Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
alans056

Best multieffect for 100$ ?

Hey guys,

I have a Visual Sound Jekyll&Hyde (overdrive + distortion) and it's awesome but I would like to have more effects. So instead of buying a lot pedals, I thought I could get a multieffect pedal.

I have a 100$ budget and I will buy online.

What are the best brands out there?

I really want something with a volume expression thing!

Thanks!
alans056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Get a used Line 6 M5, they run ~$100-$125 used. Probably the best MFX you will get for your budget if you only want FX and not amp modeling.

There is one for $129 on Guitar Center's used web site.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
alans056

ah thanks!
Though Line 6 get a lot of shit on this forum, with their spider amps mostly... Are you sure it's a good buy?

EDIT: And I'm looking for something with a volume pedal, for fading in/out

Last edited by alans056 : 02-02-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I'm not sure if you will get anything decent for that price. I have a Digitech RP355 and it cost 200. And, well... it's decent but nothing special. If you have $100 to spend, maybe look at what effect(s) you are after and buy them individually. They will also sound much better than any effect on the RP355 for example.

People usually suggest Joyo effects. They make cheap copies of the most well known pedals (for example Boss CE2 chorus, Ibanez Tubescreamer, MXR Phase 90) and people say they sound good. For $100 you could buy four Joyo pedals. But first decide what effects you are after.

EDIT: ^ Line 6 gets hate because of Spider series. But their multi FX pedals have a good reputation here.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 02-02-2013 at 08:23 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
alans056

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I'm not sure if you will get anything decent for that price. I have a Digitech RP355 and it cost 200. And, well... it's decent but nothing special. If you have $100 to spend, maybe look at what effect(s) you are after and buy them individually. They will also sound much better than any effect on the RP355 for example.

People usually suggest Joyo effects. They make cheap copies of the most well known pedals (for example Boss CE2 chorus, Ibanez Tubescreamer, MXR Phase 90) and people say they sound good. For $100 you could buy four Joyo pedals. But first decide what effects you are after.

Oh right I see. Well I'm mostly looking for : volume expression (fading in and out etc), tremolo, reverb, and delay.

I love the EHX pedals but individually they are expensive...
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alans056
Oh right I see. Well I'm mostly looking for : volume expression (fading in and out etc), tremolo, reverb, and delay.

I love the EHX pedals but individually they are expensive...

If you want that volume swell sound, do that with your guitar volume knob. That's what most people do and it will sound the same. It's a bit harder to do but when you get used to it, it's easy.

I have no experience with any Joyo pedals but they are worth considering. People have had good experiences with them. So for delay, reverb and tremolo maybe look at Joyo.

Though Joyo doesn't seem to make any reverb pedals. Does your amp have a reverb and what amp do you have?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
alans056

My amp is a Vox AC4TV (4w valve amp). It's really good, but has nothing built in haha!

I had never heared of joyo pedals before, but aren't they a bit hard to find ? Are they "boutique" ?

You're right about the volume knob technique though, it would save me money
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
My amp is a Vox AC4TV (4w valve amp). It's really good, but has nothing built in haha!

I had never heared of joyo pedals before, but aren't they a bit hard to find ? Are they "boutique" ?

You're right about the volume knob technique though, it would save me money

Amazon.com has joyo pedals and they are far from boutique
GFS pedals are pretty good if your in the USA.

If your in the uSA I really sugest looking at GC used site. I have got several really good deals on pedals. I bought a Morley bad Horsie 2 wah and an MXR Smart Gate for $125 for both. The MXR is $130 and the Morley is $135 new. So I bought 2 for less than 1 would cost new.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
jetwash69

Save up enough more to get a used Digitech GNX_, a used Line 6 POD floor, a used Fender Mustang Floor, or a used VOX MFX.

There is no "best" brand; each product has it's own pros and cons. Some have more feaures than others, and at a certain point up the scale you progress up to the rack mount format.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 02-02-2013 at 10:47 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

If you are sure that you want only those three effects, there's no point in buying a multi FX pedal. You might get three pedals for cheaper than a multi FX that would have not as good effects. Those multi FX pedals come with amp, cabinet and distortion models and some random effects and if you are never going to use them, you'll pay extra for useless stuff. Look at used pedals, you might find some for pretty cheap.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Seeing as how you already have a J&H and maybe would like to to with the pedalboard thing, I would suggest a Zoom MS50G. You can run up to 6 individual FX at once. It's $100, but discounts at GC, SA, or MF seem to pop up a lot. I got mine for $85 new.

Otherwise, I'd look for a used RP355.

http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/prod...ltistomp/ms50g/

Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
alans056

that seems really cool!

Are the sounds really good though?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I wouldn't suggest RP355. It sucks your tone (even when bypassed) and the FX are only half decent. It also comes with amp models that you might not want to use. As I said, if those three effects are what you are looking for, buy them individually. If you don't want any more effects than reverb, delay and tremolo, multi FX is not the way to go. And in your case you might want something without amp models so that Line 6 M5 suggested in first post might be a better option. I think it's much closer to pedal board than a RP355 that is IMO a bitch to tweak.

I'm not saying that RP355 is bad but I wouldn't recommend it. I use it for recording and headphone practicing and recorded sounds are pretty good. But never with an amp. It turns my tube amp into a digital sounding crap. I'm sure you can do better than that for the same price.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
that seems really cool!

Are the sounds really good though?
Yes. But no expression pedal.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not saying that RP355 is bad but I wouldn't recommend it. I use it for recording and headphone practicing and recorded sounds are pretty good. But never with an amp. It turns my tube amp into a digital sounding crap. I'm sure you can do better than that for the same price.
That's because you are not using it correctly. Either don't use amp modeling, or if you do then turn of the cabinet.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
That's because you are not using it correctly. Either don't use amp modeling, or if you do then turn of the cabinet.

I know how to use my pedal and I don't use any amps, cabs, effects, EQ, anything. I tried it with only modulation/delay/compressor on and completely bypassed. And it sounds awful bypassed. I can hear very clear difference with guitar -> amp and guitar -> bypassed RP355 -> amp and it's not due to my cables. With the same cables and my MXR Micro Chorus (it's true bypass, the sound still lacks a bit treble due to long cables) bypassed (guitar -> chorus bypassed -> amp) the sound was much better. And the effects on RP355 aren't great either. My advice if you want to use RP355 is to use it with powered speakers or headphones. That's the only good use for it. And still it takes a bit tweaking not to sound too harsh or too dull. X-Edit software helps with tweaking though.

I don't hate my RP355 but I don't love it either. It's just not that great IMO. It's a cheap multi FX, nothing more.

And TS doesn't need expression pedal any more because he said that he can do it with volume knob.

My advice is still individual pedals. TS only needs three pedals, no need to buy a multi FX because for the same price (or a bit more) you can get much better individual pedals and no useless features that you will get on a multi FX. For example if he's not using amp models or other modulations than tremolo.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 02-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
jetwash69

Quote:
...My advice if you want to use RP355 is to use it with powered speakers or headphones. That's the only good use for it. And still it takes a bit tweaking not to sound too harsh or too dull...

That's just because your amp goes to 11...twice!

Actually, I've got an RP355, too, and I only use it on my practice rig (guitar => RP344 => VOX DA5).

Tonewise it's great for that purpose, although the shortage of controls on it makes it impractical to use it for effects on the fly.

I may have hooked it up to the tube halfstack once or twice, but it's really too impractical to deal with to use it for playing a show, so I coulnd't tell you what it sounds like. I do use a GNX4 thruough the halfstack a lot, but it sounds good enough going straight into the house PA that I normally just leave the Marshall at home.

If I had to subjectively express it in numbers, I'd say that running the GNX4 thru a starved plate tube pre-amp between the unit and the PA warms up the tone about 5% and going thru the Marshall by itself warms it about about 10%. You can hear the difference in a blind test, but the GNX4 still sounds good on it's own. BTW, I prefer playing the GNX4 direct to PA over playing the Marshall without the GNX4, even though the Marshall has 12 different gain stages built in (3 stages x4 channels).
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: