Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Jazz and Metal Bass Techniques Books

I'm new to bass guitar. Been playing guitar, but bass is a whole different animal. I'm at the bottom of the ladder here and all.

I mainly play Metal, Prog Rock, Hard Rock, and some acoustic stuff. Obviously, since some of the songs in Metal (read: some Metal) or Prog Rock can be quite complex, I'd like to get better at bass.

Anyway, I can learn to play some bass parts I have written, but they mostly follow the guitar. I'd like to get more creative with my bass composition/playing. So, I figured some books on Jazz bass and Metal bass techniques would help. Btw, I kind of like "Jazz-y" bass in Metal or Prog Rock ( ). Any recommendations?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
ExDementia
UG Freak

Rush.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
PanochitaPirate

Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist is the best technique book I've ever gotten. It's meant for upright, but it is still great for electric. It will teach you proper scale shapes for bass which are much more movable across strings. That way you can stay lower on the neck where the tone is deeper.

Also, grab a copy of Vivaldi's Sonata No.3 in A minor. There is a version of it for string bass and piano. Trust me, if you learn it on electric you won't believe how much faster you'll get.

Finally, the best advice I can give you is to slightly change your left hand technique. I know that on guitar we use one finger per fret and positions are four frets. Positions on bass should only be three frets, and you should only be using you 1st, 2nd, and 4th fingers. Once you get above the 12th fret switch to 1, 2, and 3.
PanochitaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanochitaPirate
Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist is the best technique book I've ever gotten. It's meant for upright, but it is still great for electric. It will teach you proper scale shapes for bass which are much more movable across strings. That way you can stay lower on the neck where the tone is deeper.

Sounds like a good one.

Quote:
Also, grab a copy of Vivaldi's Sonata No.3 in A minor. There is a version of it for string bass and piano. Trust me, if you learn it on electric you won't believe how much faster you'll get.

Ah, that's an interesting thing to do. Sounds excellent.

Quote:
Finally, the best advice I can give you is to slightly change your left hand technique. I know that on guitar we use one finger per fret and positions are four frets. Positions on bass should only be three frets, and you should only be using you 1st, 2nd, and 4th fingers. Once you get above the 12th fret switch to 1, 2, and 3.

That honestly is the best advice I've heard on bass so far. I've had a lot of issues with position, since my fingers aren't like a basketball player's.

Thank you much, man!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: