Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #1981
Somekid94
Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Yes I do.

I'm convinced mine is the power button. Not only does it do double presses (ie. I will press the button once, to wake the screen, but it will act as if pressed again to bring on the "Power Off" menu) but you have to flick/hit the area around the power button for it to stop doing boot loops, which convinced me it's a hardware issue.

But nope, it isn't the same sorry. My screen just goes straight off, no freeze, then into the Google menu.

Customer service was pretty good on Google's end, but since I didn't buy it from them, they couldn't help.

The Amazon seller wants me to send it back to them so they can verify that the phone malfunctions. I'm a bit leery of that. I've dealt with too many seedy companies that take the product, look at it for a day and say, "You're stupid, operator error. Pay us shipping."

It looks like I'm boned. I don't want to send it back to the seller because of the aforementioned reason, but also because I've been waiting to hear back from a prospective employer and need my phone.

What are my options? Could rooting and flashing CM11 or the like to the device fix this problem? (removing any chance of the joke "warranty" that came with it)

Details: Unlocked Nexus 5 Smartphone running 5.0.1 Lollipop.

Phone force restarts for no foreseeable reason. Phone uptime ranges from 30 minutes to ~72 hours. Averages 24 hours.

Bluetooth connectivity is spotty. When connecting to my car's OEM headunit the phone will stay connected for 5 minutes and unless the connection is used (music, phone call, etc). I was sitting in my car this evening talking to my girlfriend waiting for the car to warm up and noticed that the headunit lost connection with the phone numerous times until we drove away and started playing music and was fine afterwards.

Another issue with the Bluetooth on my phone is that when I connect it to my car and make a phone call or play music, the headunit will lose connection mid-call/song, but only one time. After the initial loss, it will reconnect and connectivity will be fine.

None of these restart or bluetooth issues have happened with my previous phone, a Nexus 4.

The phone isn't slow and other than these two issues, works fine. I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, or a software issue.

Last edited by Somekid94 : 01-25-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Somekid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #1982
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.

Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 is spotty in general. This is across the board with that model phone.

Not saying that's 100% the actual cause of your problems, but just so you know.
How are you so ****ing awesome at music?

><
Spoony_Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #1983
Somekid94
Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony_Bard
Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 is spotty in general. This is across the board with that model phone.

Not saying that's 100% the actual cause of your problems, but just so you know.

Thank you. I wasn't aware that the 5 had crappy Bluetooth from the factory. I'll go off and see if there's a fix for it (hardware or otherwise).

I'm starting to wish I kept my Nexus 4.
Somekid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #1984
Krieger91
I Sold The World

Can anyone give me a complete rundown regarding installing custom ROMS on Android phone's?

What it means and how to do it?

Keep in mind that I seem to have an unwanted ignorant gap regarding this.

It seems the only way to customize my Xperia SP the way I want to. For some reason, I didn't expect Sony to limit the customization that much..

"Does a fish have a watertight asshole?"
"...You a very wise"
Krieger91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #1985
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger91
Can anyone give me a complete rundown regarding installing custom ROMS on Android phone's?

It seems the only way to customize my Xperia SP the way I want to. For some reason, I didn't expect Sony to limit the customization that much..

be really careful. you can brick your phone if you do something stupid. if you do things correctly that won't happen, but make sure you use multiple sources confirming the directions because you don't want to risk your phone

my phone has slimkat on it currently, which is a slimrom version of kitkat.

http://www.slimroms.net/

lollipop is available too, and there are updates routinely for both
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #1986
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somekid94
Thank you. I wasn't aware that the 5 had crappy Bluetooth from the factory. I'll go off and see if there's a fix for it (hardware or otherwise).

I'm starting to wish I kept my Nexus 4.

It's pretty much the only downside to the phone, though. I have one and otherwise, it's fantastic.
How are you so ****ing awesome at music?

><
Spoony_Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #1987
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger91

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...d.php?t=2374601

Seriously, read up as much as you can. Don't want to brick your phone

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #1988
Krieger91
I Sold The World

^Ok, thanks guys

As of now, for the moment I'm quite contect with my phone how it is, running Action Launcher 3.

But, I've been considering thinking about customn ROMS, and I know that sooner or later I'll probably crack an do it

"Does a fish have a watertight asshole?"
"...You a very wise"
Krieger91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #1989
SquierLolz
Eternal Noob

Guys, I need your opinions.

I'm gonna replace my G2 soon, I am growing more tired of it by the day. And while It's still a fine phone. It's time for a new toy.
Now I am stuck between the Nexus 6 and the Note 4. The note 4 has the edge at the moment because of the S pen, which in my eyes adds a lot of functionality not found on the nexus 6. But on the other hand, the nexus 6 will probably stay relevant longer because of the quicker updates (Keep in mind, I'll be buying both off-carrier) and it has no bloatware, while the Note 4 will always be a samsung.

I heard that the nexus 6 has problems with unexplained battery drain though, but I guess this could have been fixed with recent android updates. (any nexus 6 users have an opinion on this?)

So, which is the smarter choice to go for? I'm leaning towards the note because I am a student and figure that the S pen features could be quite useful.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #1990
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierLolz
Guys, I need your opinions.

I'm gonna replace my G2 soon, I am growing more tired of it by the day. And while It's still a fine phone. It's time for a new toy.
Now I am stuck between the Nexus 6 and the Note 4. The note 4 has the edge at the moment because of the S pen, which in my eyes adds a lot of functionality not found on the nexus 6. But on the other hand, the nexus 6 will probably stay relevant longer because of the quicker updates (Keep in mind, I'll be buying both off-carrier) and it has no bloatware, while the Note 4 will always be a samsung.

I heard that the nexus 6 has problems with unexplained battery drain though, but I guess this could have been fixed with recent android updates. (any nexus 6 users have an opinion on this?)

So, which is the smarter choice to go for? I'm leaning towards the note because I am a student and figure that the S pen features could be quite useful.

I've never been a fan of phablets because of my small hands but I'd say go for the note if you're actually going to use it in lectures. You might find that the screen soave isn't big enough for note taking though. If you're not one for fiddling about with settings and tweaking your phone I'd say go for the note. I do notice that having a pure android phone does sometimes increase the amount of tweaking to get it just the way you want it, but if you want something that will just work then go for the note.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #1991
SquierLolz
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOneOut
I've never been a fan of phablets because of my small hands but I'd say go for the note if you're actually going to use it in lectures. You might find that the screen soave isn't big enough for note taking though. If you're not one for fiddling about with settings and tweaking your phone I'd say go for the note. I do notice that having a pure android phone does sometimes increase the amount of tweaking to get it just the way you want it, but if you want something that will just work then go for the note.

I rooted my G2 to get some extra stuff too, so it's not that I'm afraid of it. But it would be nice to buy a phone, boot it up and have it just work. Both will probaly get Nova Launcher installed since I've been using that for over 3 years now, and certain functions that it includes are a must have for me.

The nexus is cheaper though, by quite a bit. Considering this. is the Note still a smart buy? I'm fearing the Note will become obselete quicker because I've heard Samsung are cunts with updates.

Edit: The nexus also seems the superior device for media consumption and gaming, the slightly bigger display and front firing speakers. I do consume media a lot, is that something to consider as a pro?

Last edited by SquierLolz : 01-27-2015 at 02:14 PM.
SquierLolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #1992
Local666Union
i hate my username

I need assistance!
Google voice recognition pops up randomly when I'm connecting my Nexus 4 into my car's AUX port. is this hardware/software issue or cable related?
Local666Union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #1993
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierLolz
I rooted my G2 to get some extra stuff too, so it's not that I'm afraid of it. But it would be nice to buy a phone, boot it up and have it just work. Both will probaly get Nova Launcher installed since I've been using that for over 3 years now, and certain functions that it includes are a must have for me.

The nexus is cheaper though, by quite a bit. Considering this. is the Note still a smart buy? I'm fearing the Note will become obselete quicker because I've heard Samsung are cunts with updates.

Edit: The nexus also seems the superior device for media consumption and gaming, the slightly bigger display and front firing speakers. I do consume media a lot, is that something to consider as a pro?

I'd say the s pen is really the main advantage over the nexus 6 so if you're not too bothered about using it for note taking at school then go for the nexus 6. You'll probably appreciate the extra space a notepad will give you anyway :P

In regards to the nexus 6 battery drain, I found that flashing my nexus 4 to lollipop based CM12 did increase my battery drain but I did notice it seems to be because my phone is constantly being woken up by google play services. I'm using privacy guard ATM to block google play services ability to wake and have done the same for Facebook. So far battery life is better, I think that may be the ideal solution for the lollipop drain but it does require flashing cyanogenmod.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #1994
SquierLolz
Eternal Noob

Ordered myself a 64 Gb Nexus 6. what took me over the edge is the fact that I could get the Nexus for 250 euros cheaper than the note. nothing warrants that price difference for me.
Will post pics and experience when it arrives
Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #1995
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local666Union
I need assistance!
Google voice recognition pops up randomly when I'm connecting my Nexus 4 into my car's AUX port. is this hardware/software issue or cable related?

It happens to me sometimes on my OnePlus One. I think it's an general Android bug.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #1996
SquierLolz
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
It happens to me sometimes on my OnePlus One. I think it's an general Android bug.

It is, My G2 does this sometimes as well

Rate This Thread: