What happened? Did it break?
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #883
PaulyVengeance
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Jay
What happened? Did it break?

It fell off the shelf it was on, and 90% of the torso shattered and went everywhere. All that's left is the legs.
PaulyVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #884
Amuro Jay
UG Member

You mean the legs are the only thing left in tact?

Could be the start of a diorama If only there was a PG Tallgeese III to stand victoriously over it
Old 04-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #885
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

Jaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Recommend me some sites for buying Gundam markers/paints? Also tutorials on how?
DukeDeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #886
Amuro Jay
UG Member

For Gundam Markers you'd wanna just look at sites like Gundam Planet, that's where I initially got my markers from.

Fine tipped Gundam Markers are used for panel lining mainly. They're best to be used on unpainted kits. However, paint washes are much better for panel lining. They're a little trickier to get right, but they look great when they're done. Gundam Paint Markers are generally used for touchups on unpainted kits resulting from nub marks/flashes on the plastic after cutting and sanding. It's generally not a good idea to try to cover a whole kit in them.

For paints, you can use a wide variety from local hobby shops. Testors makes paints for model cars and aircrafts, and they'll work (I've used them, I like them), but Tamiya acrylic paints are very popular with Gundam modelers (I've used these as well and I also like them). Tamiya is definitely a little harder to find and more expensive, though. You'd have to check out specialty hobby stores rather than Hobby Lobby or something.

Remember, paints almost always need to be thinned before using them, and it's important to match your thinner with your type of paint (acrylic vs enamel vs lacquer). Acrylics are easiest to work with, as they're the most forgiving, but aren't the most durable. They're great for base coats and things, as you can apply enamel clear coats and washes over them.

If you want to paint a Gundam, your project will generally go like priming > base coats > detailing > clear coats. One thing I want to point out is that any painting/priming you do, regardless of whether it's hand painted, spray painted, or airbrushed, should consist of many thin coats. Thick coats of paint are always bad. You lose detail and get a bad finish on them.

This blog gives you tons of tips for painting Gundams and most of what I've learned comes from this site: http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide

I'd be happy to try to answer any specific questions that you might have.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:41 AM   #887
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

You da best I want to sand down bits and paint my Gouf Flight type so it looks amazing like in the manual.

Just wondering how it's done. I've seen some that are way too detailed and awesome for me to do right away but I'll get there I may buy a cheap Zaku to test on.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #888
Amuro Jay
UG Member

For that you're gonna wanna paint accordingly, then do a wash for the lining, and after all that you'll wanna weather it. A clear coat should go in between each step. Gloss coats are necessary for washes because the paint needs a smooth surface to run through. After the wash another clear coat should go on before the weathering, and that one will be gloss or flat depending on which technique you're using.

If you're planning on doing decals, those should be done before the coat that comes before weathering. The project flow chart on that site will help.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #889
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

Gotcha, watched some vids and read some stuff. Building a shopping list now, including a stand so I can display it when I'm done

Gonna have a lot to paint, the whole kit has only 2 colors and the dark plastic bits aren't quite right. Painting inside the boosters is gonna take some patience.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 AM   #890
Amuro Jay
UG Member

Gundam Eclipse is a pretty helpful place to learn things and ask questions. I'm over there too, but the traffic is even slower than UG, if that's believable. Lots of handy guides and such over there.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 AM   #891
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

Eh, as long as they have info I can search and read, traffic is no prob. I also checked out the gunpla subreddit for some tips.

I just don't want to **** up one of my favorite mobile suits, so info and technique is good to have
Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #892
Amuro Jay
UG Member

It's always good to practice on a few kits before you get serious. Unfortunately, I never finished my practice kit >_>
Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #893
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

Have any pictures of any builds you've done personally?

Shit like this blows my mind and inspires me:

show

Rate This Thread: