Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Solo Help

So I'm learning Cherry Bomb by the Runaways for a recording project, and the solo isn't one of my favourites. So I want to find something to replace it with, whether it be a solo from another song, or one I improvise.

If I were to improvise, what scale should I be using to do so.

Tuning is standard, and the chords during the chorus section are B5 and E5

Any advice as to the notes i should be playing? Guitar theory has never been my strong point, but I'm trying to learn it. So any bit of advice is appreciated!

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
food1010
Bassist

Well, what key is the solo section in? Does it use the same chords as the chorus?

Why don't you just look at the notes that the current solo uses and figure out what scale that is?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Bm pentatonic.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

You could write a solo and not improvise it. When you write it, you don't need to think about scales, you think about the melody you want to hear. When you come up with some cool ideas in your head, try to find them on your fretboard. But yeah, you need to figure out the key if you want to improvise over the song. It could be B minor/major or it could be E minor/major. Listen to it. Which chord feels like the key center (it will feel like "home" if that helps)?

Usually when guitarists talk about "improvising a solo" and ask a scale for it, they will just start playing the notes in the scale randomly and hope for something cool to come out of their guitar. I'm not saying that TS is necessarily one of those guys. But still, that's why I advised you to write your own solo, not just improvise a solo.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
You could write a solo and not improvise it. When you write it, you don't need to think about scales, you think about the melody you want to hear. When you come up with some cool ideas in your head, try to find them on your fretboard. But yeah, you need to figure out the key if you want to improvise over the song. It could be B minor/major or it could be E minor/major. Listen to it. Which chord feels like the key center (it will feel like "home" if that helps)?

Usually when guitarists talk about "improvising a solo" and ask a scale for it, they will just start playing the notes in the scale randomly and hope for something cool to come out of their guitar. I'm not saying that TS is necessarily one of those guys. But still, that's why I advised you to write your own solo, not just improvise a solo.

Thanks for the help!

I'll be sure to consider writing one ahead of time.

I thought it was a Bm pentatonic scale, at least that's what my gut feeling was.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: