Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
guitarmageddon0

Stage presence for a 4 piece metal band

My band really needs to work on stage presence. Does anyone know of any videos of 4 piece bands with really good stage presence, or have any tips for a 4 piece metal band to have better stage presence?
Thanks!
guitarmageddon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Jacques-Henri

Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
thecougarbear

depends on what your style is. Some people like the gimmicky stuff while others don't. my method has been to get drunk (if that's your thing) and have a practice where you all play with stage presence in mind. generally, you can feel the music better and won't be self-conscious or have the moves be too unnatural.
thecougarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Metallica. Their stage presence is one of the best.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

^mute that video, then watch it. They look like a bunch of monkeys on crack.

Metallica and Iron Maiden know how to do a live show. Look at their performances. Also while not a metal band Foo Fighters is a great live band.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Reddaz

Loosen up with 1 or 2 beers so you're not too self conscious (but can still play tight!), move your stance every now and then and look like you're enjoying but not so you appear to be on crack. Headbang when appropriate and if singing or playing a solo, eye**** the shit out of a hot girl in the audience!
MXR EVH Phase 90//Black Label Chorus
Peavey 6505 Head//Crate G412SL 4X12 Cab

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Peavey Tour 700 Head//410 TVX 4X10 Cab
Hear My Band
Reddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Jacques-Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzywhiteboy
^mute that video, then watch it. They look like a bunch of monkeys on crack.

Which is awesome! Why wouldn't you want to see monkeys on crack?
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Old 03-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddaz
if singing or playing a solo, eye**** the shit out of a hot girl in the audience!

This, so much this
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I heavily disagree with anyone who says drink alcohol. If you can't perform sober, you can't perform full stop, and that's not up for debate, it's fact. When it comes to stage presence, you first want to make sure you look like you're enjoying the music. If you're still nervous about your guitar part or whatever, it'll show, and you'll look robotic, if you run around while still keeping one eye on the fretboard, you'll look robotic while running. Remember, an amateur practices until they get it right, a professional practices until they can't get it wrong. Your first step will always be making sure you can play these songs in your sleep. Performing is walking along a thin line, you can either fall flat and be boring, you can go too far and be cringeworthy to watch (I've seen bands do Dragonforce-esque choreography to a row of people made up entirely of their mums and girlfriends, and I'm being dead serious here), or you can be successful, so it's hard to find that. Why not perform live to a camera in a practice room and watch it back to see what can be improved upon?

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I'm not completely against alcohol at a gig, but that said I rarely drink during one.

Of course when you see something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougarbear
my method has been to get drunk (if that's your thing) and have a practice where you all play with stage presence in mind. generally, you can feel the music better and won't be self-conscious or have the moves be too unnatural.

Yeah, I dont practice drunk, ever. If someone showed up to one of my practices drunk, theyd be sent home.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
gorkyporky
I like pie.

I think a beer or two is an acceptable way to loosen up, at least for the first couple of gigs. I had real problems being loose on stage, but then on my 3rd or 4th gig i had a couple of beers and it was awesome. From then on, i can go on stage sober and still loosen up, because i saw that having fun is the best thing you can do on stage.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
thecougarbear

I didn't mean sloppy drunk, but enough to loosen yourself up and be able to get into the music better. when sober, you may try to move to the music and it will feel and look unnatural, but while loosened up you will find a much more natural groove to the music. and go ahead and peg me as unprofessional and go off on your hardass tirade of your own work ethics, but I meant as a group, agree to drink some beers and work on just your stage presence.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
HotspurJr

My feeling would be that if you need a drink to loosen up, you need to learn how to loosen up.

Because if it's enough to help you "loosen up" it's going to have an effect on your ability to perform. Even lightly buzzed people significantly overrate their own ability to do complex things.

It's hard to give specific advice without knowing what the problem is, however. Because I don't know why your stage presence is bad, it's hard for me to tell you how to make it good.

That being said, I'd suggest the following things:

1) Have fun yourself up there. Don't take yourself too seriously.
2) On the other hand, be good enough that you can do that while treating the MUSIC seriously.
3) Include the audience with the fun. Make eye contract with them. See what they're doing. Interact with them. Be open to them.

If you can do that, you're in a good starting place, at least.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougarbear
I didn't mean sloppy drunk, but enough to loosen yourself up and be able to get into the music better. when sober, you may try to move to the music and it will feel and look unnatural, but while loosened up you will find a much more natural groove to the music. and go ahead and peg me as unprofessional and go off on your hardass tirade of your own work ethics, but I meant as a group, agree to drink some beers and work on just your stage presence.

Just sounds like an excuse to drink to me. If your band is really good, adrenaline will kick in making your movements feel better, but it's not like alcohol is some sort of muscle lubricant. Id practice without the grog without having to rely upon it.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
koslack

The first priority is being able to play the songs as tightly as possible. Once you can play the songs in your sleep, you can devote mental energy towards stage presence.
Frankly, if the adrenaline of a gig doesn't get you to move around and look like you're excited to be playing, I'm not sure what to tell you. After my first few gigs, I was able to stop being petrified by stage fright and channel the nervousness anticipation into my performance. Learn to do that, and you're fine. If you can't, there's not really any advice that will help other than learning relaxation techniques.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
thecougarbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just sounds like an excuse to drink to me. If your band is really good, adrenaline will kick in making your movements feel better, but it's not like alcohol is some sort of muscle lubricant. Id practice without the grog without having to rely upon it.

Still completely missing my point. I never meant for an actual show, and I didn't mean as an excuse to get drunk. Skill level has nothing to do with getting together with your band and having a good buzzed practice to see what feels more natural. Altered perceptions may bring out actions or ideas that the sober, more self-conscious brain may not. You don't have to agree with me, but it is still an option that I know people use, and it should be given the same consideration as any other. (considering legality of course, not condoning illegal behavior) Obviously professsionalism and accuracy is a must for live performances and my post was not intended to imply playing shows completely intoxicated.

Rate This Thread: