Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Syndromed
French guy

How to record a video over a backing track ?

Hello,

I don't know where to make this thread, so I'm sorry if it's the wrong section.

What I want to do : I want to record me, while playing the guitar over a backing track with a video.

When I just want to record a audio file, I use Audacity. I put the backing track in audacity, and then I record myself while the backing track is playing. It's easy.

But how do you do when you want to add a video recording ? (at the same time)
Do you record the video separately ? I thought to this solution, but ... after it's impossible to synchronize perfectly the video with the recorded audio file and the backing track.

I tried to find a software which can do all. I have Sony Vegas, Audacity and Windows Movie Maker.

In brief, I want at the same time :
- The video
- The backing track
- The audio from my guitar

I don't know if I'm clear, it's hard to me to explain ... I hope you understood my problem.

I have a UX2 with PodFarm for the guitar sound, and a logitech webcam for the video.

Thank you in advance,

Syndromed

Last edited by Syndromed : 05-24-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Syndromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Bertallica
Here

You need a good movie making program that will let you have multiple audio files play with your video. I know iMovie does this but I'm not sure Microsofts Movie maker does.

Once you've found the right program, you'll want to sync up the backing track with your webcam video but intentionally clapping or making some kind of motion to the tempo clicks at the beginning of the backing track. That way when you add the backing track to your video, you'll have a good point of reference to sync up your recording with the backing track.

Last edited by Bertallica : 05-24-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Bertallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Syndromed
French guy

I see, there are no solutions more "technological" ? You see what I mean ?

But, can you tell me the steps in your solution ? I understood the main, but I didn't understand exactly when I do this and when I do that etc ...
Like "1) Record you with your backing track
2) ... etc "

I have to record myself with the backing track, then record myself with the video and then delete the sound of the video and add my first record (me + the backing track) to this video ? Clapping ? When ?

I'm sorry if it sounds stupid !!

Anyway, thank you Bertallica!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
luvs2gro
Ug's Botan

This may help, try recording the audio of your guitar and the audio of your backing track both in audacity as you normally would, and at the same time record with the video. Start recording the video and audio but clap your hands before you start to play, then later take the video and mute it, and align the clap of the audio and video together to help sync it together, then edit out the clap once it is sync'd up... I hope this is clear enough, do you see what I am trying to say?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
DartS17

Depending on how familiar you are with audacity and how much you care about the audio quality, you could combine the backing track and your guitar audio track into one piece of audio. Then using your video editor add that singular audio track onto the video of you playing.
Quote:
But, can you tell me the steps in your solution ? I understood the main, but I didn't understand exactly when I do this and when I do that etc ... Like "1) Record you with your backing track 2) ... etc "

1.Record yourself playing guitar. Record both the video and audio, but only the audio from your guitar not the audio from the backing track.
2.Open audacity, import the backing track and the audio you just recorded. Condense the 2 tracks (backing track and guitar track) into one track.
3.Open your video editor of choice, add the video that you recorded of yourself playing guitar.
4.Add the audio track that you just made in audacity to the audio channel and save your video.

If all goes well you'll have a video of yourself playing guitar over the backing track. Make sure to back up the original files before editing them in audacity/whichever video editor you use.
DartS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Syndromed
French guy

I understood !! I tried, and it works ... I'm happy :O :O

Thank you very much guys !

Rate This Thread: