Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #121
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianoarnaiz
I agree with everything you say mate!!! Except on the fact that a pick up with a really strong magnetic field will affect the way a string vibrates. That's why there are different types of magnets in the pick up industry: e.g. alnico 2 produces a weak magnetic field so the string can vibrate more in its presence than in the presence of an alnico 5 pickup


Ahh of course, and even pickup height will effect the strength of the magnetic field on the strings. I over-simplified it and focused on the mechanics, but still, the effect of the wood and pickup's magnetic field could be superimposed to clarify.

Quote:
Finally, someone who uses logic that I can have a legitimate debate with. Be back here tomorrow, so we can finish this. I gotta do some homework!


You may have to do a fair bit of homework in vibrations theory, lol. marianoarnaiz is a geophysicist, and I'm a mechanical engineer (one of the areas I specialised in for my degree was vibrations). It is our area of expertise.

Matthew Angove's paper also hasn't been published, and the info on the news sites is virtually worthless so can't conclude much based on that info yet.

That being said, there are cases where the wood is more expensive for a purely aesthetic purpose. Take for example a PRS 10 top vs. a Standard Top. You probably will find that it sounds the same. Spending $200 extra on 5A quilt maple vs. a standard maple top for example will not change your tone noticeably; at the end of the day it's slightly different maple. Part of the expense and allure of a guitar is down to visual appeal.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #122
Revocati0n
Slammity slam
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
tone is ENTIRELY subjective.

Some people I've seen absolutely HATE the tone on Cannibal Corpse's "Kill". I however, enjoy the saturated high gain sound.


Its all about what YOU like. ****in n00bz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHurricaneGTR
i like to lick the lichen on the sticky stickers stuck on those who like licking lickers that like liking things.
Revocati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #123
Androidjoey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
STOP IGNORING ME! Different tone is just different frequencies put out. Let's say wood does make a difference. It wouldn't matter because you're completely changing the frequencies with all the knobs on your amp and pedals.

Sullinger can you just do us all a favor and stop being such a massive try hard and accept reality?
Androidjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #124
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidjoey
Sullinger can you just do us all a favor and stop being such a massive try hard and accept reality?


+1
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #125
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
 
nickdohle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
You cited a study that supposedly supported your claim. I pointed out why the study is incomplete and deeply flawed. Please give a response for why you believe the study is still valid. For example, you could find me the original abstract and tell me which peer-review journal reviewed it. I have not been able to find anything of this nature. If the study is not valid, or not sufficient to draw any conclusions from, then we're just back to your opinion versus the opinions of individuals like Suhr.

And wait, picks don't change tones? But... What about equal size picks made of different materials? Stone and glass picks? Or thick versus thin picks? The only thing that changes is the volume? >_<



We're richard dawkins and you're wendy wright.



HAHAHAHAHA. I laughed so hard at that video. I just wanted to smack that bitch.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #126
samuraigoomba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
HAHAHAHAHA. I laughed so hard at that video. I just wanted to smack that bitch.

There's 7 parts of that interview and her argument is the same in part 7 as in part 1. She does the "you have no evidence" dance for 90 minutes and ignores everything he says. I don't know how Dawkins was able to conduct that interview without tearing his hair out. :3
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #127
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
is this still going.

why is this happening.

of course it makes a ****ing difference.

is the op ******ed or something.

the string isn't ****ing vibrating in a vacuum.

anyone who has a 6th grade basic earth sciences class under their built should understand how force, sound, and energy waves work.

the string vibrates and sounds out waves that hit the surrounding areas. any waves that hit solid objects will either bounce back or be absorbed depending on the make up of the material.

whether the string vibrations are reinforced or canceled depends entirely on the largest resonant mass it has to pass through, which is the guitar wood.

so of course it matters. that's just science that even an idiot should be able to understand.

does that mean that a 10,000 guitar made from a super rare piece of wood is going to sound omfg amazing.

no of course not. that's common sense that even an idiot should be able to understand.

can this thread be done now.

edit: stupid addition for stupid inlays comment.

if my guitar has inlays on the third fret and not the first fret of course the third fret is going to sound different then the first fret. it's a different ****ing fret you monkey.

the proper question would have been, if you take two identical guitars except one has inlays and the other doesn't would they sound different.

1. of course you didn't phrase the question that way because you are an idiot

2. no of course not no two guitars are ****ing the same.

end.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Last edited by AcousticMirror : 11-15-2012 at 03:38 AM.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #128
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
There's 7 parts of that interview and her argument is the same in part 7 as in part 1. She does the "you have no evidence" dance for 90 minutes and ignores everything he says. I don't know how Dawkins was able to conduct that interview without tearing his hair out. :3

I'm watching it right now and raging hard. That bitch is freaking ridiculous, she spends most of the debate lying through her teeth!
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #129
Robfreitag
....
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Check this out for some evidence for wood effecting tone quality
http://www.jamesbisset.com/blog/gui...od-versus-alder
__________________
---
Robfreitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #130
rickyvanh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Understand this: I'm not saying wood doesn't change tone; it just doesn't matter when you're plugged in. The tone you hear from your amp is just pickups and pots. No two pickups are the same and the distance the pickup is from the strings makes a difference too.

Well, I really gotta do my homework. I'll be back for all of this tomorrow!

If you're using a sharp pencil,I hope you have your safety glasses on.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #131
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
lol. Love how he's like "IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE GUYZZ! Proove me wrong"

We're not the ones making the claim. You have the burden of providing proof and evidence. We've shown large amounts of proof as to why it does. Now it's your turn. And no half assed articles that some butt-hurt 50 year old dude having a mid life crisis wrote because his wife left him and now he spends all his money on guitars and polish for his Hummer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #132
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
That guy from YouTube talking about guitar tone has a video about why you should not have guitar heroes, he says they are just people and are nothing special. Froosh, Hendrix, Satch, Vai, set standards. They should be respected. Anyway, the guy's an idiot and I wouldn't be citing him as a reference for anything.

I like Black Sabbath. I can hear a difference between wood.

My friend has a MIA Strat with a lil 59 and we put it in his Mexican Strat and it sounded different. Not hugely but enough for him to like it in one over the other and for me to disagree and say it sounded better in the MIA, because I felt it sounded warmer, definitely warmer. Why is that? Because the MIA is made of Alder. He agreed but preferred the Mex tone for that pickup. That's just subjective but the difference in tone was apparent.

TS. You're being too dismissive of the scientist in the thread. The guy didn't create his username 10 years ago in preparation for this, also it would be quite the coincidence if there was another person with his name who has the same understanding of the subject matter he's talking about.

Your methods are childish and you're resorting to name calling. I don't think this thread is winnable for you. If it were me I'd be on damage control to try and get some respect back. I mean that in the best possible way. You've been too rude, too confrontational.

Google Chrome has a spell checker. You should use it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 11-15-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #133
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
There's 7 parts of that interview and her argument is the same in part 7 as in part 1. She does the "you have no evidence" dance for 90 minutes and ignores everything he says. I don't know how Dawkins was able to conduct that interview without tearing his hair out. :3


She didn't even give any of her own evidence though.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #134
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Also, mad irony that a religious person is asking us for evidence for something.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.