Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
jaymzz31

About Holding the pick

Alright guys i'm playing guitar for 2 years now . My first 1,5 year past without caring much about my playing but after the first year I drastically improved my playing but I think I have a bad habit from the past and here it is :

I cant remember how I was holding the pick in the first years .From the first day I started I held it with my thumb and index but put the pick in the different parts of index.For the last six months I got used to the grip which is in the first picture (pick is on the first knuckle=). I made a lot of progress with that but I have never been happy with it there's always some questions in my head and after my finals I decided to change to the method suggested by most people . In the first times it was very uncomfortable .Despite i feel the pick is battling with my index finger , at the same time it gave my a better control . Now in the Internet many people suggest holding it like picture 2 but when I play with that grip I eventually end up doing the grip in the picture 3 which I find more comfortable.The grip in the picture 1 now feels bad I dont want to do it anymore . Is there a huge difference between 2 and 3 . The reason why I asking is 2 is suggested by most people but I slightly changed to 3 because I find it more comfortable.

Whatever , I'm waiting for your answers . Thanks in advance . Peace

Pictures :

Picture 1 : [IMG][/IMG] (on the knuckle , at leats 1 year of playing like this)

Picture 2 : [IMG][/IMG] (tip of the index and tip of the pix is showing exactly the same place , suggested by many people)

Picture 3 : [IMG][/IMG] (this a slightly altered version of the picture 2.This is how I feel most comfortable in playing although it hurts the skin just above the skin a little.)
jaymzz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

have you tried playing with your middle finger as well? that should help with the control issue quite a bit and give you a bit of an advantage on your upstrokes.

as long as you pick from the wrist predominantly, alleviate any tension or pain you might be feeling, and practice economy of motion, proper muting, and a consistent tone, whatever's comfortable will be best for you.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
walter1

Just hold your pick however you feel is the most comfortable, I play while holding my pick as in the third picture. It doesn't really matter how you hold your pick tough, as long as you don't encounter tension or pain.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Reages

like walter1 said hold your pick how you feel is most comfortable, for example i hold pick with thumb and middle finger and i don't think this is recommended in any way, but it works really well for me
Reages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
jaymzz31

I know that very little of the pick should be showing when looking from above because it means less frinction and force from the string . The reason why a part of me insists on picture 2 is that I want as little as possible pick showing from below as well . In picture 3 there's more showing but would it be a problem ?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
wedy1414

I hold my fingers fairly close to the tip and I angle the pick down towards the right a little bit. I also try to keep my pick in the same position to avoid circle picking. I recently stopped circle picking because it became a bad habit that was inhibiting my technique. They say "whatever works for you is the best" but if you find that you're struggling with a section of a song for a LONG time, maybe you need to analyze your technique and see if there is anything you need to improve on.
wedy1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

if the great Friedman thought me anything its what ever feels good for you thats how you hold it.
Just look at how he picks.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Iced Earth9
Blindly following?

I hold it with the point of my first three fingers (thumb, index and middle finger), a bit like I do when I write.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
J-E-M

^^ Same here. I struggled for years and got frustrated with the usual way of holding a pick. For me, the pencil grip is more comfortable and stable than the traditional method - and there's no annoying scraping sound on the strings.
J-E-M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i'm surprised at how many people are saying to just do what feels comfortable. what feels comfortable is affected more just by what we're used to. i'm certainly not saying not to experiment, but our hands are all generally similar and traditional methods are traditional for a reason.

only thing i see that looks uncomfortable to me in pics 2/3 is that you're squishing the skin on the side of your index fingernail. i bend my index finger at the first digit a bit so that i'm using more of the fingerpad.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
jaymzz31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedy1414
I hold my fingers fairly close to the tip and I angle the pick down towards the right a little bit. I also try to keep my pick in the same position to avoid circle picking. I recently stopped circle picking because it became a bad habit that was inhibiting my technique. They say "whatever works for you is the best" but if you find that you're struggling with a section of a song for a LONG time, maybe you need to analyze your technique and see if there is anything you need to improve on.

Does your grip more resemble to 2 or 3 ? Another thing is the pick loses its angle when I play slowly or play in the lower strings and this creates more friction . My right doesnt stay same in the process of playing , my thumb bends , my index finger rolls back and forth etc . If I can remain the initial grip and angle everything is fine but I lose it. Any advise ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
i'm surprised at how many people are saying to just do what feels comfortable. what feels comfortable is affected more just by what we're used to. i'm certainly not saying not to experiment, but our hands are all generally similar and traditional methods are traditional for a reason.

only thing i see that looks uncomfortable to me in pics 2/3 is that you're squishing the skin on the side of your index fingernail. i bend my index finger at the first digit a bit so that i'm using more of the fingerpad.

spot on dude . Your fingers can adapt to any picking combination if you train them to do so . I've seen it in my first grip . Now it feels very uncomfortable but for 1.5 years I've played like it . You can train your fingers to grip with pinkie and thumb if you really force them but I've settled on the proper grip . By the way , yes the skin on the side of the fingernail squishes I read your advise but cant get it , can you please explain it a little further ?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzywhiteboy
if the great Friedman thought me anything its what ever feels good for you thats how you hold it.

Michael Angelo Batio also holds the pick in a pretty strange way.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #13
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzywhiteboy

I really really really really really wouldn't recommend Marty's technique.. It makes correct muting pretty much impossible - I mean, Marty used to have someone lay their finger across the 1st fret to dampen the open strings so they wouldn't ring out when he'd be recording leads.

Also, if you analyse his live playing you can see that this very issue is the main flaw of his playing. See for yourself:

It might be minor, but everything counts in the (never-ending) hunt for perfect technique!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I hold my pick like this..

Not the best picture but i tuck my middle finger in and use it for extra support. My technique does however kind of change sometimes. Occasionally I'll just fan out my 3 fingers for a reason that I'm not totally sure of. Usually when I'm playing some slow grooving licks i suppose or when playing clean. Yeah not sure, it's just a thing i do. Hasn't caused me any issues though.
Excuse my gross nails as well, I'm working on growing them for classical
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
jaymzz31

I have never thought of friedman's grip . It seems it just works for him in the whole world !
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
Michael Angelo Batio also holds the pick in a pretty strange way.

i think he was trying to demonstrate a good guitarist with poor technique
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
jaymzz31

For alternate picking , I think Paul Gilbert's way of holding it is the most flawless and firm way . For downpicking James Hetfield's way could be better . If you look at Paul's video in the first step he puts the pick on the side of his index , tip of the pick and index finger showing exactly the same way . Then he curls his index finger a bit more so that the pick angles more which makes it easier to alternate pick . After this two steps his grip resembles most to picture 3.

Now I'm settled on picture 3 but I have a little last problem . When I'm crossing from high to low strings ( high e to b for example) the pick loses its angel becomes flat with the strings and it makes it very hard to continue on the lower string . If I move my whole arm when descending to new string the angle doesnt change but when I pick with my wrist the angel decreases . ANY ADVISES ?

Rate This Thread: