Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Wiring confusion

I want to change the wiring in my Jackson KE3 Kelly. It has one volume pot, and a 3-way selector, and I'm keeping the pickups. What I want, is a volume pot for each pickup, so I've gone for getting a stacked pot. (http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-s...ic-p-15687.html)

I'm not 100% if this is the correct size, metric or CTS. I believe it should be as the guitar currently has stock electronics and is MIJ. My other problem is how to wire it. It currently goes like this: Bridge pickup to back side of pickup switch, neck pickup to front side of switch. (This is looking from the back routing, not the top of guitar) Middle portion of switch goes to one lug of volume pot, and another lug goes to the output jack. What doesn't make sense to me there is the switch positioning. Putting the switch to the back makes connection only to front side (closest to volume pot) of two connections, and vice versa, where the middle makes connection to both sides. But the pickups themselves are wired opposite to this, yet still select the correct pickup. I dunno.

The other thing I'm confused on is how I'd wire up two volume pots (and which set of three lugs is top or bottom of stacked pot) with the selector switch. Would I go as it is now, except now wire the pickup selector to individual volume pots, and have both volume pots go to output jack; or would I wire the pickups to their individual volume pots, then to the pickup selector, and from selector to output jack?

Cheers for any and all help on this matter. Just wanna clarify that I'd rather get a stacked pot than to drill a new hole, and be severely restricted to how much space I have on each of two volumes (there wouldn't be much).
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
 
Phoenix V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Before we continue, your definition of a stacked pot is what?

There are ganged pots and concentric pots.

Ganged pots use two pots in one chassis, but have one overall control shaft that controls both pots at the same time, so both pots turn equal amounts. This means when you select one of the two pots for a pickup and adjust it, the other pickup will adjust also.

Concentric pots have two pots and two shafts, but the shafts are arranged so that one pot control shaft forms an outer shaft ring and one forms the inner shaft ring, concentrically. So you still only need one mount hole. You can adjust each pot independantly of the other, but your controls need an inner turning knob and outer turning ring to make this work.
__________________
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light bulb. One to change the light bulb and 99 to stand around pointing and say..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Stacked Concentric is what I'm looking at then. Two individual volume pots, one for each pickup, that are to be used individually, but mounted into one hole, rather than two separate pots in separate chassis.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
 
Phoenix V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Stacked Concentric is what I'm looking at then. Two individual volume pots, one for each pickup, that are to be used individually, but mounted into one hole, rather than two separate pots in separate chassis.



You want this then.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light bulb. One to change the light bulb and 99 to stand around pointing and say..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 01-05-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Aha, thank you! So volume comes before switch in this case. I shall try it, and hope for the best
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Aha, thank you! So volume comes before switch in this case. I shall try it, and hope for the best


Yes, if you put the pots after the switch, you wouldn't have independent volume controls.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
Yes, if you put the pots after the switch, you wouldn't have independent volume controls.

It makes sense when said like that, but I couldn't see before.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Just an update.. I bought the pot that I linked in the first post, it seems to be a dual blend pot. Both of the two controls on the stacked pot have a notch in the middle, like my Ibanez SR300 bass has where active bass and treble can be boosted or reduced. I'm sure this isn't the correct type of stacked control for doing standard volume for the pickups. Have I bought a product that is different to what is listed, or is it the wrong type of pot in the first place?
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Just an update.. I bought the pot that I linked in the first post, it seems to be a dual blend pot. Both of the two controls on the stacked pot have a notch in the middle, like my Ibanez SR300 bass has where active bass and treble can be boosted or reduced. I'm sure this isn't the correct type of stacked control for doing standard volume for the pickups. Have I bought a product that is different to what is listed, or is it the wrong type of pot in the first place?


Sounds like you got a non concentric pot, they sent you a dual ganged pot with a center detent.

The one in your link looked correct, the picture is even of a concentric pot.

Are there part number markings that you can look up? They might have just made a mistake with your shipment.

Last edited by earthwormjim : 01-09-2013 at 04:04 AM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
 
Phoenix V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
What you got doesn't sound like what you ordered.
__________________
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light bulb. One to change the light bulb and 99 to stand around pointing and say..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 01-10-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
Sounds like you got a non concentric pot, they sent you a dual ganged pot with a center detent.

The one in your link looked correct, the picture is even of a concentric pot.

Are there part number markings that you can look up? They might have just made a mistake with your shipment.

It can't be a dual ganged pot, as it has 6 lugs, where a single ganged pot also has 6 lugs. I think? It has what looks like someone who wrote "A500" on it, without quotation marks. There's also a scribble after it, without a space which could be a k indicating that it's an audio taper 500k pot. It looks exactly as advertised on the website, could take a picture but there's no point as it's exactly as is on website.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #12
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
It can't be a dual ganged pot, as it has 6 lugs, where a single ganged pot also has 6 lugs. I think? It has what looks like someone who wrote "A500" on it, without quotation marks. There's also a scribble after it, without a space which could be a k indicating that it's an audio taper 500k pot. It looks exactly as advertised on the website, could take a picture but there's no point as it's exactly as is on website.


I missread your description. You're right it does match.


The center notch might just be a half way point on the taper. If you have a multi-meter you could quickly answer your question about whether or not you can use that pot.

Last edited by earthwormjim : 01-10-2013 at 04:32 AM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
 
Phoenix V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Upto

I tried looking again but theres no where on the description page on the website that suggests the pots have a centre detent.
__________________
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light bulb. One to change the light bulb and 99 to stand around pointing and say..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix V
I tried looking again but theres no where on the description page on the website that suggests the pots have a centre detent.

I noticed this too, but having bought various things from the website before (and always getting what I ordered), I noticed they don't seem to put a lot of description into much of what they sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
The center notch might just be a half way point on the taper. If you have a multi-meter you could quickly answer your question about whether or not you can use that pot.

What setting on a multi-meter would I use? Ohms? Volts? Not sure on this one..
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
I noticed this too, but having bought various things from the website before (and always getting what I ordered), I noticed they don't seem to put a lot of description into much of what they sell.


What setting on a multi-meter would I use? Ohms? Volts? Not sure on this one..


Ohms. You want to measure resistance. Put one probe on the wiper (center lug) and the other probe on either of the two outer lugs. Do this for each of the pots, and watch the resistance as you turn the knob.

It's audio taper (supposedly), so you'll either see a huge change when you first start, then a slow change after, or the opposite depending on which outer lug you're probing.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast
 
Lavatain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Got a multimeter to it, it's definitely a stacked logarithmic pot. Both pots go to about 80k at the halfway notch, and 500k(ish) at the full mark. Why it has a detent in the middle is beyond me, and that the website didn't say anything either.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #17
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Got a multimeter to it, it's definitely a stacked logarithmic pot. Both pots go to about 80k at the halfway notch, and 500k(ish) at the full mark. Why it has a detent in the middle is beyond me, and that the website didn't say anything either.


It's a little odd to have a center detent on an audio taper pot. You usually don't particularly care about being exactly half way on a volume pot.

There's probably fairly relaxed tolerances as far as restance at the detent , but it's just a little bit more than 10% (80k) of the max value. To get a doubling of volume, you need a 10 times increase in air pressure, hence log pots. 10% is 10 times less in value than max, so half as loud to the human ear. Used as a volume pot, the center detent will sound about half way turned up (weird isn't it?).
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.