Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
AlecBeretz

Wink Fat Sounding Acoustic/Electric

Looking for a new acoustic guitar, I'd like it to be acoustic electric.

Only other requirement: I want the unplugged acoustic guitar to melt the face of the person in front of me. I'm looking for the fattest, beefiest, rock n roll acoustic in existence. Its balls should touch the floor.

If John Bonham played acoustic guitar, what guitar would he use?
AlecBeretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Don't know. But I have seen Pete Townshend with a big Gibson jumbo.

"Face melting" really isn't in the purview of any acoustic guitar. For that, I'd suggest you stick with your electric.

And really, wouldn't it be better to ask what acoustic Jimmy Page played?

His perennially popular stuff was done on the acoustic 12 string. IE: "Stairway to Heaven".
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

umm...cranky...it's illegal in 38 states to mention that song( even though every acoustic player knows it, you'd never hear them play it out loud.)
jumbos are nice, just don't get caught playing with one ! oh crap...guitars...wrong forum again
it don't matter what guitar your holding. only you and your abilities are gonna do the face melting. i've seen guys that can make you pee your pants with just a ukelele
Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Oh very well then:
You've turned me into a hardened criminal. Does anybody know why this POS video won't play all the way through? Do I have to buy something, or download a virus or something?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
AlecBeretz

"Face melting" really isn't in the purview of any acoustic guitar. For that, I'd suggest you stick with your electric.

you assume that melting faces implies high volumes and distortion. but tell me the acoustic guitar in hendrix's rendition of all along the watch tower doesn't melt your face.

And really, wouldn't it be better to ask what acoustic Jimmy Page played?

no, i was making a comparison between guitars and bonzos fat and epic drumming, but obviously you didn't understand that analogy. In fact jimmy page tended to use really light strings which is not the sound i'm looking for.

and of course stepchildusmc, its all in the hands of the guitarist, but if that was 100% true than it wouldn't ever matter what guitar you are playing... yet, we all have our preferences. i'll scope the jumbos, thanks guys.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecBeretz
...[ ]....you assume that melting faces implies high volumes and distortion. but tell me the acoustic guitar in hendrix's rendition of all along the watch tower doesn't melt your face.
And now you're assuming I'm willing to get into a colloquialism, "battle of the different decades", with you.

To the best of my recollection, the only thing that really caused "face melting", was "Orange Sunshine".

So yeah, I got your, what I believe to be a horrendous stretch of analogy, and basically, ignored it.

In any event, I have my put away my "childish ways', and so don't try to antagonize people by interspersing my posts with archaic vernacular such as, "boss, cool, hip, and possibly many others, which I don't seem to be able to recall ATM.

In any case, I gave you a big clue, as to "Who", (see what I did there (?)), the most "face melting" acoustic guitarist of all time is. And that's even when he's playing his electrics., Peter Townshend.

FWIW, I've always been fascinated with rhythm part of, "All Along the Watchtower".
Dave Mason did very a nice job on the song as well, played in E minor.

Either rendition however, is likely more appropriately described as, "haunting", a term which bridges many generation gaps, & over a few centuries at that.

So, get a big body acoustic, plug it in, stuff a delay in the signal chain, and play, "Pinball Wizard", when you hit the power chord part in the chorus(es), either switch to a slightly dirty channel, or just use a volume pedal (*). That should give you what I'm going to call, "ballsy", and you're allowed to keep your definition of, "face melting".

Peace....

(*)You might also try reaching over and "dime" the amps pregain.

BTW, Townshend allegedly used very heavy strings at times, (E-6 .056), mostly I think, to stop them from ripping them off the guitar.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
stormin1155

All the advice that this forum could give isn't worth anything compared to you actually trying out as many guitars as you can to find that special "face melter." A dreadnaught with solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides is where I would start.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
AlecBeretz

of COURSE I'm gonna go in and play guitars! jeez guys, I thought that was implied!

So, all silliness aside, what I'm getting is:

big guitar, big strings, deep resonating wood, dreadnaught shape, and at the end of the day if that still won't do it, throw some tube drive and delay in there. being pete townshend might also help.

I'll start there, thanks guys.

cranky, I love the way your brain works but your username is fitting. For the record, my vernacular did not include boss, cool, or hip, but all of those words are still in circulation, so I'd hardly call them archaic. I do fully understand your point about decades vs face melting---something i'd actually love to discuss further, but i can't spend all day on UG

Cheers gentlemen, happy shredding!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

Quote:
So, all silliness aside, what I'm getting is:cranky, I love the way your brain works but your username is fitting.
!

he he
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
AlecBeretz

uh oh something tells me i accidentally opened another can of worms
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
stepchildusmc

Quote:
uh oh something tells me i accidentally opened another can of worms

nah, cranky's been dating my pet llama. we're still fighting over what our family thanksgiving menu should be. it's a tough one, we don't have room for haybales and cranberry sauce on the table.
plus, he's more of a 12 string player, i'm a 6'er...personally, i think he's compensating.
(BTW Cranky, i'm headin' for Philly in the morning...building a wheelchair ramp on sat before heading to Arlington on sunday..also paying homage again to the old Tun Tavern site over by walnut st.)

Last edited by stepchildusmc : 11-07-2013 at 11:19 PM.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #12
Captaincranky

All I've got to say is......................., I

OK, I had to Google all this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_Tavern

Did you know about this? http://www.tuntavernleathernecks.com/

Where are you building the ramp?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
qvlyaja

how about a Washburn J28 (Washburn/Cumberland J28SCEDL-MVP) ?????
qvlyaja is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: