Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #19161
NewDayHappy
Tittytwister
 
NewDayHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Because my shoulder gives me problems with DB incline press and I don't like doing barbell work for high reps. Also, this is a once a month routine. And how do you propose I fit in 5 sets of 20 pullups into a routine like that?



I'll consider that. Wasn't really sure how to design a high rep leg program since I hate quad and hamstring isolation work so much.


I'd slightly modify it a bit and just do as many reps as you can of pull ups.

Not sure what to say about your shoulder issues, that sucks you can't do inclines for chest. I'd be careful with building your lower pecs up too much if you can't do incline presses, your chest will look droopy and sag a bit. Maybe you could do incline presses at the very end of your workout when your exhausted and you don't need to use as heavy of weights?
__________________
Martin D16GT
Epiphone SG Special
Marshall DSL40C
Boss DS-1
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #19162
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy
I'd slightly modify it a bit and just do as many reps as you can of pull ups.

Not sure what to say about your shoulder issues, that sucks you can't do inclines for chest. I'd be careful with building your lower pecs up too much if you can't do incline presses, your chest will look droopy and sag a bit. Maybe you could do incline presses at the very end of your workout when your exhausted and you don't need to use as heavy of weights?

Why? I do pullups all the time. I also do incline barbell press and overhead press all the time. And it's not the weight that's the problem with incline DB press. I've had my shoulder pop out during my warmups.

EDIT: I also don't really ever do decline press or dips when I'm working chest. Usually I'll do either flat or incline bench press, cable crossovers or flys, and pushups.

Last edited by TheChaz : 08-30-2014 at 09:13 PM.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #19163
NewDayHappy
Tittytwister
 
NewDayHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Why? I do pullups all the time. I also do incline barbell press and overhead press all the time. And it's not the weight that's the problem with incline DB press. I've had my shoulder pop out during my warmups.

EDIT: I also don't really ever do decline press or dips when I'm working chest. Usually I'll do either flat or incline bench press, cable crossovers or flys, and pushups.


I'd do barbell incline presses first when your fresh, use a weight you can do 20 reps with.

Pullups are what really threw my back over the top, at 223lbs I was doing 22-26 reps usually behind the neck. My lats exploded.

Dips are the only lower chest exercise I will do because I find that my lower pecs are thicker then the upper pecs. That's why I usually bomb incline presses early on while I have my strength and I can go heavier. Dips I do at the end most of the time.
__________________
Martin D16GT
Epiphone SG Special
Marshall DSL40C
Boss DS-1
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #19164
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy
I'd do barbell incline presses first when your fresh, use a weight you can do 20 reps with.

Pullups are what really threw my back over the top, at 223lbs I was doing 22-26 reps usually behind the neck. My lats exploded.

Dips are the only lower chest exercise I will do because I find that my lower pecs are thicker then the upper pecs. That's why I usually bomb incline presses early on while I have my strength and I can go heavier. Dips I do at the end most of the time.

Like I already said, I don't like doing high rep work with barbells. And also like I already said, I do pullups all the time.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:13 AM   #19165
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
 
jambi_mantra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Should use a pec deck coz ya know that's the only way to target to mid quadrant of the upper back
__________________
MELBOURNE UNI GRIDIRON CLUB 2014 SEASON
ROYALS 0-3
LIONS 0-3-1


Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #19166
LolCatGuitar
devoted to the cause
 
LolCatGuitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
light light light day today
power snatches up to 95lbs for 6+ singles
power clean & jerk 1+2 up to 145lbs for 2 singles
paused front squat @ 165lbs
a few mins of doing jerks infront and behind the neck with the bar
took me ~1hr
training every day is best
__________________
nevar forget
15-16/05/14
rip dt, pimp c, dj screw and people

i left real music i am the 95% of the teen come at me
Do you like chill music? What a coincidence! I like to make chill music!!
LolCatGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #19167
angusfan16
butts
 
angusfan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kensucky
Can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow morning. Ima bust out 225 for 30 reps on bench
__________________
Tool
is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head
angusfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #19168
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Steep trails
I'm walking 10-12 miles through the woods tomorrow
__________________
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #19169
NewDayHappy
Tittytwister
 
NewDayHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow morning. Ima bust out 225 for 30 reps on bench


Let me guess, your max bench is around 400 correct?
__________________
Martin D16GT
Epiphone SG Special
Marshall DSL40C
Boss DS-1
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #19170
angusfan16
butts
 
angusfan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kensucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy
Let me guess, your max bench is around 400 correct?



hell no i wish! I just feel pumped enough about going to the gym tomorrow that i feel like i could do that. Reality my max is 215. I know i could get 225 though, maybe even 235.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I'm walking 10-12 miles through the woods tomorrow



I'm actually doing the same after my workout. Thinking about ziplining too.
__________________
Tool
is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head
angusfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #19171
NewDayHappy
Tittytwister
 
NewDayHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
hell no i wish! I just feel pumped enough about going to the gym tomorrow that i feel like i could do that. Reality my max is 215. I know i could get 225 though, maybe even 235.



Oh, I saw your picture in the one thread, I can't think of it, but you looked pretty jacked. When my bench was 300lbs, I could do 135 about 26-30x that's why I figured you could do 400.
__________________
Martin D16GT
Epiphone SG Special
Marshall DSL40C
Boss DS-1
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #19172
angusfan16
butts
 
angusfan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kensucky
Chest is unfortunately my weakest area now. I think i did dumbbell work too much and for too long, never focused on benching at all. Started benching regularly back in January and i think i started out doing only about 145 lbs. Since then my chest has gotten a lot stronger and fuller, but it's still not where i'd like it to be. I hate that i can pull off a friggen 315 lb squat or 350 lb deadlift but i sit down on bench and i do like 200 for barely 8 reps.


It's even worse when one of my friends who competes is working out with me and he's doing like 450 for 5 or 6 reps. I'm not a small guy by any means, but shit he makes me feel like a toddler
__________________
Tool
is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head
angusfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #19173
NewDayHappy
Tittytwister
 
NewDayHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Chest is unfortunately my weakest area now. I think i did dumbbell work too much and for too long, never focused on benching at all. Started benching regularly back in January and i think i started out doing only about 145 lbs. Since then my chest has gotten a lot stronger and fuller, but it's still not where i'd like it to be. I hate that i can pull off a friggen 315 lb squat or 350 lb deadlift but i sit down on bench and i do like 200 for barely 8 reps.


It's even worse when one of my friends who competes is working out with me and he's doing like 450 for 5 or 6 reps. I'm not a small guy by any means, but shit he makes me feel like a toddler


You got a good framework though, dumbbells build muscle better IMO. I couldn't careless about how much I bench, I just want to look good. That's my thing. You'll be benching 300+ in no time. 400-450lbs will probably be your peak, if you want to go past that, you may have to do steroids.
__________________
Martin D16GT
Epiphone SG Special
Marshall DSL40C
Boss DS-1
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #19174
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Went light on chest today. My neck and traps have been super tight the last month, and now the tightness is working its way into my shoulder. That's exacerbated by the fact that I broke my collarbone when I was younger and that shoulder is already bad.

Bench
135 1x10
165 1x10
185 3x10

Flys
25 1x15
35 1x15
50 1x12

dips 3x10

Working into my 3rd set of dips, my shoulder started acting up, so I decided to call it.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #19175
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
And I know that feel Angus. I've hit a 405 deadlift, a 325 squat, and I probably max on bench at 265. Oh well. I'd rather have strong legs and back and a weak chest than a strong chest and weak legs and back.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:47 PM   #19176
eli7121
----
 
eli7121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ----
I know that feel too. Hit 390lb dead, 300lb squat, and 245 bench (142lb BW). I've probably benched more than squat and deadlift combined because I used to so much and not do any lower body. I agree with Chaz though, back and legs are definitely more important in terms of strength and function.
__________________
----
eli7121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:59 PM   #19177
angusfan16
butts
 
angusfan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kensucky
The feels are real.




Chest workout today was badass. Didn't try a new max yet, still feel a little shaky from week off, but maybe Thursday i'll go for 235.


Hiking was badass too, except for the part where my phone got soaking wet and now the screen is ****ed. (in my defense, i had my phone in my bag and there wasn't a single rain cloud in the sky until it down poured all of a sudden.)


chest
__________________
Tool
is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head
angusfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.