Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

UK Cheapest guitar brands in the UK?

Hi guys,

I know I have made a lot of threads lately and I apologize, but I just wanted to check something quickly... what is the cheapest brands of guitar here in the UK?

I ask because I get recommendations off people of guitars that are cheap in the USA but are much more expensive here in Britain, such as the Taylor guitars. I know they are USA guitars, so obviously would be cheaper, but in some cases a guitar would cost about $400 (240) and then here it would be about 420!

So, what are the best priced acoustics here in the UK? Reasonably priced guitars? Whatever you want to call it!

Thanks a lot
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

I've heard nothing but good things about Faith acoustics, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the subject.

Here's my SoundCloud Page
(Mostly rough demos/protos)
And my Bandcamp
(Much the same, but expensive)
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Ye I was just looking and Faith and the Naked series seems like a great Budget guitar with all solid body and they seem like a good company
Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

You could always look second-hand for an acoustic guitar?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Garthman

Yeah. Our US cousins pay much less for USA-made guitars than we do - it's something you have to live with (VAT, shipping etc). But the answer is - don't buy a US made guitar.

Years ago when I started playing there was not much choice around - you either coughed up megabucks to buy a US-made guitar like a Gibson or Martin (which few people could afford) or you went for a cheaper European-made guitar like an Eko or Hohner (my first steel string was an Eko Ranger VI which I still play regularly although it does not compare with some of the brands I've listed below).

Nowadays there is a plethora of excellent guitars available to us from PacRim countries that are equal in quality to US brands but at much cheaper prices. Look at: Crafter, Cort, LAG, Recording King, Yamaha, Tanglewood, Vintage, Faith, Indie, etc - all great guitars that compare very well in all aspects to USA / Canadian guitars and which, spec for spec, will be between 1/3 and 1/2 cheaper. It's very hard to go wrong.

Last edited by Garthman : 01-24-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Garthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Ye I tried a tanglewood TW170 and it sounded pretty nice and was pretty cheap. O am interested in the crafter T035 as it is very cheap and apparently pretty good
Old 01-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Garthman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMaster
Ye I tried a tanglewood TW170 and it sounded pretty nice and was pretty cheap. O am interested in the crafter T035 as it is very cheap and apparently pretty good

IMHO the Crafter T035 is probably one of the best value-for-money guitar on the market.

His is a vid showing our old friend "frets99" demoing his:

Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Ye I've watched that video about 3 times hahaha seems the only good real demo for the crafter!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I've had my Crafter JE18 for a good 10 years now, played loads of gigs with it & its still going strong. Couldn't have asked for a better guitar, and I only paid about 200-250ish (can't remember exact amount) for it.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

They must be pretty good I haven't heard a bad thing about any of their models. I will have to try one out
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
Garthman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I've had my Crafter JE18 for a good 10 years now, played loads of gigs with it & its still going strong. Couldn't have asked for a better guitar, and I only paid about 200-250ish (can't remember exact amount) for it.

Yes ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

My Crafter TD06 is coming up to 10 years old too. I think I paid around 300 for it back then and it's probably the best 300 I've ever spent.

Last edited by Garthman : 01-25-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Rate This Thread: