Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Jet Penguin
That Zen Guitarist

Used to rest my palm on the bridge/guitar body always; those days are over and I'm glad I switched.

Anchoring is restrictive; it's simple physics. No one ever ran faster (or more smoothly) in crutches or a cast. Less obstacles the better.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Jet Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #22
ouchies
UG's OG

I rest my palm on the guitar but I don't pus down and often lift up my hand. I don't see anchoring as a problem as long as there's no tension. I can pick almost as fast as I could ever want with my technique.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #23
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I used to anchor for 2 years, then made the switch. This is so much better, for me atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 01-24-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #24
Shor

I made the change a couple of years back after having anchored for 10 years+.
It feels so much more comfortable playing now, and contrary to what many feels anchoring helps with, I am much more accurate when I play now as well.
It didn't take very long to make the switch either...I just started playing with a (very very) loose fist...just like my hand would be normally when relaxed. It took maybe a month or two to start getting as comfortable as I was with anchoring.
Now I can't even play anchored even if I tried...it's just too awkward.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #25
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
Some of the fastest alternate pickers anchor.

As has been said: just because some other player does it, doesn't mean it's the best- or most efficient- technique.

I mean, just because MAB happens to anchor, and also happens to be able to play fast, it's a non sequitur to say that anchoring enabled him to reach those speeds.

It's an argument I see a lot, and it just doesn't follow. I've even received "hate mail" from angry internet users because I strongly support picking without anchoring! Mostly from people who play that way because that's just how they were taught- without regard to how these techniques are actually working.

I'm still yet to come across an argument that proves that anchoring is a superior technique. What advantages does it give? I don't think it's good enough to say that it gives you more stability (you can get just as much by floating), or that it just "feels right" (possibly the worst argument in favour of any guitar technique ever- it doesn't have to "feel right", it has to work with the design of the guitar and of your body- that doesn't always "feel right" at first).

Yet, in favour of not anchoring, there is the whole issue with reducing tension, easier switching to hybrid picking or tapping, and a freer movement of your wrist. In my mind there is no comparison.

I explain further my thoughts on anchoring in this video:

http://chainsawguitartuition.net/bl...-why-is-it-bad/
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Andy Pollow

Quote:
I'm still yet to come across an argument that proves that anchoring is a superior technique. What advantages does it give? I don't think it's good enough to say that it gives you more stability (you can get just as much by floating), or that it just "feels right" (possibly the worst argument in favour of any guitar technique ever- it doesn't have to "feel right", it has to work with the design of the guitar and of your body- that doesn't always "feel right" at first).

Anchoring to me is more about tone than speed. I can pick like Yngwie and Gilbert but I dont really like that palm muted sound. I prefer to not mute because I like the tone more. Ive tried playing with my whole hand all the way off and it really is nice - especially with rotation ( turn a key ) but I feel like you need more of a seat belt for shredding standing with a strap. Some jazz players pick good that way sitting down.

But it can help with speed too a little cuz you dont feel as much difference between up and down strokes... Its like when you use a guide when your cutting wood. It can make your wrist swing in an interesting consistent way like a see saw.

And why would anyone send angry emails?! That dont make no sense. Your allowed to play your guitar any way you want no matter what you read on a forum. It shouldnt be a heated argument. Ive been on both sides of that - I used to be against anchoring. Ive seen so many things I think they all work with alot of practice.

Last edited by Andy Pollow : 01-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
sweetdude3000

It's been a couple of weeks since I have stopped anchoring. I am already finding that I can manage just as well by floating. Funny enough, when I did try to anchor it felt weird and restrictive. I can conclude that float is more conducive to a relaxed hand so in the long run it should serve me better if you go by the firmly rooted and what I think true notion that tension is your enemy..
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
Anchoring to me is more about tone than speed.

Well, picking and technical efficiency isn't always about speed, either. I just find the best techniques are the ones that require the least amount of effort for the greatest effect.

Quote:
...but I feel like you need more of a seat belt for shredding standing with a strap.

You don't need a seatbelt. I understand what you're saying about the tonal thing, though. I'm pretty sure MAB picks the way he does- at least in part- to get that really loud sound that he gets. Seriously, he's loud even when not plugged in to an amp!

If you really want that sound, then go for it...but there are much better ways to use a pick, and the volume increase is pretty negligible when playing at full volume through an amp

Quote:
But it can help with speed too a little cuz you dont feel as much difference between up and down strokes... Its like when you use a guide when your cutting wood. It can make your wrist swing in an interesting consistent way like a see saw.

If you're picking motion is coming from the wrist, then your forearm is kinda like a guide, too- just a much less tense one. Keeping your arm fairly steady works much better with the design of your body. If you're been trying to pick sing strings using a motion from your elbow or shoulder, I can see why you would have problems with that...

Quote:
And why would anyone send angry emails?!

I have a contact form on my website lol it wasn't directly related to these forums. The page I linked to above talks about anchoring and why I think it is wrong. That makes some people really angry, apparently

Just out of interest, what make you switch from non-anchoring, to anchoring? Was there a specific point where you changed, or did you just gradually adapt?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
Andy Pollow

Quote:
You don't need a seatbelt.

I guess Im a little different - most rock players wouldnt get this. I like to tie a sock around my neck so I dont have to mute. I like the tone best picking without palm muting close to the neck. So you could play with your arm anchored and your whole hand off but its really difficult to shred that way especially standing with a strap. If I slide the ring finger like Yngwie I still feel like I need the palm on the strings. So I have to anchor something for balance if I dont want my palm touching the strings. Ive tried every anchoring variety and I like the middle and ring fingers - on the tips of the fingers - not flat on the guitar. There is a BIG difference anchoring flat on the guitar or standing up on the tips.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
deltadaz

To original question
YES worth trying my picking speed has doubled since i stopped anchoring.
But then i do practice a lot at my picking also, around an hour a day..
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Anyone who used to anchor there pinky and then made the switch to find that it was worth the effort? I would like some encouragement ... unfortunately I see I have ingrained this bad habit and it seems like it will be a lot of work to undo. Thanks

Mate think of it this way:Tension is the mother of all evil when it comes to guitar playing.And that goes for both hands.So when you are anchoring at the very best you create loads of unecessary tension for your right hand, at the very worst hand injuries .

A relaxed floating hand also makes you tackle everything about guitar playing-strumming,fast picking you name it... with the SAME unified motion.When anchoring you cant do that.And giving mixed signals to your picking hand is the last thing you want.This ll become more and more evident while you progress and try to learn new things.Lets say you want to learn to hybrid pick for example and you are heavily anchoring....immediately you have to change almost everything about your picking hand but if you were floating only small adjustments... the list goes on and on.

Forget anchoring...a relaxed floating hand is more ergonomically sound and ll make you enjoy playing even more .All the work you are doing now to reverse the bad habit ll be paid of with huge interest in the future .
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
Andy Pollow

Jason Becker always anchored his pinky and sometimes the ring finger too. I think Perpetual Burn was just as good as Paul Gilbert or Al Dimeola... Thats true you have to lift your fingers up for hybrid picking and you might want your hand up for struming big chords.... With anchoring there is no tension if you move right - it just dosent allow you to move any way you want.

I love picking like Paul Gilbert but I think it would be sad if everyone was brainwashed against anchoring like its a bad habit. Cuz in some ways I think anchoring is actually better than floating. I gotta start makin videos. Im alternate pickin fast scales better than ever.

Last edited by Andy Pollow : 01-29-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #33
Drew-A
Rock Guitar Instrumentals

Interesting thread. I rest my forearm on the guitar, but that's it.

Never really even considered "anchoring" the way it's being discussed here. Seems to me that would feel pretty awkward, ever for a novice.

But hey, whatever works.

Last edited by Drew-A : 01-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Drew-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #34
sweetdude3000

I practice almost everyday but yea, the switch was totally worth it. It didn't take too long to ingrain it out of my system. I am finding myself playing runs with greater ease and fluidity than before. I also found you can still get plenty of speed without having to angle the pick, and on top of that, you get a better tone to boot.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Actually, lately I found it easier to pick while wearing long sleeved shirts instead of short-sleeved T-shirts. The cloth allows my arm to move smoother while moving strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
I also found you can still get plenty of speed without having to angle the pick, and on top of that, you get a better tone to boot.

It's not neccesarily better, it's just different.

Last edited by My Last Words : 02-06-2013 at 03:54 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #36
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Actually, lately I found it easier to pick while wearing long sleeved shirts instead of short-sleeved T-shirts. The cloth allows my arm to move smoother while moving strings.

Really? I hate playing in long sleeves. It just feels weird.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: