Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
FirasKordi

Fast Practice routine question

hey everyone , am planning to do 2 hours daily routine (that repeats every week) for 7 days , do u recommend me training all techniques each day or spend a whole day on (sweep picking) and the other on (alternate picking) ???

-my routine will be 1 hour technique , 1 hour theory,improvisation,ear training
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
cdgraves

I like to do a warmup with my most frequently used techniques, and then maybe pick one to focus on with the metronome or with songs. Once you get to a certain point you won't need to spend 2+ hours working on one technique.

If you're new to being really picky with technique, you'll probably want to spend time doing 30 minutes or so with each technique until you're competent with them, and then you can integrate them into warm ups.

you'll probably want to break those hour blocks into 15-30 minute focus sessions. Remember that consistency is more important than total amount of time, so if you can 15 minutes of alt picking per day you'll be much better than if you spend 2 hours on it once a week.

Here's my basic warm up/practice:
15 Right hand only
15 Left hand only
15 scales
15 arpeggios

15 sight reading/chart reading
15+ ear training

And then I break down my actual repertoire learning time similarly, when possible. Things like alt/sweep are integrated into scales/arpeggios.

Last edited by cdgraves : 03-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
socrfb

Whatever technique you feel you need to work on, spend about 15-30 minutes each day on it like cdgraves said. Consistently working on techniques will improve them. It's like how people say it's better to play 30 minutes a day rather than 3 hours once a week.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
bondmorkret

If you have 2 hours a day to practice, I'd divide it up into four 30 minutes sessions, preferably with quick breaks in between. Each session should have a clear goal and focus area (technique, ear training, sightreading etc). Organisation is key!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
StuartBahn

Personally, I advise against people try to cover too many areas in one session. It's generally better to dig deep into a small number of areas than to cover too many. There is certainly a balance to be struck though, only ever doing technique would mean neglecting other important areas of playing such as musical vocabulary.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
macashmack
Maskcashmack

How about 2 hours playing and learning songs through transcription?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

Id say setting a 2 hour practice "routine" is a very bad idea. you'll likely get bored of guitar by doing that. I never really set up a routine for myself. If I practice for 2 hours, I just do a 10-15 minute warmup by playing random doodles. spend around 30 minutes to 1 hour playing covers I know, and spend the rest learning something new until I feel like stopping. but thats just me though, everyone should play however they feel like playing at that moment. if you feel like playing 2 hours of covers, great. if you feel like sweep picking 2 hours, great. but you shouldnt just practice for the sake of practicing(unless for a job or event).

by setting up a routine you would innevitably lose interest in guitar. you have to keep evolving and learning in order to stay interested in guitar.

listen to some songs, if you hear something you like, try to copy and change it. practice techniques you dont know whenever you feel like it. try to not make guitar a chore.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
FirasKordi

how do u advise me to learn a song (and do u think its a good idea to write the songs i want to learn names on a paper and organize learning them ? ) , the problem is that my favorite genre is Progressive metal which is freaking hard to play (since i play from 1.7 year) and i dont want to learn what i dont like (80's thrash metal or blues)
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

I find the key to staying interested in guitar and getting better is to keep on learning new/challenging things. making a list of songs you want to learn wont help much, just learn whatever you like at the moment.

the only way I find a routine to be fun and interesting is to set up long and short term goals. something like the best solo you can think of, but cant play can be a long term goal. the short term goals can be learning the various techniques in that solo(learn sweep picking or string skipping etc) and various easier songs(THAT YOU ENJOY) with some of those techniques.

you dont have to learn any music you dont like, ever(unless theres money, obligations, or opportunities involved that you want). just learn song you like. also create some songs and learn some songs by ear as this will help you along the way.

as for creating songs and improvising, it helps alot to know your scales and keys.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustapr
(unless theres money, obligations, or opportunities involved that you want)

I wouldn't relegate those things to parentheses. Anyone willing and able to sit down for 2+ hours every day has the potential to develop professional-level skills. And being a professional means doing stuff for more than one's own amusement.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: