Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #941
andrew.fox

Hey all! Long time lurker, for time poster.

Currently I am playing an Epiphone Semi-Hollow Union Jack Supernova (the Noel Gallagher guitar, here's link http://www.rareelectricguitar.com/Epiphone-Supernova-Union-Jack-Guitar-sale_2355.html). I am playing on an AC-15 these days, and I am not digging the way this guitar and amp sounds together. The Epiphone comes through really muddy (can't get clear tone) and if I kick in some overdrive it sounds even more washed. It's got 2 Humbuckers (Alnico 57 pickups).

I am looking for a more clear, but "controllable" sound. Kinda like the pickups in a Gretsch Duo Jet (though not sure this epiphone could use that same dual switch setup). I would like something more clear-toned, but able to play some of that bluesy, gritty, Jack White-y/Old Black Keys-y kind of stuff. Does that make sense?

I would like to stay around $150-200, but would also like to hear "money isn't a factor" options (besides just buying the Duo Jet, which I considered )

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
andrew.fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #942
Outside Octaves
Thinking about the octave

Looking at getting the Seymour Duncan 59' Custom Hybrid... both bridge and neck models... possibly.

Would it go good with the guitar I was given as a gift ?
As I don't know if this guitar is considered "balanced and warm"? lol.

I mean I know it's made of Agathis, with a Flame-Maple top, and rosewood fingerboard... sounds like it "should" be warm and balanced, but with a bit of a darker tone possibly as it's tonally related to Mahogany according to this site.
As this site sais Mahogany is dark yet warm, with a lot of bottom end.

And this site sais about rosewood " featuring a bell-like attack and a rich, high-fidelity ring."

So in the end I'm guessing this all combines for a "balanced and warm, if a (little) dark" tone... so would this be suitable for that guitar?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Last edited by Outside Octaves : 12-13-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Outside Octaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: