Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
awesomo41894

At the Gates of Time (Original Instrumental C4C)

A week or so back i put up a thread on here with a solo i recorded, and u guys said i should make it into a song, so i did. This is the result. I tried to make it future sounding, but at the same time, old sounding (U can hear that in the end). The song goes between B Phrygian Dominant, B whole tone, B minor, and E minor throughout.
I would love to hear what you guys think of it, any crit/advice would be appreciated.

As always, Ill C4C!

Thanks,

Jake P
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
face_the_fear

Really nice solo! I like the layers of lead guitar you have going on. The mix sounds fine but maybe the rhythm guitar could do with being turned up a little bit to add a bit more weight to the mix.

Nice to see an 8 string not being used for djent for a change haha.
face_the_fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
awesomo41894

Quote:
Originally Posted by face_the_fear
Really nice solo! I like the layers of lead guitar you have going on. The mix sounds fine but maybe the rhythm guitar could do with being turned up a little bit to add a bit more weight to the mix.

Nice to see an 8 string not being used for djent for a change haha.

Thanks a lot man! And i agree, the rhythm guitar could be a tad louder, but it was kinda hard to mix because the lead has 4 layers at one point, and i really didnt know how to accomplish keeping a present rhythm guitar and present leads, without the volume fluctuating a bunch. I appreciate the crit man, and I agree, its rare to see an 8 string NOT used for djent haha
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
face_the_fear

I think the way I would try and make room for the rhythm guitars is by compressing the rhythm and bringing it a little more forward in the mix. Not compressed where it is obvious they have been compressed just enough to bring them through. Also maybe knock off a lot of the low end with an EQ so the lead and rhythm aren't fighting for space in the lower to mid frequencies.
face_the_fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
TakenBr

Awesome solo man. And that guitar, so awesome. 8 strings, right?
TakenBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
awesomo41894

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakenBr
Awesome solo man. And that guitar, so awesome. 8 strings, right?

Thanks a ton man! And yes it is, its an ESP LTD H-338. I bought it a few months back, never really used it much (I find the neck kinda uncomfortable, I have a seven string, and Im used to playing that, but the neck on an 8 just feels huge), but lately ive been playing it, and I LOVE the tones it has. Its just not super easy to play haha Its the easiest guitar to tap on ive ever played though.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
iRaiseTheDead

I dig the hell out of this
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
awesomo41894

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRaiseTheDead
I dig the hell out of this

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
OurRequiem

Sounding really good man! I saw a previous comment and it made me laugh beccause i totally agreed! 8 strings not being used for djent. Good job!

It's all been said already tho man little louder on the rthyem guitar, is there bass in the mix at all? I don't think production was the core foucus here tho. It's still a little short could use some more riffs and such and then obviously vocals if your willing to take it that far!

keep it up.

check my stuff in my sig.
-Jackson DR7, EMGs (selling)
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w (maybe a veteran30swap?)
OurRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Very good. I can tell you have practiced your vibrato because I hear it matching up with the recorded vibrato evenly. Favorite part is around 0:59 in... pretty sweet harmonized guitars there bud, although the fast whole tone scale runs were cool too and reminded me of my favorite part of "We Better Learn how to Hotwire a Uterus" ... very under-utilized scale. But yeah, as for my voice, one of my close friends gave me his honest critique and told me it sounds a little nasally at times which I will chalk up to all the pot I was smoking up until just recently I decided to knock it off for a bit. Hopefully that fixes that problem.

Keep ripping though man, that was very cleanly and effortlessly played for a technical piece.

Rate This Thread: