Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
cafmil

Going active in pick ups.

Hi!

Recently i got an offer to buy an dragonfire 81c for 20, so i decided to put it on my guitar.

I got an ephipone sg special with stock pickups, but i never changed them before.

The pickup would come w/o anyother component but the pickup itself, what would i need to buy to put it on the bridge? I got myself a solder, but i think i need 2 potentiometers and a stereo jack if i'm right.

Any help on what to buy before picking up the pickup (No pun intended :P) or how to install it?.

Thanks beforehand!
cafmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You need to replace the pots with 25k pots and the current mono jack with a stereo one. You also need to remove the ground wire from the bridge and find somewhere for the battery to fit, of course. Lastly, you'll need to remove the neck pickup, unless you also replace the neck pickup with an active one.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
cafmil

Cant i have an active and a passive pick up on the same guitar?
cafmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

You can, but apparently it's not as straight forward as that. There is a guide on here somewhere about it I believe.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You can only mix active and passive pickups in the same guitar by splitting up their controls and adding an active boost to the passive signal, which defeats the point of keeping passives. Even then, there will be a large output mismatch and small impedance mismatch between the passive and active pickups and using a boost on the passives will increase the noise you get and drain the battery far, far faster.

Basically, it can never sound even remotely balanced, it's a huge pain to do and it's quicker, cheaper and more effective to simply switch all your pickups to active/passive than to try and mix them.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
The Neighbor of the Beast

You are better off with a hot passive. Actives are over-rated.... IMO.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: