Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #241
blueturtle

I'm looking at a couple of used guitars -- any feedback on Taylor BT2 Baby vs Epiphone Hummingbird? I currently use a classical guitar and find it a bit bulky for my strumming arm (I'm pretty short); I play rhythm guitar and (very simple) fingerstyle.
blueturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #242
TobusRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturtle
I'm looking at a couple of used guitars -- any feedback on Taylor BT2 Baby vs Epiphone Hummingbird? I currently use a classical guitar and find it a bit bulky for my strumming arm (I'm pretty short); I play rhythm guitar and (very simple) fingerstyle.

Hmmmm. The Baby Taylor is a nice little guitar, but it's still a little guitar. I'd try the fingering higher up the fretboard to see how it feels on both guitars. I've learned that short scale guitars can be more difficult to finger higher up the fretboard. If you don't plan on playing higher up the neck, doing barre chords or using capos, then it's a non-issue.

I'd also recommend checking out some of the parlor guitars. They are small, comfy axes to play. Generally I think they have wider necks than the travel guitars (so that should appeal to a guy used to classical). There was a thread a couple weeks ago about them.

Good luck.
TobusRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #243
blueturtle

I am working on barre chords and just starting with a capo, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks.

I have tried a couple of parlour guitars (A&L, Seagull) and I'm on the fence about them. One was right out of the box so I don't know how that would affect how the strings played, but it didn't seem to stay in tune very long. Hopefully it's just the ones I've tried, because it would be a good option for me.

Last edited by blueturtle : 11-30-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #244
mom24kids81

I am looking for a thin line acoustic electric. Right now I am playing a Boulder Creek Solitaire, which has amazing sound but because of a shoulder injury it's not so comfortable to play with its wide body. A ESP LTD Thin Line was suggested, it has a wide neck with jumbo frets--being a female with sm hands not sure about the ease of playing barre chords let alone standard chords. Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
mom24kids81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #245
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom24kids81
I am looking for a thin line acoustic electric. Right now I am playing a Boulder Creek Solitaire, which has amazing sound but because of a shoulder injury it's not so comfortable to play with its wide body. A ESP LTD Thin Line was suggested, it has a wide neck with jumbo frets--being a female with sm hands not sure about the ease of playing barre chords let alone standard chords. Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
You mean one of these?
The neck width is listed as 43mm. That's hardly a "wide neck". In fact it's very close to the average of steel string acoustics today. (In decimal form 1.6875 or 1 11/16").

I desperately want one of these, so I can stand up and do windmills with it, thereby indulging my paranoid delusions of Pete Townshend-hood. And they make it in a left hand edition...

First, you know it's not a "real acoustic" per se, and is going to need to be plugged in for anything other than quiet practice.

It has a, "shortish" scale. 25" as opposed to the typical dreadnought's 25.5", and just a touch longer than that of a Les Paul's 24.75". If I'm hearing you right, that should be a good thing. The small body and short scale will contribute greatly to ease of play. After that, it's simply a matter of choosing the right string set gauge to suit your ability.

As for the jumbo frets, if anything, they make a guitar easier to play, not harder.

Since the guitar is piezo only, acoustic strings would be the way to go. There are "hybrid" guitars with piezo & magnetic pickups which won't give of their best without nickel wound electric strings, but it does compromise the acoustic emulation a fair amount.

I'm going to go a bit out on a limb, and speculate the overall playing experience, with respect to body size and neck geometry, would be very similar to that of a Les Paul with a set of heavy-ish strings. Maybe .011 to .052's. You should try out a Les Paul
type guitar to determine if it would be comfortable for you to play in the seated position

The top is spruce which would indeed contribute to the acoustic impersonation:

Here's the guitar at ESP's website: http://www.espguitars.com/products/9492-tl-6-nat

I think if I had an extra nickel laying around, I'd buy a lefty one of these, string it up with acoustic custom lights (.011 to .052), and have a blast. Just try to keep in mind this guitar is not going to be the full on acoustic experience of a dreadnought by the campfire.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 12-05-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #246
Tony Done

The Taylor GS Mini is very nice, especially, IMO, the mahogany-top version, but it ain't cheap.

It doesn't sound like a small guitar.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #247
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done
The Taylor GS Mini is very nice, especially, IMO, the mahogany-top version, but it ain't cheap.

It doesn't sound like a small guitar.
Was my long winded and enthusiastic post about the TL-6 too electrically profane for this forum? Perspiring minds want to know.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 12-05-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #248
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Was my long winded and enthusiastic post about the TL-6 too electrically profane for this forum? Perspiring minds want to know.

Nah, but my attention span is about like a termite these days. HTH As a performer, I could get excited about guitars like the TL-6, but as a back porch/man cave acoustic guitarist they do nothing for me.

I stuck to strictly acoustic, since that seemed to be the OP's interest.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #249
Captaincranky

Quote:
...[ ]...I stuck to strictly acoustic, since that seemed to be the OP's interest.
Hmm, my bad. "Mom" hijacked the thread and I took the bait.

(Although from a technical standpoint, I'm not sure it's actually possible to hijack as sticky such as this)..

Last edited by Captaincranky : 12-05-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #250
blueturtle

Another question -- solid top vs laminate top. My understanding is that laminate is more durable/less susceptible to changes in humidity, but solid top has a better sound.

I'm only playing for myself at home and would like to practice outside in the backyard while hanging out with my kids, have the guitar out in the house where the kids also live, on road trips, etc., without having to worry excessively about being too rough on the guitar. Is a laminate top really a lot tougher than a solid top? I'm only going to buy one guitar and while I'm not going to purposefully be rough on it, I don't want to decide not to bring it along play it because I'm worried about being too hard on it. I also live in a place with moderately humid summers and dry air indoors in the winter (eastern Ontario) and I'm not sure how big an issue that would be for a guitar I'm just playing for fun.

I'm asking because an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry guitar came up on kijiji and I'm having a hard time pinning down info on it, but I think it's a laminate top.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #251
Captaincranky

Quote:
Another question -- solid top vs laminate top. My understanding is that laminate is more durable/less susceptible to changes in humidity, but solid top has a better sound.

I'm only playing for myself at home and would like to practice outside in the backyard while hanging out with my kids, have the guitar out in the house where the kids also live, on road trips, etc., without having to worry excessively about being too rough on the guitar. Is a laminate top really a lot tougher than a solid top? I'm only going to buy one guitar and while I'm not going to purposefully be rough on it, I don't want to decide not to bring it along play it because I'm worried about being too hard on it. I also live in a place with moderately humid summers and dry air indoors in the winter (eastern Ontario) and I'm not sure how big an issue that would be for a guitar I'm just playing for fun.

I'm asking because an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry guitar came up on kijiji and I'm having a hard time pinning down info on it, but I think it's a laminate top.
Art & Lutherie has a full spec page as I believe, do all of Godin's brands. http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/specs.htm

Solid tops not only sound better, but they project better as well.

As long as your guitar(s) won't be drying out during the summer, a hard shell case and an in case humidifier should get you through a couple of rough months.

If you use any kind of combustion non vented space heater, (kerosene, natural gas, propane), they produce water vapor. You can also put pans of water on radiators if you have them. Possibly boil off a big pot of water on the gas range from time to time. Every little bit of water vapor helps.

Have you read our humidity sticky yet? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=987641

Last edited by Captaincranky : 12-06-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 AM   #252
Tony Done

Your laminated/solid premise is generally true, IMO, but you have to trust your ears. I've had a lot of fancy guitars over the years but my favourite for fingerpicking in quiet environment, where I don't need a banjo killer, has a laminated top. - And if I do need a banjo killer, I just plug it in.

Last edited by Tony Done : 12-06-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #253
blueturtle

Quote:
Art & Lutherie has a full spec page as I believe, do all of Godin's brands. http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/specs.htm

I looked at that but I couldn't figure out where a guitar just listed as "Wild Cherry" fit in. I've seen a couple on kijiji that just say "model: Wild Cherry," even on the pic of the label inside the guitar. It could be an Almond model, as they're cherry back & sides and laminated cherry top.

Quote:
Solid tops not only sound better, but they project better as well.

I'm still at the point where I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con for me... much of my practice time happens when my little kids are either asleep or trying to go to sleep. If I'm looking at playing for many years, though, that will eventually not be an issue any more.

Quote:
I've had a lot of fancy guitars over the years but my favourite for fingerpicking in quiet environment, where I don't need a banjo killer, has a laminated top.

At this point, that is the kind of playing I'm often doing. It's worth at least trying it out.

Thanks! I appreciate all the help.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:08 AM   #254
Captaincranky

Quote:
I looked at that but I couldn't figure out where a guitar just listed as "Wild Cherry" fit in. I've seen a couple on kijiji that just say "model: Wild Cherry," even on the pic of the label inside the guitar. It could be an Almond model, as they're cherry back & sides and laminated cherry top.
Well, Godin does use wild cherry B & S in more than one of their models. They're calling it a 'sustainable resource'. Point of fact, we may not have enough info yet.
Quote:
I'm still at the point where I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con for me... much of my practice time happens when my little kids are either asleep or trying to go to sleep. If I'm looking at playing for many years, though, that will eventually not be an issue any more.
I can't speak to Tony's point about his Maton, as I don't believe I've ever seen one, laminated or otherwise. He does use it to a purpose, and also has other guitars. There are types of musical styles which would lend themselves to the truncated sustain and chunky sound of a laminated top. There are also good sounding laminated guitars, and very poor ones. Mood is a strong determining factor as well, as I find myself picking up a guitar according to the sound I feel like hearing. Bright. mellow, shrill, 12 string, even electric, it all has its transient, whim influenced place in 'guitar speak'.

However, I've sort of stashed my 2 laminate Ibanez away, and am concentrating on my Fender "Sonoran", and 2 Epiphone EJ-200-SCE's

The trouble with 'trying out" guitars is, more often than not they all sound pretty darn good when you first get them, especially in situations where you can't A/B test. And according to popular mythology, familiarity tends to breed contempt. (In all things, not just guitars. In fact, that's probably the single most salient reason for our 50+% divorce rate).

As for having a single guitar to the end of keeping peace in the household, it's not as though laminated tops are virtually silent. You're going to have to make additional concessions to play all night with either type of acoustic.

So, if I had to pick just one acoustic, or had a do over in what I'd already bought, it would be a solid top.

Quote:
At this point, that is the kind of playing I'm often doing. It's worth at least trying it out.

Thanks! I appreciate all the help.
You're welcome.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 12-06-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #255
laurencealdridge

I am looking for advice on a new acoustic...currently playing a Freshman Apollo, with a LR Baggs pickup for live (going through a tc electronic Bodyrez pedal). It sounds okay but the advice I have had from a couple of very good sound engineers recently is to look for something old, with big sound, some roughness in the sound and plenty of bass and mid and that can take a very heavy strumming hand. I play in a folk/punk duo (with an electric fiddle). I include a link to last night's gig so you get an idea of what I'm playing and what sort of sound it currently has (this is the sound from the livestream which I think was a little thinner than the sound in the room).
Any advice gratefully received....

Here is a taste of what we play....https://youtu.be/P7QFY2dzjvg

Last edited by laurencealdridge : 12-20-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling errors!
laurencealdridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #256
samlee21

I am not sure but this is my favorite guitar, just love it

samlee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #257
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencealdridge
...[ ].... but the advice I have had from a couple of very good sound engineers recently is to look for something old, with big sound, some roughness in the sound and plenty of bass and mid and that can take a very heavy strumming hand....[ ]....
Well, the Gibson J-200 meets most or all of those criteria. The trouble is they're worth close to &5000.00 I expect any of the Martin Dreadnought would do a lot of the same things.

You friendly local sound engineers, started you off at maybe the $2000.00 price point, and every adjective they added, tagged on another $500.00 to $750.00 dollars to the price...

Back in the real world, (and this is going to sound like a stupid question, but it's not), what gauge strings are you using on the guitar you have now?

Besides, "Freshman Apollo" is a brand, so you're not telling me the model number or by extension the body size/style.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #258
Aaronbl56

Bedell Guitars

Has anyone heard of these guitars or even better, has anyone played one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13168785493...984.m1555.l2649

I was looking for a Breedlove when I came across this and I got curious.

Thanks!
Aaronbl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #259
TheCospirator

Hello guys.

I'm looking for an acoustic guitar. My budget is around 500$. It must be Dreadnought and Cutaway with EQ.

I can't decide between:

Takamine GD93CE -NAT
Fender CD-320ASRWCE

Any suggestion?
TheCospirator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:31 AM   #260
imanga.lashara

Unhappy Please Help ME

I'm looking for an acoustic electric guitar.

I can't decide between :

Yamaha APX 500II
Yamaha APX 500III

So What is the best One Please helpppppppppp.....

Last edited by imanga.lashara : 02-11-2016 at 02:33 AM.
imanga.lashara is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: