Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
MasterGuitar126

Wanting to go Solo... need advice

Hi. I'm looking to start getting gigs as a solo musician. I can sing and play guitar pretty decently. I have NEVER been in a band, and, aside from a Crate Tube Driven 70m an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar and a few effects, I got nothing. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to get to start performing at smaller venues like Bars and Restaurants and still keep the set up simple. I would be doing mostly cover songs.

And if you could list prices on the equipment you suggest it would be nice. But I only have a $2,000 dollar budget.

Thank you all in advance.
MasterGuitar126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Well it looks like the only thing you need is something to amplify your vocals, a PA.

If you wanted to get specific I would recommend:

- 3 Powered speakers (2 for fronts, 1 for foldback)
- Speaker stands
- A mixer with onboard efffects (at least for reverb)
- A decent vocal microphone (ideally a Beta 58 or Sennheisser e945)
- A DI for the acoustic guitar (I personally like the DBX DB12)
- A tuner pedal (because theyre awesome and handy)
- All necessary cabling for the above
Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
food1010
Bassist

Why have you never been in a band? Are you against the idea or have you just never gotten the chance? If it's the latter, I suggest jamming with some friends to see what it's like.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
MasterGuitar126

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Why have you never been in a band? Are you against the idea or have you just never gotten the chance? If it's the latter, I suggest jamming with some friends to see what it's like.

Being in a band is just not something I want to do. I enjoy playing with other people and such. I was offered to be in one once... But they all turned there back on me and went on doing there thing and leaving me in the cold.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
MasterGuitar126

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Well it looks like the only thing you need is something to amplify your vocals, a PA.

If you wanted to get specific I would recommend:

- 3 Powered speakers (2 for fronts, 1 for foldback)
- Speaker stands
- A mixer with onboard efffects (at least for reverb)
- A decent vocal microphone (ideally a Beta 58 or Sennheisser e945)
- A DI for the acoustic guitar (I personally like the DBX DB12)
- A tuner pedal (because theyre awesome and handy)
- All necessary cabling for the above

Thanks for the info. What is a DI used for though? And is a mixer the same as a variety of effects pedals or multi effects board?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

A DI changes the unbalanced output on for example your acoustic guitar to a balanced output. An active output also gives a boost in the signal strength from your acoustic guitar which is very weak.

A mixer at its most basic level takes in the signals from multiple sources (for example voice and guitar) and outputs it as a single signal which combines them to send to front of house, foldbacks and/or headphones, recording equipment etc. So you dont want just guitar going through the speakers, you want voice too, so a mixer combines them and you can change the levels to how you like. You can also apply effects if there's on board effects or external ones, eq individual channels, change the overall volume of the sound...lots of stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

i suggest going to local venues constantly. see what different acts/bands/groups are using for different things, hell if you're friends with some band people you might be able to get a good deal on some speakers or something when they upgrade

you don't wanna be the guy that's playing his first gig and ****s everything up, so work into the scene to understand the ins-and-outs so the stage isn't one of the first times you're in the environment

Last edited by Hail : 03-12-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Definitely go the used market if your looking for PA equipment, you can run through a $2000 budget very quickly.

And you'll get better quality to cost than if you tried to budget 2 grand for brand new gear.

You really only need a 4/6/8 channel mixer, what ever you can find cheapest. Speakers as already said, should be powered, this is so you do not need a separate amplifier to power those.

If you WERE going to buy something new, the DI might something to look into, the JDI MK3, is one of the standards as far as DI boxes go.

Also purchasing a microphone new might be worth it, if you can't find what you're looking for used. A Beta 58 would be my choice.

Both the microphone and DI are something you more than likely will have forever, both those I listed are built like tanks, and is why you may just want to invest in those straight up front and get them new. You can get both for around $375, but still explore the used market, there's always gems to be had.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: