Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #4141
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Ewww...Reddit.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #4142
TripLid
Registered User
 
TripLid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone hear has had any experience with the Record Out that Peavey offers on some of their amps. I have the new Valveking ii and the Vypyr and they both are installed with them. I was hoping to record some tracks and I noticed some of my favorite artists (Keith Merrow, Ryan Bruce, Rob Scallon etc) suggest Audio Interfaces, but never go into using the record out on amps. Can I get good quality out of a record out, or should I get an interface? I would like to hear your opinions. I do realize that you do need a decent DAW and Computer I just want to know if the record out will produce a good enough base sound.
TripLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #4143
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Everyone you respect is telling you to use an Interface and not the out on your amp.

This site similarly recommends using interfaces and actually makes references to record outs on amps, thought admittedly the USB outs on things like Fender Mustangs, as crap in the sticky.

Record Out = Bad converters, poor tone, general crappy-ness in 90 times outa 100. It's a feature that is normally tacked on at the end. Buy an interface.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #4144
Schecter_6661
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLid
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone hear has had any experience with the Record Out that Peavey offers on some of their amps. I have the new Valveking ii and the Vypyr and they both are installed with them. I was hoping to record some tracks and I noticed some of my favorite artists (Keith Merrow, Ryan Bruce, Rob Scallon etc) suggest Audio Interfaces, but never go into using the record out on amps. Can I get good quality out of a record out, or should I get an interface? I would like to hear your opinions. I do realize that you do need a decent DAW and Computer I just want to know if the record out will produce a good enough base sound.

My brother bought a Vypyr amp and it sounded pretty cruddy for recordings. Now I couldn't mess with it before he sold it and he's pretty bad when it comes to technical things so he might just have done something wrong. But you'd be better off getting an interface. I'm sure the USB recording out can sound decent but the interface would be better in the long run i'd say.
Schecter_6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #4145
TripLid
Registered User
 
TripLid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Everyone you respect is telling you to use an Interface and not the out on your amp.

This site similarly recommends using interfaces and actually makes references to record outs on amps, thought admittedly the USB outs on things like Fender Mustangs, as crap in the sticky.

Record Out = Bad converters, poor tone, general crappy-ness in 90 times outa 100. It's a feature that is normally tacked on at the end. Buy an interface.




Thanks buddy.
TripLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #4146
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLid
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone hear has had any experience with the Record Out that Peavey offers on some of their amps. I have the new Valveking ii and the Vypyr and they both are installed with them. I was hoping to record some tracks and I noticed some of my favorite artists (Keith Merrow, Ryan Bruce, Rob Scallon etc) suggest Audio Interfaces, but never go into using the record out on amps. Can I get good quality out of a record out, or should I get an interface? I would like to hear your opinions. I do realize that you do need a decent DAW and Computer I just want to know if the record out will produce a good enough base sound.

Truth be told, the record out is NOT for recording. On the other hand, an interface totally is.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #4147
jonthorsigmunds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I guess this thread is fairly active so I'll give this a shot.

Yes, I read through the sticky. I am an absolute beginner in recording and have never done any at all.

I need an audio interface on the cheap for some home recording (covers and demos). I'm also planning on trying out Bias Desktop using the interface. I have an SM57 which I'd use to mic my Vox AC15.

I saw a Steinberg CI1 for dirt cheap locally, it is in mint condition and is barely used. I have read pretty decent reviews on it but also some not so good reviews. Do you guys have any experience with the interface or could point me in another direction?

The price I'm getting it for is around 45. I am really on a budget here to get me started but I also don't want to spend my money on shit.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Vox AC15

and a bunch pedals...

Last edited by jonthorsigmunds : 01-11-2015 at 06:33 AM.
jonthorsigmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #4148
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthorsigmunds
I guess this thread is fairly active so I'll give this a shot.

Yes, I read through the sticky. I am an absolute beginner in recording and have never done any at all.

I need an audio interface on the cheap for some home recording (covers and demos). I'm also planning on trying out Bias Desktop using the interface. I have an SM57 which I'd use to mic my Vox AC15.

I saw a Steinberg CI1 for dirt cheap locally, it is in mint condition and is barely used. I have read pretty decent reviews on it but also some not so good reviews. Do you guys have any experience with the interface or could point me in another direction?

The price I'm getting it for is around 45. I am really on a budget here to get me started but I also don't want to spend my money on shit.

For 45pounds, I don't think that'd be a bad deal. I assume the software comes with it? Because, according to Steinberg's website, there are 2 recording-type programs that come with the device.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #4149
jonthorsigmunds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
For 45pounds, I don't think that'd be a bad deal. I assume the software comes with it? Because, according to Steinberg's website, there are 2 recording-type programs that come with the device.


I guess the programs come with but I'll probably use Reaper anyway so it won't matter much. The guy says it's just been lying in the original box mostly since he bought it.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Vox AC15

and a bunch pedals...
jonthorsigmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #4150
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
All of Steinberg's interfaces are great when it comes to preamps and conversion. Its mostly the drivers where they've been iffy. If they've fixed those issues, it's well worth the price.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #4151
jonthorsigmunds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
All of Steinberg's interfaces are great when it comes to preamps and conversion. Its mostly the drivers where they've been iffy. If they've fixed those issues, it's well worth the price.


Great, thanks. I'm not really familiar with these things but I'd imagine that it would be possible to get 3rd party drivers to replace what might be lacking?
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Vox AC15

and a bunch pedals...

Last edited by jonthorsigmunds : 01-11-2015 at 06:29 PM.
jonthorsigmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #4152
Schecter_6661
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Ok. Well I was thinking about prodding your brains for a bit. I got a new interface, Scarlett 2i4, and have been pleased with my guitar recordings. I was thinking of maybe doing some vocals too. Would I just need a mic set up? Or would I need to do some modifications to my room for better sound quality? I do also have a small closet I could possible mess with since it's never used for a sound room but like I said, I have no idea.
Schecter_6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #4153
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Depend on what's your budget and what result you wanna achieve.

Considering you got a scarlett I'd say your best bet is to simply get an SM58 or similar.
A condenser mic will pick up a lot more ambience/room sound, which you don't want, and decent treatment + a decent condenser is gonna cost you around $300.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #4154
Schecter_6661
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I can go pretty high up on budget. Just wanted a feel for what would be necessary.
Schecter_6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #4155
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
If anyone's looking to get into Pro Tools - now is the time...

Alto Music has the Fast Track Solo for $300 and the Duo for $350 which INCLUDES the full version of Pro Tools 11!!

http://www.altomusic.com/featured/a...ools-interfaces


P.S. Just bought a set of internal mics/mounts for my drum set. Pretty excited to see how they sound compared to external.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #4156
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0
 
francesco18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Beep Street
Do you know how I could get those kinds of cool sounding ''edgy'' glitches/artifacts you can hear in the videos I just linked (Ulver are masters at this, I wonder how they create such glitches, just a matter of sampling the right things ?) :



__________________
yo dawg, I heard you like masterpieces : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyX7vc0k5_k


Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #4157
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
^ it's just a matter of funny fx, you can apply them to whatever sound.

Lemme break down the beginning of the first track you posted for you so you get a grip of what's going on, you try to replicate it, you get used to the sound and then you add this stuff in your music.

4 sounds up until 0:14.
First one is a plucked string (I'd replicate that in logic's sculpture, but you can just EQ a shamisen sample library to your liking) with some reverb and a bit of delay (just one repetition right after with a less marked attack, then pretty much fades) - for the same exact effect I'd say the delay's after the reverb.

Second one is a distorted 808 mid tom, no reverb (not that I can hear at least) but still with delay, this one with a bit more feedback (I hear 2 intelligible repetitions, then fades) and much longer delay time.

Third one is low pitched noise, panned centre, a bit compressed using the 808 tom as sidechain.

Fourth one, panned hard right, similar to a softly distorted electric piano (you may edit an electric piano sound you already have by cutting the highs or synthesize your own), has only some reverb on the right ch, and the 100% wet reverberated signal of the second elec piano chord (or maybe it's just a note with lotsa harmonics?) is heard in the centre, delayed with something like 35% feedback and relatively short time.

Then a fifth sound comes in, (seems like a reverse steel drum hit with some noise in it, though it's easier if you just synthesize one like that yourself), main characteristic of it being that it has a very strong decay and a very short release compared to the decay.

Then there's a bit of a raise (white noise with a high pass filter of which the cutoff frequency is raised over time) and the second part comes in.

There basically the same things happen, though you have a drum set, the low pitched buzzing is gone, and the plucked string sound is much stronger.

Is that what you wanted to know about or am I missing something?

--------
Also focusrite new product alert

For the first two minutes I read that as "carlett".

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...dio-interfaces/
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.