Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
bchin7

Improving "stuck" feeling...

So I've been playing (I probably using this word very loosely) for a while now and I've always found barr chords to be troubling but now I'm starting to get much better with them.

That being said I'm playing a lot more consistently mainly because I got a amazing Martin a couple weeks ago, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm in a position where I don't really know what else to do to improve once I've mastered barr chords.

Sure I can keep looking up tabs and learning to play songs I like, but I feel that this only accomplishes a small portion to become a good player.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books that I might be able to look at that will allow my practice times to become more effective and efficient....

I'm currently looking at the Guitar Grimoire more books specifically the fingerpicking and progression and improvisation books but don't really know what to think about them and would like some feedback prior to dropping 20+ bucks on one of these....

Thanks.
bchin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Well the most important thing you can do if you want to break out of this feeling is ask yourself what you want to do with the guitar. I mean I and many other people could recommend many things to do but until you know what you want there's no way of knowing whether what you're practicing is the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Don't touch the Guitar Grimoire with a bargepole, it's crap.

Like Zaphod said, what do you WANT to do?

I'm assuming you started playing the guitar for a reason, what was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
InfiniStudent

Obviously there is a core curriculum of standard techniques that we all must learn and know.
There is also standard music theory that will help expand your understanding of how songs/music works "under the hood"
Then there is expanding your "set list" and spending time learning/covering songs.
Really, you need to be doing all of these things. Guitar/Music is just a BIG puzzle. And their are lots of ways to put it together.

As Zaph and Steve pointed out, what your most important goals are right now should determine whether you work on the border or start with those pieces that are already snapped together.

Personally, in the beginning I liked to spend 70-80% of my time "chasing songs".
I would find a song that I REALLY liked (that seemed a little bit more difficult than the ones I already played, BUT within reach) and I slowly hacked it out and learned it.
This is a great approach because within these songs you will have to learn the standard techniques applied in order to play them. If you can't figure them out (crappy tab, etc) get an instructor to help you.

Not only do you learn techniques, but now you have a rockin' song to show them off with AND you can play it in a group with a band. Double mileage.

Also, instead of confusing scattered fragments, you are seeing them snapped together IN CONTEXT that obviously WORKS. The song is a hit for a reason.

P.S. I respectfully disagree with Steven. The Grimoires are awesome Reference books (hence their stellar reputation and millions of copies sold), but you have to know How and When to use them, otherwise they are just confusing as heck; information overload. I would definitely not start there - they are more useful when you are already experienced and understand theory, they are not gentle beginner primers.

Happy Jammin!

Last edited by InfiniStudent : 01-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
InfiniStudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: