Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
HammerParty

Jet City JCA22h vs JCA50h

Since the 50watt is only a $100 more I've considered this. I've looked through a huge array of amps and have made a thread about it in the past. So my last thing to ask is, which one of these would be better for what I want to achieve?

The reason I'm considering the jca50h is that the jca22 has a crunch/overdrive channel vs the jca50 which has a normal (clean) and overdrive channel. Also the 50 would have more headroom. The things I want one of these to achieve is, play at low volume enough since I live in an apartment and have a decent amount of clean headroom. Has anyone used both / compared? I tried to search / google the answer, so now I will ask.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

JCA50 if you want independent channels.

Though you could just get the 22 and roll the volume off the guitar when you want to clean it up. I don't know what sort of sounds you want to achieve. What's your budget? Are you going to buy new or used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
HammerParty

I've went through the whole budget thing and many amps. I've narrowed it down to this. I made a few threads previously.

I'd like to get a sterile clean out of either of these heads, also the 22h has two channels as well. Not fender clean, but warm with no breakup if possible.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i haven't tried the 22 but i'd probably get the 50 for all the difference there is in price. most people prefer the sound of the big power tubes for harder/heavier tones, you get a tighter bass, and you get more headroom on the cleans (and the clean channel isn't really a clean channel, more "cleanish to crunch"). plus it's not like 22 watts is quiet, you crank that thing up in an appartment and you'll get into as much trouble (more or less) as cranking up the 50 watt version, lol.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
I'd like to get a sterile clean out of either of these heads, also the 22h has two channels as well. Not fender clean, but warm with no breakup if possible.
I owned the JCA100H and it was my favorite amp I've owned yet. Even on the big 100W power section a sterile clean wasn't going to happen. If you kept the preamp very low and dialed the guitar's volume back you could get an acceptable clean but it almost always had some degree of breakup. Also with such a low preamp setting it didn't have much dynamics or dimension to the tone.

With these amps you're getting a light/medium crunch channel, and a balls out channel. You can get a mostly clean tone from it though, but it sounds stiff.

EDIT: I have played a JCA20H, which is the crunch channel from the 22. It didn't have much headroom at all. May I ask what styles you hope to achieve with this amp? It's no 5150, but it's definitely more aggressive than a Classic 30
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 01-31-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
ChrisBW

I think the clean channel on my 50W is awesome. I can bring the gain up to about two and it's still clean. I retubed with TAD and they're great, allowed me a bit more clean on the rhythm channel and less noise on the lead channel.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
HammerParty

My styles are all over. But I do love the second channel these amps offer. Only thing left to ask is, will the 50w be capable of being quiet enough for an apartment with the master?

Last edited by HammerParty : 01-31-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Go with the 50watt.

I've played both, and liked the 50watt more. The 50H has 6l6's, vs the 22h having EL34's. So its more american sounding vs british sounding.

Both amps sound great, but if you want better cleans at higher levels, go with the 50.

EDIT: BTW... I figured I should mention that JC now stock covers for all amps. There not up on the site yet, but I was talking to Douglas, and got a cover for my JCA50H for $39. Just thought I'd put that out there for anyone interested
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115

Last edited by red.guitar : 02-01-2013 at 12:08 AM.
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
HammerParty

Thanks for the information. It'll mostly be played in my apartment at low volumes, but being that the 50w has that much more headroom I'll gig with it a bit as well. Will it work with the low volume? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

It'll work at low volume, but it sounds heaps better cranked up. It becomes a different beast around noon on the master. If you plan to use it for primarily quiet playing I would highly recommend doing the depth knob mod to it.

There used to be a thread at Harmony Central with all sorts of mods for these amps, but they just updated their site and I can't find it. It was called the Jet Setters or something like that.
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
HammerParty

Thanks for the suggestion. Even more research to do hahaa, but it's all for the good.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Here is the thread flux'd is talking about. There is also one on HC.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1346646
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
I owned the JCA100H and it was my favorite amp I've owned yet. Even on the big 100W power section a sterile clean wasn't going to happen. If you kept the preamp very low and dialed the guitar's volume back you could get an acceptable clean but it almost always had some degree of breakup. Also with such a low preamp setting it didn't have much dynamics or dimension to the tone.

With these amps you're getting a light/medium crunch channel, and a balls out channel. You can get a mostly clean tone from it though, but it sounds stiff.

yeah my 50 is the same.

i'm actually starting to like the clean(ish) tones from it, though. But yeah it's not really a clean clean, it's like a crunch channel and a high gain channel.

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
My styles are all over. But I do love the second channel these amps offer. Only thing left to ask is, will the 50w be capable of being quiet enough for an apartment with the master?

probably. whether it sounds any good at that volume is the thing, though. that's pretty much into personal preference territory. I only play at home and i really like the 50 watter even at those volumes... but i'm not really playing at appartment-friendly volumes, either.

er....

Quote:

Rate This Thread: