Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #2021
mevans1995

Hey , could you possible find the eq setting for chris shiflett of the foo fighters

I have a marshall JCM200 DSL100

mevans1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #2022
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ I can't imagine you would have any trouble with that amp.

What are you not getting out of it exactly? What guitar are you using? No pedals right? Just the guitar into the amp I would seriously put all the amp controls on 12 noon (including the gain). Then put the Master Volume on 9 am or so. Maybe pull back the mids just a bit but it should be pretty easy to dial in.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #2023
Spyrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I see.

Well, COSM is just software developed by Roland to emulate certain guitar/amp tones and there are no tubes so it is definitely not a hybrid amp. An amp 'voice' is often used to describe an American amp tone or a British amp tone. The American amp tone was built around Fender and then Mesa. These amps typically emphasize a lot of low end and high end (Bass and Treble). The British amp tone was built around Vox and Marshall and these amps emphasized a lot of mids and often had more cut and buzz. Old school punk and the British Invasion would characterize these tones well.

Voicing options on an amp can also be things like bright, dark, deep, mid cut, etc.

Jazz as a genre is an American creation.

So see if that helps. Does your amp have a 'Fender' amp model?

I got rid of the Roland amp. after a few days I found it cold and sterile. In a few days a new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe arrives. I hope I will be happier with the sound.
Spyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #2024
patrickdiddlyd

Anybody know the effects used in The Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother? I know they use the small stone effect but what other effects can i use to imitate or sound similar to that sound? I have a Marshall Mg30CFX, Zoom G3 and a Gibson Les paul.
patrickdiddlyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #2025
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

How did I miss this thread? Good stuff!
Dimarzio45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #2026
bboyjure

Hey Guys
I got Randall rh200sc g2 amp, Ibanez Xpt guitar and now i bought Korg ax1500g multieffect and i dont know how to get a Heavy metal sound (like Iron Maiden and that stuff) OR Thrash metal (Like metallica and that stuff) sound. Please help me with all that Drive-amp and cabinet things and other settings. If you could help me find a sound for heavy and Thrash metal and that stuff i would be most obliged.
Tnx
bboyjure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #2027
Leonid Vilkov

I got a nice modern rock setting using my Marshall MG and Roland Cube amps and an Epiphone SG.

Bass:2 or 3
Mid:7 or 8
Treble:5 or 6
Gain:5 or 6

Just something basic. For me it works for all styles of music. It's heavy and bright and it works well with rock music. You can play thrash with it too if you turn up the bass to a 4 or 5. Maybe add a bit more treble if you want more highs.

Last edited by Leonid Vilkov : 04-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Leonid Vilkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #2028
MusicMan24
UG's Guy Fawkes

I need a Jim Root/Stone Sour or Five Finger Death Punch setting

I'm playing through a Peavey 6505 and a Boss MT-2 (Don't be dissing on my pedal, I love it), I've been trying and trying (Came close a few times) but alas...I can't succeed

CHIGBCHCBAL
MusicMan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #2029
Leonid Vilkov

I would suggest keeping your bass around a 5 or 4. Turn up your mids to a 6 or 7. Maybe 8 then slowly adjust the treble around a 4, 5, or 6. Gain will depend on how much distortion you want but I would just keep the gain at a 5.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #2030
emil_roh

I'm doing a cover of Laid to Rest by Lamb of God, and I want to get a good tone for the lead guitar behind the spoken word part ("If there was a singe day I could live..."). So I found a video sample from Jammit (If you don't know what Jammit is, look it up! ):

What is really going on here? I know they use Mesa Mark IV's for their tone, but do you guys think they're using any effects in that particular part? Also, it would be nice if someone posted some EQ suggestions for this part (with presence too). The amp I'm using is a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo with the speaker swapped to a V30. I'm boosting with Maxon OD808.
emil_roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #2031
Leonid Vilkov

Raise your mid and treble. Not too high though. Lower the bass a lot. Don't touch the gain or presence. Leave them at the middle. I've played that song in and out for almost 5 years. The tone is stuck in my head. If you're going to do rhythm, don't raise the bass anywhere above 5. Maybe the tone (for the lead) has to do with where you're playing the frets. That part is played somewhere around the 12th fret on the D string. And make sure you're in Drop D (you probably already know that, but just a precaution). That's my tip.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #2032
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Trying to get a decent tone for either 80's type of metal or Extreme Metal (Melodic Death Metal) out of a Krank Rev 1 and a Bad Monkey.

Have Blackouts in my guitar and I can't really find anything usuable. Bit lifeless, so help plox!
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #2033
Leonid Vilkov

Very similar to one of my above posts. Raise your mids, don't move your bass past 5, and slowly adjust your treble around the halfway mark. If you feel you need more of a punch, raise the treble and gain. Don't raise the gain too much though. You'll get unwanted frequencies unless you really wanna add some noise. And when I mean noise, I'm referring to grindcore stuff. And I don't think you want that in melodic death metal or 80's metal.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #2034
MusicMan24
UG's Guy Fawkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Vilkov
I would suggest keeping your bass around a 5 or 4. Turn up your mids to a 6 or 7. Maybe 8 then slowly adjust the treble around a 4, 5, or 6. Gain will depend on how much distortion you want but I would just keep the gain at a 5.

That's pretty close. Sounds really good.

I also got a good Disturbed/Dan Donegan sound:

Gain: 10
Bass: 4
Mid: 3
High: 10
Presence: 9

Haven't seen one for him since I've been looking through this thread

CHIGBCHCBAL
MusicMan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #2035
Leonid Vilkov

Nice. Don't turn down those mids though. That'll cut your guitar out of the mix. Very guitarist should know that. Never turn down the mids. Mids always go up but not too much, depending on your amp. Especially when playing live. Never turn the gain up either. You'll just get unwanted frequencies, unless your amp doesn't pack a lot of distortion (in which case turn up the gain). Bass should never go past 5 or 6 unless you really want a muddy sound. Same for treble. If it goes up too high, it'll make a lot of ear piercing sounds, like when your 7 year old daughter screeches in your ear or when you scrape something against a chalk board real hard (you get the idea). But more treble gives it a better punch. So the amount of treble you want is up to you. Just follow those basic rules. You're on the right track with what you're doing. Just use your ears and play with the music. Just follow all those small basic rules and you're gucci.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #2036
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Thanks for all that you are doing to try to help. This thread is pretty much a dead end without people like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan24
Haven't seen one for him since I've been looking through this thread

You probably won't either as posting settings are somewhat pointless.

Why? Because everyone's rig/environment is different.

Don't get me wrong, we are thankful for all the postings in the OP's and we are glad that they have helped people but the real help comes from people like Leonid who take the time to try to give individual advice based on a persons gear/needs.

We have been discussing creating a new Ultimate Settings thread that may help in this area.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #2037
Leonid Vilkov

Please do create that thread. I will contribute anything I have to it. Especially for those who are looking for hardcore/metalcore settings (the original and older bands I mean).

Rate This Thread: