV V?

Can i solo with the c minor pentatonic scale over the C Ionian progression I IV V?
mattousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

C Ionian scale - C-D-E-F-G-A-B
I - C-E-G
IV - F-A-C
V - G-B-D

C Minor Pentatonic - C-Eb-F-G-Bb

So, Eb and Bb would technically be a conflict (which you could help by avoiding the Eb on the I chord and avoiding the Bb on the V chord), but feel free to try it anyway. Music theory is not a set of rules. You can come up with interesting things while going out of scale.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
mattousley

How do i get chords that are compatible to the pentatonic?
mattousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattousley
How do i get chords that are compatible to the pentatonic?

The notes in the C Pentatonic scale have been listed for you above. Any chord that doesn't have "conflicting" notes will pretty much always sound good.

The minor pentatonic scale is good for this because in C alone there are 3 scale modes that it fits in - Dorian, Aeolian, Phrygian.

For the major pentatonic scale that would be Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian.

Last edited by PsiGuy60 : 07-06-2014 at 04:11 AM.
PsiGuy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer

I learn so much here. Even though most of this flies right over my head, I'm gaining an increased appreciation for the orderliness of music. I'm also seeing a deep history: Phrygia, Ionia, Lydia and the rest were cultures in ancient Asia Minor, what is the region of modern day Turkey. Who knew being a History major all those years ago would pay off?

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

If you're playing bluesy/rocky stuff, yeah. Technically there are a bunch of clashes. In practice (at least if you're playing bluesy or rocky stuff, as I said) it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Better off in MT so moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I IV V is not an "ionian" progression. It is in a major key. Forget about the mode names for now, they are just going to confuse you in the beginning. You need a better understanding of keys and scales to really understand modes. And ignore "ionian" and "aeolian" - they are called major and minor.

And yes, you can use C minor pentatonic over a I IV V kind of progression. That's what blues does all the time. For example if you play a blues in C, it goes like this: C7 x4 - F7 x2 - C7 x2 - G7 - F7 - C7 - G7. And that progression is only using I, IV and V chords. And to play a solo over it, you could just use the C minor pentatonic scale over everything (you could also add the blue note which in this case is Gb - that would make the scale you are using the C blues scale). Of course many blues solos also use notes outside of that scale but many solos also stay inside the scale most of the time.

But really, just try it and figure out if you like it. It will sound a bit dissonant but sometimes dissonance is really cool. There's no right or wrong in music. You just need to try things and figure out what works. You can use all notes in the chromatic scale and make it sound good. It's not that much about what notes you use but more like how you use them.

And when to use minor pentatonic? Well, you usually use C minor pentatonic in the key of C minor - it will work well over a simple progression like Cm-Bb-Fm. Using it in a major key is not that rare and it gives you a bluesy sound. But it won't sound good over all progressions. You need to look at the chord tones and use your ears. That way you'll figure out which notes work the best in which case.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 07-07-2014 at 11:55 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Well, yes. As long as you're careful about how you play it. For instance, usually, it's advisable to not play Eb over the C chord. It could create too much tension. Of course, then there's times you want a ton of tension and would therefore play that Eb over that C chord.

There are no rules in music, beyond what you (the composer/improviser) want to hear.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
cdgraves

You can play whatever you want if you know how you're using it. Using Cm Pent. over a Cmaj chord will give you a really bluesy sound because of the conflict between Eb and E (and Bb and B). I recommend using the minor over major trick sparingly, as it gets old fast. Don't try to be melodic with it, it'll just sound out of key.

Or do try to be melodic. If you can make the minor/major combination sound good, then kudos to you. Umphreys McGee does a cool tune with minor chord roots under a major meldy: (around 1:45, chords are F# and D).
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: