Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
food1010
Bassist

How to build hype while inactive

My band has been together for a few years now, but we're all in college in different states, so we're only really active in the summers. We recorded a 7-song CD two summers ago which was meant to be a professional recording, but we ended up with slightly better than demo-quality due to numerous reasons which I won't go into.

Anyway, this is our only set of studio recordings that we have, and we've taken them down from the internet because we don't really want to associate with that sound.

So, in essence, we have no media with which to promote ourselves. We plan to record a 5-song EP starting in June, and we want to have at least enough momentum to be able to cover our production costs with CD sales. We are planning on selling it for $5. This means we need to have a pretty decent following in a very short amount of time. At the moment, we have a decent amount of people who would buy our CD, but most of them are family or friends from high school. We plan to perform as much as possible this summer and market ourselves so that people actually come out to our shows.

However, it's hard to get people to come to your show if they have no idea what you sound like. What are some ways we can market ourselves without having any recordings? I know about flyers and word of mouth and all that, but I'm at a loss for ideas about Facebook and other social media. I don't want to post stuff that's irrelevant or lacks content, because that would do more harm than good. I want to make a few posts here and there that basically gets people to keep their eyes peeled in anticipation for news about shows and our CD release date.

We only have a month until we'll be doing shows, but we don't have anything set in stone yet. We will most likely have a weekly acoustic gig, but this is more of a cover-band gig because the venue isn't really big enough to do our full-band stuff. We also have another weekly opportunity as an opener for my buddy's band. They usually bring out close to 20 people regularly so if we can match that (or at least close), that'll be a decent night considering the size of the bar. The problem is, it's the same 10-20 people every week. Not too many CD sales there. Maybe we could get the bar to start paying us a decent sum if we bring a big enough crowd.

Anyway, should we just plan ahead better and get some dates locked down and start promoting that? Or is there a better way to get people's attention?

Sorry this post is so scattered. I'm trying to gather a lot of thoughts while not writing a novel.

Edit: Here's our Facebook page, in case you want to take a look at it. There's really not much to see though: http://www.facebook.com/SomethinTasty

If you want to hear our demo CD as well, you can hear it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ta4emi00td21eiz/XsWR0qZ4eK. It's all the numbered ones, minus Cold Soldier and Delectivo, those are songs we cover. The demo's not as bad as I made it out to seem, it's just not the sound we're going for.

Last edited by food1010 : 04-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

How to become an overnight sensation?

Mate, get some support acts that will bring their fans.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
How to become an overnight sensation?
That's not at all what I'm expecting, I'm just wondering if there's anything we can do in the meantime. I feel like we're just sitting around waiting for summer to come along.

I guess I should talk around more and see if other bands we've played with would be willing to set up some shows together.

Last edited by food1010 : 04-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Look. Real hype can only come from people knowing and loving your work, and telling their friends about it.

What can you do? You can write songs. Get tighter as a band. Become better musicians. Do all that, so that when you do start to play shows, you're really kick ass.

Nothing you can do will probably help as much as that does.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
That's not at all what I'm expecting, I'm just wondering if there's anything we can do in the meantime. I feel like we're just sitting around waiting for summer to come along.

I guess I should talk around more and see if other bands we've played with would be willing to set up some shows together.

Yeah, think about it realistically. How often do you get excited about a band that you've never heard or seen?

If it feels like youve been sitting around all summer, you probably have been. You should be looking for more gigs all the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
manualex

be the strokes in 2001/'02?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Every self respecting Muser regards the 2nd Law as their magnum opus.
manualex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Be together for 3 years gigging regularly?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
manualex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^ Be together for 3 years gigging regularly?

playing 30 minutes sets.

This are the strokes on 2000

It seems like Julian was about to have a stroke

and release a 3 track ep with Rough Trade Records. 'Cos rough trade does wonders with the hyping of bands(or mags loves the records they put out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Every self respecting Muser regards the 2nd Law as their magnum opus.
manualex is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: