Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #16461
Angus_Junior35
AMERICAAAAAA

Damn, sorry for causing a fight guys. With what I'm going into, it won't be unreasonable at all to have probably 30-40 tabs up at a time, jumping back and forth between them. Image processing isn't going to be super intensive, I honestly shouldn't have mentioned it. It'll just be mildly processing RAW image files through CS6 or GIMP or something.

I'm thinking something like this and a dual-monitor setup. Being just a work computer, it won't be bogged down with too many user applications running in the background, but I'd rather have the extra RAM and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Awesome
Angus_Junior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #16462
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
right now I'm at 42:
8 for ug related stuff like threads and mod stuff.
10 for webcomics and blogs and news sites and such
5 for emails and social networking
3 for other forums I'm on
3 wikipedia articles
4 seedbox/torrent related tabs
2 shopping sites
and 7 pages of 'reminders' like videos about exercise tips or install troubleshooting or the list of command prompt commands

you leave all that shit open at the same time? that's like having 90 icons on your desktop.

20 is around my upper limit, not that I consider it "a limit" but its about the most I get up to before closing stuff as I move through whatever I'm looking at. <10 is generally optimum.

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #16463
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
I had at least 12 open a couple hours ago while comparing hotels. That's just normal every day non-work-related shit.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #16464
DamienEx1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_Junior35
Damn, sorry for causing a fight guys. With what I'm going into, it won't be unreasonable at all to have probably 30-40 tabs up at a time, jumping back and forth between them. Image processing isn't going to be super intensive, I honestly shouldn't have mentioned it. It'll just be mildly processing RAW image files through CS6 or GIMP or something.

I'm thinking something like this and a dual-monitor setup. Being just a work computer, it won't be bogged down with too many user applications running in the background, but I'd rather have the extra RAM and not need it than need it and not have it.

Don't worry about us arguing. We thrive on it and as far as I know, no one here holds hard feelings against anyone else based on computer discussion.

Except people who mine bitcoins, majority of us hate them. And we aren't talking about the guy who runs it in the background or when he is asleep. We are talking about the people who have made AMD GPUS's unbuyable because of the price.

Anyway I liked the look of that PC until I saw the RAM. It is only using a single 8gb stick of RAM. 8gb is good, but I would rather have 2x 4gb
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #16465
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
you leave all that shit open at the same time? that's like having 90 icons on your desktop.

20 is around my upper limit, not that I consider it "a limit" but its about the most I get up to before closing stuff as I move through whatever I'm looking at. <10 is generally optimum.

Yeah, that's kind of what I do. I also try not to have processes running unless they're OS processes or programs I'm actively using (the sole exception being antivirus). Basically every non-OS program I've set so that it doesn't start on Windows start-up.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #16466
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

So I just got my new RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820231536 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 7-8-8-24 1.5v

I went into the BIOS and used the XMP profile thing which automatically set all the timings and such to what the RAM says it's supposed t do. However, now that I've started it up I see that when idling my CPU core temps are ranging from 53 C to 60 C, when before it was staying around 33 C to 42 C when idling. My CPU is an i5 760 @ 2.8 GHz with the stock cooler that came with it. On the package for the RAM it does say that it's compatible with the i5.

Should I try changing the timings to like 9-9-9-24 or something similar, or should I lower the MHz speed, or what?
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #16467
slayer_rule_\m/
Sadness_rules_\m/

Location: Gotta problem then tell me, nuttin long cause I'm straight from LC.
Got a macbook pro recently, still getting used to having **** all space on the solid state drive.
Anyone got any tips on how to manage all my stuff better? (I'd consider myself the computer version of a horder when it comes to music/plugins/files)

I've got an external hard drive and use that but I like to have things actually on the computer too.
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #16468
Gaz_m2k5
How appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thHorsemen
So I just got my new RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820231536 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 7-8-8-24 1.5v

I went into the BIOS and used the XMP profile thing which automatically set all the timings and such to what the RAM says it's supposed t do. However, now that I've started it up I see that when idling my CPU core temps are ranging from 53 C to 60 C, when before it was staying around 33 C to 42 C when idling. My CPU is an i5 760 @ 2.8 GHz with the stock cooler that came with it. On the package for the RAM it does say that it's compatible with the i5.

Should I try changing the timings to like 9-9-9-24 or something similar, or should I lower the MHz speed, or what?

I didn't think changing RAM timings could affect the CPU temperatures, at least significantly, and whilst idling.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally change something else in BIOS like FSB? Download CPU-Z to see what your actual clock and RAM speeds are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer_rule_\m/
Got a macbook pro recently, still getting used to having **** all space on the solid state drive.
Anyone got any tips on how to manage all my stuff better? (I'd consider myself the computer version of a horder when it comes to music/plugins/files)

I've got an external hard drive and use that but I like to have things actually on the computer too.

I've recently gone on a rampage to make my PC quieter. Step 1 has been to remove all the noisy hard drives (had 3 in there) and replace the OS hard drive with an SSD. I got a decent 500GB one which is enough for all my programs and Windows stuff.

Asides from that, I have a 640GB HDD for games, and I'm moving the 3TB and 500GB hard drives to a NAS enclosure. That why I can access all my videos on the 3TB hard drive, and use the 500GB for backing up important stuff that I don't use often.

Might be a pricey option though, but I think the network storage option is more viable than external hard drives. Faster/easier access/neater.

RAGEMUSEBLOCPARTYFEEDERQOTSA
SOUND CITY PLAYERS - HMV FORUM 19/02/13

Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 : Today at 09:31 AM.
Gaz_m2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #16469
slayer_rule_\m/
Sadness_rules_\m/

Location: Gotta problem then tell me, nuttin long cause I'm straight from LC.
I got the grand total of 250GB built in....****ing gash, all I could afford though.
I mean it's not gash, it's great I'm just not used to it.
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #16470
The4thHorsemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz_m2k5
I didn't think changing RAM timings could affect the CPU temperatures, at least significantly, and whilst idling.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally change something else in BIOS like FSB? Download CPU-Z to see what your actual clock and RAM speeds are.

I don't really know much about this, I just know I installed some new RAM that has a higher speed and better timings, I selected the XMP profile, it looked like it matched the info for the RAM and now my CPU is running hot. I haven't tried changing anything yet.

I just downloaded CPU-Z and it all looks good, except I have no idea what FSB:DRAM is, so I don't know if that's right.

Edit: there's also a lot of info on the CPU tab that I don't know about
Attached Images
File Type: png CPUZ.png (14.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png CPUZ2.png (27.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by The4thHorsemen : Today at 09:58 AM.
The4thHorsemen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #16471
The4thHorsemen

Ok, I figured out that XMP is changing my base clock from 133 to 160 and the multiplier from 21 to 18, so my CPU was running at 2,880 instead of 2,793. I tried leaving XMP on and changing my multiplier to 17, which gives 2,720, but that caused temperatures to go even higher. (Why is this?) I restarted immediately when I saw Core 0 hit 70 C and just loaded the optimized defaults, which have the CPU running around 40 C (normal) but sets the RAM to 1333 and 9-9-9-24. I'm able to change the timings without turning on XMP, but it looks like XMP is the only way to change the speed. I'm guessing I would just need to get a better CPU cooler to be able to run my RAM at full speed since it seems to be tied to the CPU clock.

Does all this make sense, or am I missing something?

So now I'm wondering: Does this mean I should be able to tighten my timings since my RAM is only running at 1333 MHz? I've got it set to 7-8-8-24 right now, which is what it's rated for at 1600MHz. Should I try lowering them, and if so how do I know what to change them to?

Rate This Thread: