Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #4941
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Actually the Kimino's tutorial combined with the chubby youtube guy is awesome, and im actually finaly getting somewhere with grit. It just seems hard to control, and it changes my voice quite a bit.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 AM   #4942
LuoKey

Kimino, here are my results

So, I think I managed to do it. I guess it's all about tightening your chords? That yelling part you told me about like: "Hey!!" really helped me. But I noticed it's much harder to hit higher notes with grit singing. Is that normal? And are there like any tricks with which I can lower my grit just a bit?

Thanks! You really helped me<3
LuoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #4943
LuoKey

Ok, here's my test. It would be good if you can listen to that part of "The Fight" Avenged Sevenfold song and compare it to this... Am I on a good track ?

https://soundcloud.com/luka-petri-e...-test-the-fight

btw. I can actually do it a bit better, when I do it now, but nevermind.

edit: Standing A LOT BETTER, but I hope you can judge the technique in that upper one, gonna update you again, cause that link upper is not really good.

Last edited by LuoKey : 03-11-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #4944
Kimino394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian_87.5
Kimino, so I should stop doing what I'm doing with the screams and try a different method? My current method revolves around making the weak fry sound, then sort of yelling into it. It is a super fine balance, but I can't do that long at all. I am not sure how else to turn the fry sound into a scream. I'm not really singing over it persay, but it has more voice in it.

I can't really say, "You should stop", because when I was hurting my voice, I didn't stop. But you shouldn't just keep doing what you're doing and expect to get better out of nowhere. What I did to get to the point where it didn't hurt is I experimented, made slight adjustments over time until I could copy Phil Bozeman's lows without being in pain, at which point I decided, "Okay. I can do what I need to with fry's. Now I'll just edit it more if I need to."
So the four important things are as follows.
1: Experiment to see how you can do it differently until you don't get tired AND it sounds the way you want it to.
2: Practice almost every day.
3: Goes with two. Practice every day, but ALSO practice your normal voice. Even if you NEVER want to sing. What you use to make normal sound and fry is the same part of your body, and it's a muscle. If you don't exercise the whole muscle, it's going to get hurt. Maybe permanently. You don't want that.
4: Conflicts slightly with the previous two. If you feel like you're getting too tired, stop. If you wake up with a tired throat, do not practice that day. Even if you feel better later. You need to wake up feeling chipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkyporky
Actually the Kimino's tutorial combined with the chubby youtube guy is awesome, and im actually finaly getting somewhere with grit. It just seems hard to control, and it changes my voice quite a bit.

Right? Even now (But a lot less than when I began) my grit made me sound (to me) very.. I guess "Country rock", like I had this massive western accent, it was weird as hell. I think I've managed to mostly get rid of it though. And yeah, in the beginning all I could do is make this one singular sound without any words. To practice it, I would sing "Walk" by Pantera. Yes, sing. And then right after, I would try to layer a TINY bit of grit onto the singing. Kept doing that until I could sing it with sufficient grit and note control. For my liking, anyway.

@LuoKey: Hm.. Tightening your chords.. It certainly could feel like that in the beginning, but do try to make sure you're tightening your false chords. Sounds like you are though, from the clip.
It is normal to struggle with higher notes when you use grit, because you're now working with two things at once and high notes are just usually harder for people to do. This is why you do something on pitch without any grit, then throw grit onto it. If you do it like that, your pitch will stay they same. As I've said though, it is something difficult to learn.
The most important thing I can say to you is that you mustn't use grit to substitute belting. If you're getting your volume and power from the grit itself, you're liable to hurt yourself. Your volume and power should come from your voice, then just throw the grit over it. I'm still struggling with this, as I instinctively add grit onto anything where I go loud D:
Btw, the clip is sounding really good. You just need to learn to control the application of the grit abit, but it's going to sound awesome dude. Good luck!
Kimino394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #4945
LuoKey

Thanks, I'm gonna post an update after a week maybe, so we can see if I improved :P

Again, you are a big help! You and Merridan, thanks for what you're doing here for free :*
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #4946
Meridian_87.5

Thanks Kimino. I'll keep working at it. I'm going to experiment with the grit this weekend. However, I have yet to engage my false chords so I'm hoping that this will help me along the path.
Meridian_87.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #4947
merriman44

Fantastic! Kimino keep kicking assets!

I've reviewed some folks recent submissions and they sound like they are on their way. Great job dudes!

LuoKey, I love that you called me Merridan hahaha. Anyway, since you all are making progress, I'm just going to watch the forum for now. If anyone needs something from me, don't hesitate to speak up. Until then good luck and always remember to use your hatred!

\m/ \m/
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 AM   #4948
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Just as a curiosity, has anyone seen this:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/201...e-of-screaming/

It's really interesting to see someone with academic background delve into screaming, but i cant fund any other articles about this, except a few in german (which of course i dont speak).
Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #4949
karoly.nagy17

So I've been working on my highs lately, not a lot but whenever I could, and the sound kinda changed? I mean now there's like a very high pitch.. something, over it it still feels normal though, doesn't hurt or anything. Anyone could tell me what technique am I using or something like that? Thank you

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1BxiKNrdiBS
(Sorry for the poor audio quality, but Vocaroo compresses it and my phone kinda sucks as well :') )
karoly.nagy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 AM   #4950
Kimino394

Looks interesting Gorky, but I'm a bit lazy.. So I'm not gonna read it now D: Will. . Like.. Later. And stuff.

karoly.nagy17, sounds like a fry scream with a *****boat of headvoice thrown in. Also: Ouch, that was loud. My speakers were on high volume for some reason -_-
Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #4951
Cheeseshark

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'd be surprised if it hadn't, but what exactly is
George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher using in terms of vocals? He goes between lows and a fairly high scream on Evisceration Plague no I'm assuming its not just normal false chord. Thanks.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #4952
Kimino394

Uh.. Just went and listened to Evisceration plague. That entire song is just one low false chord with a lot of gut and a little voice. No highs there whatsoever. Unless you were listening to a live version, in which case you'd need to provide a link. But yeah, the studio version is just low false chords with no other techniques.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #4953
Cheeseshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimino394
Uh.. Just went and listened to Evisceration plague. That entire song is just one low false chord with a lot of gut and a little voice. No highs there whatsoever. Unless you were listening to a live version, in which case you'd need to provide a link. But yeah, the studio version is just low false chords with no other techniques.

Sorry, my previous post was worded poorly. By high I meant the slightly higher growl at 3:18-ish.

The more I think of it the more I realize that Chris Barnes did that like a billion times as well. Apparently I don't know what a real high scream sounds like. The main reason I asked this question at all is because a possibly less than reliable website had an article saying that he used a "more vocal fried approach to screaming, and I had no idea if that meant he actually used a fry or some strange mix. Thanks for clearing that up! And sorry again for the confusion.

Last edited by Cheeseshark : 03-16-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 AM   #4954
Kimino394

I didn't hear the high part -_- my bad. Made a demo.. Type thing of what I think is going on in George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher's throat. Here it is . Sorry about that mistake.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #4955
merriman44

Anybody know what Townsend does for his aggressive vocals in Kingdom?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #4956
merriman44

To me it sounds like alot of vocal compression up in his head. Like standard fry but not pussified, it has a ton of voice in it.

I can't figure out how to get the fry tone up into the higher parts of my throat. The lock has always caused some amount of pain like I'm rubbing my cords on sand paper. Fun... Not.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #4957
Cheeseshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Probably inflammation, just like the above poster.

Put up a clip.

Sorry it took me forever to actually get the time alone to record something short. Does this sound right? It feels different from what when I was doing the heavy sigh.
Haven't had much time to practice lately so I haven't made much progress unfortunately. Sorry again for taking absolutely forever.

http://yourlisten.com/Cheeseshark/f...hord-attempts-2

Also thanks a ton Kimino! That was very helpful.

Last edited by Cheeseshark : 03-21-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #4958
kalvsylta

Hello!
I know both how to false chord and fry scream but the problem comes to fry screaming.
I can fry scream for about four songs then it's like my fry gets "hoarse", not my actual voice, just the ability to fry - and I can't fry anymore for one hour or so.
Do someone know the solution to this?

The same to false chording, it somewhat weakens my ability to fry.
I need to learn how to combine both frying and false chording directly after one another.
kalvsylta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: