Stop posting novels on every post OP...

Allllll righty then....
DancesWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan8
Lol... I was the bass player in this situation. And it was just a spur of the moment thing where no one was playing bass while they were working through some songs for the night... But I get what you are saying. It will mostly be me and the wife (drummer) at the house as my oldest daughter has moved out and won't always be around.

I dunno, man. Perhaps you should take some tips from the world's finest... and take an interest in funk.

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #43
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I dunno, man. Perhaps you should take some tips from the world's finest... and take an interest in funk.

This is an excellent idea, OP. Funk not only sounds awesome, but is rhythmically challenging. I've tried it. It will test your rhythm skills if they are not that good, so have a metronome ready and be prepared to relax those arms and wrists and take it really slow. Heck I only played it slowed down and it still sounded good (and you can hear when Guthrie Govan slows down, it still sounds, well, groovy). Plus you can apply the techniques to any chord or genre if that is what you wish.

I really want to get back on it. Now that my winter recital for music school is done with (which went pretty ok... This was my second recital and it was a HUGE improvement over the first recital back in August. I was able to focus on the music itself, rhythm, dynamics, what I wanted it to sound like overall, and my own body/posture/movements, without letting the fact that I was in front of a bunch of people near-paralyze me like it did first time around, I just tuned that out and focused on the music and even moved my body and head to the rhythm. Even though I still got a bit anxious and accidentally sped up the tempo a bit a couple of times, I think I did ok), I guess I can kind of temporarily take a bit of emphasis off classical for a couple of weeks and pick up my electric and finish my funk, r&b and soul rhythm video lessons and learn a some more jazz standards (I've got that real book sitting at home and every time I look at it, I just want to open it and learn another tune). Little by little though.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #44
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

2 things that can really help -

Tap your foot. When playing, when listening. All the time. You can "practice" this on your commute, doing work with music on, etc.

Make sure when you're playing rhythm guitar that you're keeping downstrokes on the beat and a continuous strumming motion. This will help massively as it's a physical timekeeping system.

I reckon this would help -

I presume drummers do the same thing leading with the right hand or something on fills, ask your buddies.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: