Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Flevi

Blues guitar

Hello again I'm wondering where I shoul begin my study of blues guitar, should I learn how to play blues songs? Should I learn certain chord groups or scales? If so please name whatever artists songs chords or scales I should learn. I'm new to guitar I only know the E blues scale and a few blues licks. I want to know everything about the blues Any advice would be great!

Last edited by Flevi : 11-04-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Flevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

B.B king obviously, some clapton, hendrix etc... Classick rock bands usually have some bluesy songs so start from there. For soloing, why don't you learn the Blues scale itself to begin with ? Then learn how to play it all over the fretboard, to that you can add the minor pentatonic and major pentatonic scales which are used a lot.

Of course, you're gonna have to learn some other things when you get better, 'cause scales are really just a dumby's guide to music.
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
ryan19

check out some of Joe Bonamassa's music. Great modern blues guitarist.
ryan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

learn the major and minor pentatonic shapes
learn the twelve bar blues form
listen to SRV, clapton freddie king and albert king
use UG tabs

it'll come naturally.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Bikewer

I usually recommend immersing yourself in the roots of the form. Listen to the old Delta bluesmen; Son House and Skip James and Robert Johnson and all those guys. They're the originators; at least, the first ones recorded.
Then move on up to the Memphis and Chicago artists who started recording in studios with bands.
Muddy Waters being the prime mover there, but there are many others.
These are the guys that Clapton and all those other lads were listening to originally.

Blues is much more about passion and delivery and feel than it is about theory and technique.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
Bugbiteaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
I usually recommend immersing yourself in the roots of the form. Listen to the old Delta bluesmen; Son House and Skip James and Robert Johnson and all those guys. They're the originators; at least, the first ones recorded.
Then move on up to the Memphis and Chicago artists who started recording in studios with bands.
Muddy Waters being the prime mover there, but there are many others.
These are the guys that Clapton and all those other lads were listening to originally.

Blues is much more about passion and delivery and feel than it is about theory and technique.

Agreed ^
Listen, then listen... Then listen a lot more. Then pick up the guitar. Forget pentatonic scales and play the licks you hear. Then put the guitar down and listen again.
Bugbiteaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158

Hydra150 likes this.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
learn the major and minor pentatonic shapes
learn the twelve bar blues form
listen to SRV, clapton freddie king and albert king
use UG tabs

it'll come naturally.

Thats not a bad place to start +1
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Jacknifegsy

I too am obsessed with the form. Don't know why I ever got away from it, but i have CDs that are ten years old, that I am revisiting again.

I have a serious problem considering Electrification, electric guitars in general being utilized in the Blues. That's my own failing i guess but my ear is practically offended listening to most of them, including the vaunted, stevie and Jimmy Vaughan, unless they go Acoustic, which they do. Listening to Clapton in his Unplugged is ok, but even he is derivative of the Delta and Country Blues artists of the last century

Unless it's acoustic to me it is noise.
'
Go ahead and flame me but as much as I've tried I just cannot embrace the electric guitar in the blues form.

That said, Lightnin Hopkins, Missisppi John Hurt, Robert Johnson, Skip James, Elmore James, Son House, Howlin Wolf, Leroy Carr, Blind: Lemon Jefferson, Mctell, Blake, Boy Fuller, Willie Johnson, and Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, and several others are the Roots, and that's quite enough to keep you busy and inspired for a decade or more.

IMHO/
Jacknifegsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

I love electric blues.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknifegsy
I too am obsessed with the form. Don't know why I ever got away from it, but i have CDs that are ten years old, that I am revisiting again.

I have a serious problem considering Electrification, electric guitars in general being utilized in the Blues. That's my own failing i guess but my ear is practically offended listening to most of them, including the vaunted, stevie and Jimmy Vaughan, unless they go Acoustic, which they do. Listening to Clapton in his Unplugged is ok, but even he is derivative of the Delta and Country Blues artists of the last century

Unless it's acoustic to me it is noise.
'
Go ahead and flame me but as much as I've tried I just cannot embrace the electric guitar in the blues form.

That said, Lightnin Hopkins, Missisppi John Hurt, Robert Johnson, Skip James, Elmore James, Son House, Howlin Wolf, Leroy Carr, Blind: Lemon Jefferson, Mctell, Blake, Boy Fuller, Willie Johnson, and Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, and several others are the Roots, and that's quite enough to keep you busy and inspired for a decade or more.

IMHO/
I could not disagree more as far as taste... I love electric blues, but I found your explanation and non apology refreshing. You love what your ears love, not what someone or some peoples tell you you should love.

The acoustic stuff is great. I owe a huge amount of my (limited) development to playing and practicing a ton on acoustics.

That being said I think this was the best quote(Bikewer):

"Blues is much more about passion and delivery and feel than it is about theory and technique. "

I mean... most of the licks the blues "greats" are playing are pretty simple, its all about feeling, expression and the building and releasing of tension.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Hydra150
not so cowardly

and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: