User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1quit0uz
I have a Marshall MG412C nothing too fancy. I also have a 2x12 cab that was custom made and it sounds freaking beautiful, don't really know what speakers are in it.. but it sounds good haha. Either way I see no reason in using a combo when I already have cabs. Unless maybe a combo would be a better choice? We gig a lot, mainly in smaller venues but we have played in some of the bigger venues of Utah as well. The bigger ones usually have equipment to mic the amps and whatnot but the smaller - mid sized ones do not so I want to make sure I have something to carry the sound nicely in a venue. Which Is why I was thinking to just get an amp head...

if you can find a used 6505+ head in your budget, then that's probably the better choice.

however, the combo is usually cheaper, and it has a good speaker output system so it can easily be linked to a cab. the other benefit of a combo is that you really only need to haul 1 thing to practice.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
ub1quit0uz

Oh, there is an output on the combo? that sure makes things nice, especially since it would be REALLY nice to just carry the combo around... hmm I might go with that for now anyway. Do you think the combo itself would be loud enough for most venues? And how would hooking it up to my 4x12 cab work? Would it then disable the speaker its paired with in the combo, would it play through both? Just exactly how would it work is what im asking i guess. thanks for your input =)
ub1quit0uz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Oh, there is an output on the combo? that sure makes things nice, especially since it would be REALLY nice to just carry the combo around... hmm I might go with that for now anyway. Do you think the combo itself would be loud enough for most venues? And how would hooking it up to my 4x12 cab work? Would it then disable the speaker its paired with in the combo, would it play through both? Just exactly how would it work is what im asking i guess. thanks for your input =)

I actually used to own one, and gigged with it using a Traynor 4x12 cab. Depending on the impedance of your cab, you could use it with the internal speaker. There are 2 outputs on the back of the amp, and a selector switch that lets you pick between 4,8 and 16 ohms for both output. as long as you have an 8ohm cab, you'd be golden to use both. otherwise, you can unhook the internal speaker and just use the cab.

as far as volume goes, you should have no issues. 50watts is plenty for a decent sized club venue (of course, a PA is ideal). the amp is fairly loud, particularly with a good amp. the amp also has a direct output on the back, which lets you get a direct signal to the board really easily without taking any time.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
ub1quit0uz

Awesome, i think I am definitely going to get a 6505+ Combo, I did some more research and from what you told me it seems perfect. Because of the lower wattage it would be a lot better to record with as well, not to mention the direct xlr out, but I have a sm57 for recording anyway. Thanks a lot =)

Another question then, tubes... what kind of tubes should I get for my current Voodoo, cuz im pretty sure they need replacing.
This is the music I play: http://soundcloud.com/winters-iris/...rojections-demo
and this is a similar to the tone that i dream of:

And to bring it back to the original topic starter for my guitar, would it be best for me to buy a 3-way switch when my humbucker arrives (next week) or should I keep my 5-way, and for either option i will need some sort of schematic, i dont know ANYTHING about wiring. xD
Old 11-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #25
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Awesome, i think I am definitely going to get a 6505+ Combo, I did some more research and from what you told me it seems perfect. Because of the lower wattage it would be a lot better to record with as well, not to mention the direct xlr out, but I have a sm57 for recording anyway. Thanks a lot =)

Another question then, tubes... what kind of tubes should I get for my current Voodoo, cuz im pretty sure they need replacing.
This is the music I play: http://soundcloud.com/winters-iris/...rojections-demo
and this is a similar to the tone that i dream of:

And to bring it back to the original topic starter for my guitar, would it be best for me to buy a 3-way switch when my humbucker arrives (next week) or should I keep my 5-way, and for either option i will need some sort of schematic, i dont know ANYTHING about wiring. xD

I think a 3-way switch will make your life easier, so it might be worth the little bit of cash just to simplify your life.

as far as tubes for your voodoo go, just make sure you get the right type. that amp uses 12AX7's in the preamp, and 6L6's in the power amp. it's one of the most generic combinations ever, but make sure you know which tubes need replacing. if you don't know how to figure it out, go to the amp forum or to a tech (remember, tube amps can and will electrocute you if you aren't careful). yes, there are a whack of different brands of tubes out there, but as long as you stick with something decent (not the cheapest ones at the shop) you'll be fine. if you want to know more, make a thread in the amp forum- those guys know this stuff really well.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #26
ub1quit0uz

Okay awesome! Thanks =)

I actually opened up and took out the tubes in the voodoo today to take a look at them, and confirm some things I was reading.

1) I read up on rectifier tubes just a bit, so I went to see what kind or whatever mine had. After taking them all out I noticed no difference in any of the pre-amp tubes, other then one of the four was separated a few inches away from the others, but looked the exact same as the rest. So now I'm highly confused. (especially cuz the manual says Im only supposed to have 3 preamps)

2) For the power tubes I could only see four 6L6 tubes, yet according to the manual im supposed to have, "12AX7A (1), 6L6GT/5881 (4)".. So then i was REALLY confused.

I guess Ill repost this in the amp forum tho, thanks for the help =)

(BTW, this is a little snippit of some recording we did today, we used the guitar I'm speaking of in this forum post, and the red voodoo: http://soundcloud.com/tyler-gibbs-3/amagani-preview)
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #27
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Okay awesome! Thanks =)

I actually opened up and took out the tubes in the voodoo today to take a look at them, and confirm some things I was reading.

1) I read up on rectifier tubes just a bit, so I went to see what kind or whatever mine had. After taking them all out I noticed no difference in any of the pre-amp tubes, other then one of the four was separated a few inches away from the others, but looked the exact same as the rest. So now I'm highly confused. (especially cuz the manual says Im only supposed to have 3 preamps)

2) For the power tubes I could only see four 6L6 tubes, yet according to the manual im supposed to have, "12AX7A (1), 6L6GT/5881 (4)".. So then i was REALLY confused.

I guess Ill repost this in the amp forum tho, thanks for the help =)

(BTW, this is a little snippit of some recording we did today, we used the guitar I'm speaking of in this forum post, and the red voodoo: http://soundcloud.com/tyler-gibbs-3/amagani-preview)

Yeah, I checked up on your users manual as well. I think it might be a hair misleading.

based on what I've seen, I think that the amp is actually solid-state rectified. There's nothing in there that would indicate- in my mind at least- that it features a tube rectifier.

the 4 6L6's makes perfect sense. that's pretty much par for the course on 100 watt amps. that 12AX7 that they list in the power section (probably the one that sits a little further away)- I would suspect that it is the phase inverter. It seems like an odd way to list tasks, but it makes sense to have 4 12AX7's and 4 6L6's. There is no way on earth that you have a 12AX7 functioning as a power tube, as the manual would suggest.

Again, tube amps can carry a charge for a long time (POTENTIALLY LETHAL!), so go to a tech if you're unsure of what you're looking.

also, why are you thinking your tubes are shot? I couldn't hear anything that screamed "dead tubes!".
Old 11-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #28
ub1quit0uz

Thanks, the guys over at the amp forum are helpin me with details, your right, its a phase inverter tube, which I'll have to google here in a sec, haha. Solid state rectified also slips my knowledge xD.

Its kinda scary to know that I pulled those tubes out just seconds after i turned it off and unplugged it now... guess I wont make that mistake again.

The reason I thought my tubes might be shot is there is a constant hum, it isn't really noticeable while playing but as soon as the guitar is muted you can hear it. Its nothing major.. I just dont remember hearing it previous to buying it, so i thought it might be the tubes.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #29
Sledgeman

About the switch, if you want to keep it simple then get a 3-way. If you want to make more complex wiring you have to get a new 5-way, something like a dimarzio super switch.

With that you can do wirings like this for example.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #30
ub1quit0uz

Hmm Okay, I'll probably get a 3-way to make things easier for me. =)

Rate This Thread: