Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #481
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ead
I'm just kidding/frustrated about tossing it lol.. I'm always up for DIY fixes, but when it comes to something as valuable and dangerous as this , I'm just gonna take it to a tech. But I am kinda curious.. and here's a crazy uninformed question.. would it be damaging or dangerous to remove the tubes, put it in standby and replace one at at time to try isolate it?

it would not be advisable. you are kinda doing the same thing by touching them with a pencil. if the tube was vibrating then when you touch it with a pencil it would either stop or the sound would significantly change while you were holding the pencil on it. so i don't see much benefit in pulling the tubes.

i am a bit unsure if you would actually damage anything though. i wouldn't be too concerned about removing the preamp tubes, but i am not sure about the power amp tubes.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #482
red444

Im new to all this and had a few questions about heads and speakers/cabs. Ive been researching online and on YouTube and ive found that for the sound and tone i want is a peavey 6505 head and the Orange closed back cab 212. I aslo have a washburn xm with the floyd rose special. So the sounds im trying to get is is anywhere from classic rock to metal chunky stuff. I also enjoy my acoustic guitar i have a wide range of music i enjoy. But my question is would that cab and that head get me what i want? And also wich speakers would give me that fat chunky squaling tones to the bluesy southern rock/ pink floyd range? Thanks
red444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #483
Ragnorak6000

I have to replace the holder block on my Ibanez Edge zero tremolo, now I'm just wondering there seems to be a lot of holder blocks with different names out there, are they all the same? Would it work if I picked up a edge II holder block because I cant seem to locate an edge zero block anywhere! Or should I just look into getting a new saddle?

Last edited by Ragnorak6000 : 07-26-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Ragnorak6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #484
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by red444
Im new to all this and had a few questions about heads and speakers/cabs. Ive been researching online and on YouTube and ive found that for the sound and tone i want is a peavey 6505 head and the Orange closed back cab 212.
Now go to a music store and try them - that's the only way to know if they do sound like what you want.
Quote:
But my question is would that cab and that head get me what i want? And also wich speakers would give me that fat chunky squaling tones to the bluesy southern rock/ pink floyd range? Thanks
Probably.
Eminence v12 or WGS v30 maybe?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #485
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Im new to all this and had a few questions about heads and speakers/cabs. Ive been researching online and on YouTube and ive found that for the sound and tone i want is a peavey 6505 head and the Orange closed back cab 212. I aslo have a washburn xm with the floyd rose special. So the sounds im trying to get is is anywhere from classic rock to metal chunky stuff. I also enjoy my acoustic guitar i have a wide range of music i enjoy. But my question is would that cab and that head get me what i want? And also wich speakers would give me that fat chunky squaling tones to the bluesy southern rock/ pink floyd range? Thanks

a 6505 is going to be more aimed at those heavier tones. not a problem if that's what you mainly play. if you play a genuine 50:50 mixture, though, there might be better options. EDIT: same thing with the speakers, it depends on whether you want a genuine mix or if you mainly play one but occasionally want the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorak6000
I have to replace the holder block on my Ibanez Edge zero tremolo, now I'm just wondering there seems to be a lot of holder blocks with different names out there, are they all the same? Would it work if I picked up a edge II holder block because I cant seem to locate an edge zero block anywhere! Or should I just look into getting a new saddle?

i'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but i imagine you need the right one. have you looked on ibanez rules? it has a list of all the parts and part numbers of ibanez parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #486
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Besides a Pedaltrain Pro, anyone know any good 30+ inch pedalboards that can accommodate a power strip on the underside? I need to put my HD500 and amp footswitch next to each other :/ Damn Laney and their 9 inch long footswitches.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #487
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Besides a Pedaltrain Pro, anyone know any good 30+ inch pedalboards that can accommodate a power strip on the underside? I need to put my HD500 and amp footswitch next to each other :/ Damn Laney and their 9 inch long footswitches.

i only know myself, not you. but i really wouldn't bother much with just an
MFX unit and a foot switch. most people have 5-10+ pedals on the board.

honestly i would rather travel with the POD and pod in a bag.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #488
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i only know myself, not you. but i really wouldn't bother much with just an
MFX unit and a foot switch. most people have 5-10+ pedals on the board.

honestly i would rather travel with the POD and pod in a bag.

I'm getting an OD in the mail soon as well and it would just be easier and neater to have them all on a board. I was going to run a power strip underneath with a 1 Spot and the POD power supply. OD before the amp, POD in the FX loop.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #489
Danustar

Necks and boards are laterally longitudinally symmetrical right?

So a reverse headstock is essentially just a lefty neck, markings and logos notwithstanding?

Last edited by Danustar : 07-28-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Danustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #490
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

And a reversed nut.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #491
Danustar

Yep.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #492
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

some guitars have asymmetrical necks, though. musicman is the one that springs to mind.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #493
Danustar

Ah yeah of course, and Parker stuff. Just reading up on it now it sounds like it's more common than I realised. Apparently Gibson has a few models kicking around with it.

Reason for my question was a project idea I'm toying with that involves a reverse Strat head. Figure I'll just pick up a Mighty Mite lefty or something similar.

Just an idea atm - based loosely on this sexy mongrel http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_sa...ed_white_mn.htm
Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM   #494
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

A strat neck has a symmetrical heel. Just replace the nut and you're right to go.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #495
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^^ no worries, just checking you were aware of it. the fact that most makers who use the asymmetrical neck make a pretty big deal of it would suggest that symmetrical is the more usual shape... though with all marketing things that might be reading too much into it.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: