Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo
 
pAWNlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Trouble with falsettos

a few weeks ago, i came down with some kind of illness. what it was, i cant say for sure, but all i know is that out of nowhere my throat became really dry and rough, and my singing/screaming abilities were pretty much gone for about a week

now im back in good health; i can sing and scream again; but i struggle with my falsetto now, as well as the notes on the border of my head and chest voice (in other words, my range is now limited)

before the illness, i actually had a really strong falsetto, and was fairly adept with transitioning between registers; so its not like this is something ive always struggled with

main point: does anybody know if, when, or how i can get my falsetto/head voice back? it wasnt caused by me damaging it or anything because it came out of nowhere
__________________
How funny is this joke?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
queenofthenight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Sounds like your voice hasn't completely recovered yet. Yeah, you may feel fine, but there's a difference between talking and producing sustained notes at the extremes of your range. Try just gentle vocal exercises for a week, stopping at the first hint of fatigue. No screaming, no pushing in any regard. Just baby your vocal cords for a while longer. I find that the longer I'm sick or the harder the illness hits, the longer it takes for the extremes of my range to feel and sound right. Also, limit talking if you can. If it persists, consult a teacher who can assess you in person.
__________________
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
queenofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo
 
pAWNlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
thanks for the input man! do you know any exercises i should try?
__________________
How funny is this joke?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
merriman44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Is it possible Pawn, that you are worried about your falsetto and thus pushing it too much? I have a tendency to lock mine up especially if I feel it failing. This just leads to it dying and me having a very difficult time transitioning registers, much the same as you are talking about.

For exercises, descending and ascending "oo's" and "eh's" that transition from chest voice to falsetto are really helpful for me. But Queen is right. I think you told me just last week that you were at 60-80% and then had a gig that weekend. I'm sure that didn't help the recovery process.

I've never heard your falsetto. Do you have a clip? I'm curious to hear it.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo
 
pAWNlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Is it possible Pawn, that you are worried about your falsetto and thus pushing it too much? I have a tendency to lock mine up especially if I feel it failing. This just leads to it dying and me having a very difficult time transitioning registers, much the same as you are talking about.

For exercises, descending and ascending "oo's" and "eh's" that transition from chest voice to falsetto are really helpful for me. But Queen is right. I think you told me just last week that you were at 60-80% and then had a gig that weekend. I'm sure that didn't help the recovery process.

I've never heard your falsetto. Do you have a clip? I'm curious to hear it.

unfortunately i dont have any. but an example of what i used to be able to do would be "supremacy" by muse. now, its as if it cuts out on certain pitches, and air just passes through without making a pitch

also, i forgot to mention, i do have a problem with chest congestion. would that affect it much?
__________________
How funny is this joke?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
merriman44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Certainly. Chest congestion comes from post nasal drip usually (unless you have other problems). This can irritate your throat. Do you wake up with sore throats often?

This summer has been pretty brutal on my respiratory track when it comes to singing. Lots of plugged noses and such.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo
 
pAWNlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Certainly. Chest congestion comes from post nasal drip usually (unless you have other problems). This can irritate your throat. Do you wake up with sore throats often?

This summer has been pretty brutal on my respiratory track when it comes to singing. Lots of plugged noses and such.

ive had a problem with both chest and sinus congestion for a long time now, though i dont get sore throats. i think the whole congestion problem is just something ill need to see either a doctor, or an ear-nose-throat specialist about because im constantly coughing and hocking stuff up
__________________
How funny is this joke?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
merriman44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Report back with what you find. I've had sinus congestion for what seems like ages. It doesn't affect False cord schtuff, but certainly makes my higher notes come out alot more nasally and kills some of my head resonance. I'm about to start taking a half a pill of benadryl every day and see if that helps.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo
 
pAWNlol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Report back with what you find. I've had sinus congestion for what seems like ages. It doesn't affect False cord schtuff, but certainly makes my higher notes come out alot more nasally and kills some of my head resonance. I'm about to start taking a half a pill of benadryl every day and see if that helps.

same here man. doensnt affect my screams at all, but it does hinder my high notes. just like you said, it kills my head resonance
__________________
How funny is this joke?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
queenofthenight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pAWNlol
thanks for the input man! do you know any exercises i should try?


Scales, simple stuff like do mi so do so mi do (1 3 5 1 5 3 1 if you prefer scale degrees to solfege syllables). Simple and gentle is the way to go till your voice is back to normal. Stop at the first sign of fatigue. Don't push your voice. If you were used to bench pressing a certain weight and broke your arm, would you try to do your usual weight the first week you were out of the cast? No. Same principle with your voice. Just like the broken arm will eventually be back up to full strength, your voice will be too as long as you take care of it.

And yeah, the longer you hack, the longer it will take for your voice to get completely back to normal.
__________________
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker

Last edited by queenofthenight : 08-05-2014 at 01:05 AM.
queenofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.