Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
GodsPrototype

Question Recording and playing with a loop station, microphone and acoustic electric guitar

I recently started to play guitar a few months ago, and I want to start recording a few songs. I want to buy a loop station (the BOSS RC-30) with a microphone and a USB interface, specifically the Scarlett 2i4. I have an acoustic electric guitar, but I'm not sure what equipment I would need to do what.

I want to be ale to directly record everything coming through my loop station, such as my guitar and vocals/whatever the microphone pics up, to my computer. However, I also would like to be able to simply perform without recording anything, so I'd assume I would need an amp.

I was looking at a few acoustic electric amps, but how would my vocals go through that? I am not that familiar with amps and I'm not sure if they are really made to be used with a microphone. How would I record and perform with both my guitar and my vocals with a loop station? Thanks
GodsPrototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsPrototype
I want to buy a loop station (the BOSS RC-30)
I reckon what you wanna do is doable without any looper.
The only reason why one would use a looper is doing something live, and you said you wanna record.
So, why would you want a looper?
Quote:
with a microphone and a USB interface, specifically the Scarlett 2i4.
The 2i4 sounds average for the money, so again, why would you want that?
Quote:
I want to be ale to directly record everything coming through my loop station, such as my guitar and vocals/whatever the microphone pics up, to my computer.
Whatever stereo audio interface would do.
You're recording acoustic guitars and voices, so a good sounding one would be better.
Quote:
However, I also would like to be able to simply perform without recording anything, so I'd assume I would need an amp.
Yeah, you do need an amp + a cab or an active cab.
Quote:
I was looking at a few acoustic electric amps, but how would my vocals go through that? I am not that familiar with amps and I'm not sure if they are really made to be used with a microphone.
Stay away from acoustic guitar amps, they're over-glorified low to average quality active speakers.
Get a PA system.

Used mackie, yamaha, jbl, peavey stuff...
Mind it being stereo and with the woofer bigger than 10", in the low budget domain everything with a less than a 12" woofer is more or less a toy.
Quote:
How would I record and perform with both my guitar and my vocals with a loop station? Thanks
I wouldn't use the looper while recording - I'd plug the mic and the guitar in the audio interface, record in time, with clicks and stuff, and then overdub whatever has to be overdubbed.
DAWs are nice at doing that kinda stuff, you may wanna look into them.

If you gotta use the looper, plug the left out into the left input on the interface and the right out to the right in on the interface, then press record and play.
When you're done you press the record button again, or the stop button, and voilą.

To play live you follow the directions above substituting the interface with your PA system and skipping the record and stop buttons.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
GodsPrototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
I reckon what you wanna do is doable without any looper.
The only reason why one would use a looper is doing something live, and you said you wanna record.
So, why would you want a looper?
The 2i4 sounds average for the money, so again, why would you want that?
Whatever stereo audio interface would do.
You're recording acoustic guitars and voices, so a good sounding one would be better.
Yeah, you do need an amp + a cab or an active cab.
Stay away from acoustic guitar amps, they're over-glorified low to average quality active speakers.
Get a PA system.

Used mackie, yamaha, jbl, peavey stuff...
Mind it being stereo and with the woofer bigger than 10", in the low budget domain everything with a less than a 12" woofer is more or less a toy.
I wouldn't use the looper while recording - I'd plug the mic and the guitar in the audio interface, record in time, with clicks and stuff, and then overdub whatever has to be overdubbed.
DAWs are nice at doing that kinda stuff, you may wanna look into them.

If you gotta use the looper, plug the left out into the left input on the interface and the right out to the right in on the interface, then press record and play.
When you're done you press the record button again, or the stop button, and voilą.

To play live you follow the directions above substituting the interface with your PA system and skipping the record and stop buttons.

Thank you so much for the extremely detailed answer! Could you please elaborate as to whether I can sing through an amp or PA system live? If I were to use a PA system live, I would be able to sing through it I assume. Would an amp do that as well? Or should I just get a PA system.

As for the Scarlett 2i4, I actually saw some really good reviews about it. Most people advised this one to me for a low budget but good quality USB interface.

I would like to use a loop station because I think I will have a lot of fun using it, making my own sounds with different instruments etc. So yes, I would like to use it live and when recording.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Thank you so much for the extremely detailed answer! Could you please elaborate as to whether I can sing through an amp or PA system live?
You can sing through an acoustic amp, yeah.
Quote:
Or should I just get a PA system.
Yes you should.
They work better, they do more stuff, they are bigger and they are more versatile.
Quote:
As for the Scarlett 2i4, I actually saw some really good reviews about it. Most people advised this one to me for a low budget but good quality USB interface.
It's damn full of good reviews about the scarlett range.
They're a big step up from the stuff people usually start with - say the m-audio fast track range, but they don't sound much good.
I can't think of any better sounding interface than the 2i2 for the same money, but once you go up a bit you can get hella better results with a used apogee duet, or a mackie onyx blackjack, or a roland duo capture ex.
Quote:
I would like to use a loop station because I think I will have a lot of fun using it
They are a lot of fun to play with indeed
Quote:
making my own sounds with different instruments etc. So yes, I would like to use it live and when recording.
Doing this would be hella better without a looper if you were recording.
If you wanna do live performances they are a pretty convenient thing to have, but when recording stick to an audio interface and a DAW.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
GodsPrototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
You can sing through an acoustic amp, yeah.
Yes you should.
They work better, they do more stuff, they are bigger and they are more versatile.
It's damn full of good reviews about the scarlett range.
They're a big step up from the stuff people usually start with - say the m-audio fast track range, but they don't sound much good.
I can't think of any better sounding interface than the 2i2 for the same money, but once you go up a bit you can get hella better results with a used apogee duet, or a mackie onyx blackjack, or a roland duo capture ex.
They are a lot of fun to play with indeed
Doing this would be hella better without a looper if you were recording.
If you wanna do live performances they are a pretty convenient thing to have, but when recording stick to an audio interface and a DAW.

Great! Thank you so much for the advice!

Rate This Thread: