Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Morbideathrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
How to write Death Metal/Extreme Metal Songs?

Hi there people! I'm opening this thread for everyone that needs help/Advices and wants to give some advices about Death Metal (and all kinds of its variations) writing.

In this times i was thinking about starting to write my first own songs, but i'm not feeling fully prepared for this, because personally i do not want to write simple and classical death metal songs, but i'm thinking to write more complex stuff, an death metal with a lot of influences, something like mixing Brutal death metal with prog death and melodeath (in other words, something like a fusion between krisiun and kataklism, but heavier, faster (Maybe using and drum machine like sarcofago 4th album: Hate.) and more progressive like death last albums). As you people can see, the kind of music that i wanna write is very particular and i wanna at least to try to make it unique because nowdays most of extreme metal bands are the same (even if they rocks).

Here i'm posting a link that i've found on wikihow, hope that this will be usefull to someone here.

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-Death-Metal

So that's the first request of advices of this thread Hope that someone can help me with this and that people will participate in this thread, anyone can post other questions about songwriting.That's all folks.
Morbideathrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
infinitenexus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I used to write/record thrash metal, then I evolved into somewhere between melodic death metal and straight up death metal. You can check my bandcamp in my sig and listen to both of my albums and see the change, from thrash to death. Basically, I started listening to a lot less thrash metal and a lot more death metal, and learned lots of death metal on the guitar. It kinda naturally came.

I think the best tips I can give for writing death metal are to practice death growls and learn proper technique, and to not be afraid of blast beats and the occasional bit of dissonance.

In terms of physical playing and songwriting, here were the main differences for me:
My thrash was tuned down to D standard or C#. My death metal is C standard or B.
Death growls vs thrash yells (obviously)
More varied tempos in death metal.
Often a bit more distortion in the guitar tone.
Blast beats in the drums.
While thrash lyrics are often aggressive, when I switched to death metal I pulled a lot of lyrical influence from chuck schuldiner and started writing lyrics about a broad variety of topics.

My two cents. Thrash metal and death metal aren't that fundamentally different, death metal is just a bit heavier and often a bit lower pitched, and the vocals are different. From there, you just have to evolve your own personal style.
__________________
Music For The Dead. Death, Black, Doom, Grind, and more.
infinitenexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
If you know what you want to write... then write it? What's the problem. We can't tell you how to express yourself musically?

And a lot of Death Metal bands play in E Standard and Eb Standard.

Tunings =/= a Genre.
__________________
ABSENT SKIES
FFO Counter Parts, Misery Signals


The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Morbideathrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus
I used to write/record thrash metal, then I evolved into somewhere between melodic death metal and straight up death metal. You can check my bandcamp in my sig and listen to both of my albums and see the change, from thrash to death. Basically, I started listening to a lot less thrash metal and a lot more death metal, and learned lots of death metal on the guitar. It kinda naturally came.

I think the best tips I can give for writing death metal are to practice death growls and learn proper technique, and to not be afraid of blast beats and the occasional bit of dissonance.

In terms of physical playing and songwriting, here were the main differences for me:
My thrash was tuned down to D standard or C#. My death metal is C standard or B.
Death growls vs thrash yells (obviously)
More varied tempos in death metal.
Often a bit more distortion in the guitar tone.
Blast beats in the drums.
While thrash lyrics are often aggressive, when I switched to death metal I pulled a lot of lyrical influence from chuck schuldiner and started writing lyrics about a broad variety of topics.

My two cents. Thrash metal and death metal aren't that fundamentally different, death metal is just a bit heavier and often a bit lower pitched, and the vocals are different. From there, you just have to evolve your own personal style.


Thanks a lot for your help man! I also started with thrash metal and then evolved to Death metal, nowdays i'm listening a lot to krisiun and dying fetus, they're awesome bands eheh One of my main influences are Morbid Angel, i would like to use a guitar tuning like azagthot uses in God of Emptiness Track or a guitar tuning like krisiun uses in their first album, something very dark and evil, here an example:




I would like something like this sound

Other good influences are these:



This mix between brutal death and melodeath is awsome, i love melody in death metal songs but mixing it with brutality is genious!

even epic black metal is good stuff:



This is my idea of music style, i know that maybe this is very weird and maybe it will not work, but i would like to try Something like Brutal blackned epic brutal prog melodeath

I would be very greatfull if you can say what kind of guitar tune uses krisiun and morbid angel on covenant album And i'm open to any kind of advices now that i explained you better my point of view about the kind of music that i wanna (try) to write.

Anyway, i listened to your band, very good stuff man I have and facebook group which serves for supporting underground metal bands acts, take a look when you can and if you wish you can share your music with us by posting them there, here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/metalsupportattack/ you have only to send me a request if you wanna participate.

So that's all, i'm waiting for your reply, see ya

Ps: Sorry for my english, but it is not my main language, i'm Italian

Last edited by Morbideathrash : 10-04-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Morbideathrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Morbideathrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
If you know what you want to write... then write it? What's the problem. We can't tell you how to express yourself musically?

And a lot of Death Metal bands play in E Standard and Eb Standard.

Tunings =/= a Genre.


This thread is about advices too, people can still give advices to someone even if that person know what he gonna write no?
Morbideathrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Well... this entire subforum is kinda about techniques... I don't understand why we'd need a specific thread for this kinda thing.
__________________
ABSENT SKIES
FFO Counter Parts, Misery Signals


The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Morbideathrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Well... this entire subforum is kinda about techniques... I don't understand why we'd need a specific thread for this kinda thing.



Well, because this sub-forum is about ALL genres of music, and this thread is specific for death and extreme metal, get it? If you have some advice or help to give about the thread discussion you're welcome otherwise ignore it and don't post anything, because your posts are useless right now.
__________________
HAIL THE TERROR MACHINE!!!
Morbideathrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
zooloo99
Purveyor Of Fine Riffs
 
zooloo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Most used amp settings are: -gain: 10 treble:10 middle:0 bass:10 (makes the chunky stuff heavyer yet screams harmonics) -gain: 10 treble:0 middle:10 bass:0 (gives less noise in the sound and still responsive to the harmonics, perfect to keep the solos tidy) Suggested pedals: -Distortion (riffing): Digitech DEATHMETAL, Behringer WD300, Behringer HD300, MXR 78 Custom Badass, BOSS MD-2, BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone


Wow, that WikiHow article sure has an experienced author at the helm!

Sarcasm aside, one thing that I see too many bands nowadays fall into the trap of, is pigeon-holing your band. Genre tags are there simply as a way of stores being able to group your music with similar music on the shelf.

Tune as high up or as low as you want, but don't feel that it's not 'death metal' to be in standard, I mean, Opeth did it; right?

As for the actual writing aspect of it, I think that extreme metal follows the same process of writing as any other genre, really. I personally write songs by either thinking up a theme, or drawing one from the music and exploring what I want to say with the music.

Lyrics, for a lot of people are hard, but it's just a matter of practice and inspiration. Make the most of what you have, and really think about what you really want to say. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but you don't always have to growl or scream, in fact, you stand out more nowadays if you don't.


Anyway, take my advice for what it is, or discard it, I don't care. Just find something that works for you, and keep it brutal \m/

EDIT: Oh man, I seem to be bumping an old thread, sorry about that.
zooloo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.