500 calorie deficit per day...

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #18842
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy
There are 3,500 calories in a pound, so it would take him 7 weeks to lose one pound your way.

Code:
500 deficit a day = 1 pound a week

lol
Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #18843
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

So I saw this on T-nation yesterday. I thought it was interesting since I already had already done something similar in the past.

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/chin-up-project

You basically do chinups every day in sets of 10 dispersed throughout the day with the goal of adding a few hundred chinups a week and adding more chinups every week. I definitely had a bigger back and biceps when I was doing chins every day. If you got a chinup bar at home you should try this out.

Side note: Personal frustration. My left arm is pretty much the same size as my right arm, but I must have more fat on it or something because I have a ton of vascularity and definition in my right arm, but not my left.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #18844
E7#9
Both dog and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Side note: Personal frustration. My left arm is pretty much the same size as my right arm, but I must have more fat on it or something because I have a ton of vascularity and definition in my right arm, but not my left.

I know that feel. I'm guessing it has something to do with which side is your dominant hand.

I'm left handed, so my left arm seems to be a bit bigger and/or has a bit more definition than my right. More so with my chest for some reason.
E7#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #18845
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I also notice this (right arm seems bigger when tensing/stronger) but when looking in mirror, I've also toyed with the thought that some of it could be down to finding it easier to fully activate or tense the muscles in your dominant limbs... I mean, you know how weird it feels trying to throw something with the hand you don't write with, maybe it's a little similar with getting the fullest contractions of the muscles, until forced into work by heavy weights.

It's probably not that at all, but just a thought I've had before

Also, second day of doing Stronglifts 5x5 today (the version on the Stronglifts app, anyway) and today had OHP and Deads instead of Bench and BB Rows... I'll be honest, I've been out of practise for a while on/off what with going on holiday, and hurting back, but inspired by how the first two sessions have gone, like an hour later I decided I'd try and lift the weight from Deadlift, up above my head (was only 50kg, and I forget what the term for this is... power clean maybe?) ... managed to get it up to chest/shoulder height but wasn't confident enough to drop under it (that's what you do with heavy weights, right?) to get leverage and push it up, so took it down to 40kg and managed to do a few sets of 3 reps of the full motion.

Really impressed, not because it's heavy, but because last time I tried it a few months back I think around 35kg was all I could do and I haven't tried that motion since then, other than with lighter weights to do squats. If I had a squat rack, or went to a gym, I wouldn't even have done that motion at all, other than the first bit with deadlifts, so I'm hoping that the 5x5 will increase strength for that motion at a rate that allows me to keep increasing squats weight at the pace they should be, for longer than I expected. I know I'll have to get a squat rack eventually or start going to the gym to use the equipment there, but happy I can at least hold out a little longer with it.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #18846
TSmitty6
In the traphouse

I'm very left hand/left side dominant. My my left forearm is way bigger (lol). I also broke it though so it's hard to hit all parts of the bicep and triceps because of limited ROM. It is fatter/sausage link looking, and my right is more cut/defined.

No one is going to notice that though except me or a significant other.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #18847
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Holy shit, my workout sucked.

Today was 5x5 for 165 Incline, 175 Squat, 135 Bent rows. Failed my 5th rep of the first set of Incline, only 4 sets of squats done, was able to complete the rows. At the end of the workout I tried 185 on Flat bench, was only able to do 5 before failure. I was able to do a 5x5 of them on Monday.

Either because I'm sick, didn't sleep well, or work has been extra hard this week, but today was so disappointing.

Quote:

Same. Focus on barbell exercise that works both simultaneously; Singling one out will only make it worse believe it or not. Also, try to use your non-dominant arm in more everyday tasks.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #18848
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

My right forearm is bigger from scar tissue and plates. Everything else is relatively even. Though that may be because since I broke my arm I've used my left more than my right despite being right handed.

Overall I'm tiny because I haven't worked out properly for 8 weeks which suuuucks

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #18849
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

So I stopped the 5x5 for almost four weeks for various reasons that just kept piling up (sick, vacation, work.....) and started again on Saturday.

Holy ****, I shouldn't have really not tried to start off with almost the same weight I ended with. I did all my squats and I still can't walk right. My thighs are just so ****ing sore

Everything else has been fine though and it feels good to start it up again.

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #18850
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

225 power clean PR.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #18851
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
225 power clean PR.

Noice
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #18852
LolCatGuitar
devoted to the cause

barely missed a 280lbs squat. PB is 275lbs
did a lot of pulls and power cleans the day before, then finished with lots and lots of front squats. doubles, paused reps and heavy singles (tried 110kg and missed, PB is 105kg)
day before that worked up to a 205lbs paused back squat and it really sucked so worked down from there.
300 soon. gotta make it happen.

i left real music i am the 95% of the teen come at me
Do you like chill music? What a coincidence! I like to make chill music!!
LolCatGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #18853
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Just caved and bought 10 pounds of 80% protein isolate for $80. That rounds to $10 a pound of pure protein, which is twice the value of the Cytosport stuff I bought, but its unflavored. Hopefully I can mix it 1:1 and get more value out of it.

Also, my eventual goal is to bench 315lbs as an RM. What are the best routines to achieve that? Something like a 5x3x1?
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #18854
NewDayHappy

Did arms today:

5 sets military press
5 sets preacher curls
5 sets triceps kickbacks

5 sets lateral raises
5 sets ez bar curls
5 sets skullcrushers

5 sets front raises
5 sets resistance band curls
5 sets triceps pull downs

I'm down 10lbs in the past 2 weeks, hopefully I don't lose any muscle, I'm lifting heavy, but overall, I feel like my conditioning is getting better. I also did 30 minutes of cardio when I woke up.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: