Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #1141
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Sounds like waaaay too much low end on the snare. The toms also don't appear to be levelled correctly.

You are correct about what you said, make sure you high pass literally everything to a point. You may even need to high pass some things more than once, depending on how much processing you are doing.

Also as a word of warning, I know this is on Dropbox not Soundcloud, but literally 5 minutes ago I had my version of this song pulled due to copyright, presumably because I used the original vocal track same as this, which has resulted in a strike against my account, so if you have this on Soundcloud as well just remove it.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #1142
Mister Revenant

I think I let too much in to let it cut through. I found it was getting overshadowed when vocals hit. I'll go back in later. Also can you specify about the toms levels?
And thanks. I don't remember if so put it on SoundCloud but I'll check.
Mister Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #1143
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

What I mean by the toms is I can't hear them. It almost sounds like the version you uploaded is incorrect. I can hear a very faint "pop" where they should be, as if they are only on the overheads or something.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #1144
Mister Revenant

I'll have to check the midi and original again. I'm using Superior Drummer now but only have my EZX libraries to work with.
Mister Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:51 AM   #1145
RabidBadger
Foaming at the mouth...

Hello all.

I have been recording a few songs now and again for a while now and, in the true fashion of the talentless, I now utter the words "why do my mixes still suck?" and throw myself at the mercy of those who are more skillful than me.

This is my most recent creation unleashed on the web - here

Any feedback and tips would be appreciated. I dont have a lot of skill to offer back useful crit in return - but I will try to give any observations that may be of merit.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #1146
Isakale

Hi! This will be my first ever audio recording. I'm used to doing instrumentals and dealing with MIDI... Any tips, pointers, suggestions or constructive criticism is very appreciated!
Be brutally honest with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avz...1BAV6v&index=19
Isakale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #1147
nyandres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isakale
Hi! This will be my first ever audio recording. I'm used to doing instrumentals and dealing with MIDI... Any tips, pointers, suggestions or constructive criticism is very appreciated!

That sounds real pretty. Very very nice stuff. What pieces in there are midi?

This is a track of my band. A friend of us did a nice video for us

Would love some honest feedback as well.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #1148
RabidBadger
Foaming at the mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isakale

My knowledge is limited - so I'm just going to give my thoughts and opinions - they may be totally useless.

The overall sound is pretty good. The vocals could do with evening out a little - in a couple of places they jump out a little too much for me. I would say that maybe the backing vocal could be a little lower in the mix and would maybe benefit from some additional reverb and maybe some delay. This isnt a style I am into so I dont really know what else to suggest.

Cheers.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #1149
GRABBER

Hey there,

I'm looking for some feed back on my mix. Here is a link to the song on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/dyslexics-ha...mastered-mix-v2

I'm pretty new to mixing and mastering so I don't know how helpfull I can be in a C4C situation, but I'd be more than glad to give my 2cants.

Thanks a ton!
GRABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #1150
Isakale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger
My knowledge is limited - so I'm just going to give my thoughts and opinions - they may be totally useless.

The overall sound is pretty good. The vocals could do with evening out a little - in a couple of places they jump out a little too much for me. I would say that maybe the backing vocal could be a little lower in the mix and would maybe benefit from some additional reverb and maybe some delay. This isnt a style I am into so I dont really know what else to suggest.

Cheers.

Thanks!! I see what you mean! I'll work on that. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres

Thanks! I meant other songs I've written used MIDI. :]
Isakale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:14 AM   #1151
RabidBadger
Foaming at the mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRABBER
Hey there,

I'm looking for some feed back on my mix. Here is a link to the song on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/dyslexics-ha...mastered-mix-v2

I'm pretty new to mixing and mastering so I don't know how helpfull I can be in a C4C situation, but I'd be more than glad to give my 2cants.

Thanks a ton!

Hello there.

I'm not a huge fan of this style of sound, but for what it is it sounds pretty good. As a personal preference I dont like the snare sound - it's very artificial sounding. I'm not saying that mine is any better, but maybe some variation in the sequencing might help?

The cymbals are a bit lost and quite whooshy, during the blast beat the hi-hat just becomes a wall of high end cymbal. I would suggest slapping an eq on the cymbal tracks and have a sweep around above 10k and see if there is any range that can be cut a few db to improve the clarity.

The kick drum sounds a little odd. It seems to have a bit of a popping noise to the attack. I dont know whether that is a choice you made, to me it sounds odd, but preferences are what they are.

Anyway, I wanted to give some hopefully helpful points. Overall it sounds pretty good. The vocals are well mixed in (something I struggle with). The guitars sound good too.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #1152
GRABBER

Thanks for the feedback RabidBadger.

Re: the snare and kick, as they are is kinda the sound I was looking for, wasn't too worried about how "real" they sounded. If you've head of F***... I'm Dead, that's the kinda feel I was going for on this particular track. They are a couple of those "pops" that I do want to remedy though.

Re: The cymbals, I totally get what you mean. Its something I've been having trouble with on a couple of the mixes I've been working on. Thanks for the tip with the EQ, I'l try that out.

Thanks again!
GRABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #1153
WhatISThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres

This is a track of my band. A friend of us did a nice video for us

its boring. I'm bored
WhatISThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #1154
Cavalcade
razor sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatISThat
its boring. I'm bored

To elaborate on that oh-so-insightful feedback...

I like the pick tapping in the intro, but it's not tight enough. There's a clear rhythm to it, and that rhythm is off beat. The clean part after it needs a few times over, too.

Singer's nice, but give her some more mids so I can understand what the hell she's saying.

When the powerchords come in, they're all clear and bright, but thin. Less highs (700-2k) and more low mids, please, that's what they do in the mix. Cutting the highs will give your singer some much needed space, too.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #1155
joecatarata

Smile

Hi I'm a more or less beginner guitarist who wants to improve on his guitar skills I'm having a hard time criticising my own work so I was hoping some of you guys might give feedback on this:

https://soundcloud.com/joe-catarata/start-1

Its a cover of an acoustic instrumental song from Depapepe

I've been practicing some string bends and alternate picking lately.

Criticism is highly appreciated!
Thank You!
joecatarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #1156
nyandres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
To elaborate on that oh-so-insightful feedback...

I like the pick tapping in the intro, but it's not tight enough. There's a clear rhythm to it, and that rhythm is off beat. The clean part after it needs a few times over, too.

Singer's nice, but give her some more mids so I can understand what the hell she's saying.

When the powerchords come in, they're all clear and bright, but thin. Less highs (700-2k) and more low mids, please, that's what they do in the mix. Cutting the highs will give your singer some much needed space, too.

This is great thanks.

Rate This Thread: