Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus

Listening to Will You Now. I really liked the synth leads you got going on, they sound nice. I don't particularly for the vocals on this track though. You got too much reverb on them or something for my taste. The solo was a tad interesting, brought a good change of pace. Not too bad of a song
New Album Melancholic
LIKE MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/MockOffMusic
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
Splitvision

Hey this is pretty cool Nice to see this musical genre represented here.

"Will you now" is very catchy and 80ies-bouncy in a good way. I thought the vocals maybe had a little too much effects and were, to use a word I saw someone else use in a post above mine, a bit "pitchy". But apart from that I really digged it!

"Quite A Lot" reminded me more of a less minimalistic Kraftwerk. I loved it.

Again great to see/hear this type of music here! Keep it coming!

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...t=mahogany+vibe
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
JayCartay

Man I dig the synths and other sounds you use. I would love to be able to do some of that stuff. Good job
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #24
shortyafter

Jay Cartay stole the words from me. That synth is NASTY. I'm not even gonna beat around the bush dude, the song is sick. Professional quality stuff. Great art. I really dig it. Listened to Will You Now first but the previous applies to both. Quite a Lot - great melody, trippy dude. I could hear it in a movie.

Very nice stuff man pleasure to listen to. Looking forward to hearing more. I dig whatcha got goin on man it's unique.

edit: oh there's more on there, arab spies in spain noice
shortyafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
The Revival

Hey Aaron, good job there. I dug how you could build up into the beat on both of them. The synth part at 2:12 in Will You Now was cool, and I liked some of the atmospheric layering in quite a lot.
The Revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Will You Now - Again I hear Depeche Mode man, it's got a great strong beat, harrowing vocals and I like the breakdown at the 2.20 mark. The bass is low and dirty - great production. I can only say keep up the good work - maybe some handclaps? I just love me some handclaps though so that's hardly crit lol

Quite A Lot - same as before. I like the ambient backing vocals, I picture this in a film, black and white. I know I asked this previously, but reminded me, it was an Audio Technica Mic which you double track with for your vocals right?

Great work man, please add me and my band on soundcloud. Both links in my sig (Mr Jingles is my band, would love your thoughts on those tracks)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
aaron aardvark

Rokkstar, paidepk, tottsk1, Jehannum, Joshua1207, Splitvision, JayCartay, shortyafter, The Revival, rocknrollstar,

Thank you for the reviews, I appreciate it! On every song on my website with male vocals (there are just a few with female vocals), it is me singing into a Audio-Technica PR335 Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone (from 1994). These two songs don't have double-tracked vocals, just lots of effects (like delay). The ambient backing vocals on "Quite A Lot" are synth: Korg TR-Rack, as is everything else instrumentally in the song (and in "Will You Now" also).
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
Rokkstar, paidepk, tottsk1, Jehannum, Joshua1207, Splitvision, JayCartay, shortyafter, The Revival, rocknrollstar,

Thank you for the reviews, I appreciate it! On every song on my website with male vocals (there are just a few with female vocals), it is me singing into a Audio-Technica PR335 Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone (from 1994). These two songs don't have double-tracked vocals, just lots of effects (like delay). The ambient backing vocals on "Quite A Lot" are synth: Korg TR-Rack, as is everything else instrumentally in the song (and in "Will You Now" also).

Such a great sound man, I wish I had the patience to create more electronic stuff - there's so much you can do. You've definitely got your own sound man, nice to hear you again
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
archtek

Will you know - Crazy intersting start, pianos sound great. Absolutely genius transition. Like the extreme 'verb or delay on the vocals. Strangly addictive to listen to you the more I hear the more im hooked in. Great trumpet style synth thing change after what i thinks the main verse. Great drop out and amazing old school synth sound. I've critted your stuff in the past and you've gotten extemely good now, well impressed great work, loads of hooks and different style fusions.

Quite a lot - the start seems quite minimalist, I like the sci fi lazer sound, maybe it happens to regularly so it looses it's impact, it kinda of jumps out of the mix and overrides other things going on in the background. If you made them less often and had them happen sporadicly would add another layer of interest, but it kinda detracts from the rest of the song. Great style and great track none the less.
archtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Liked the synths and the vocals, production quality was tight as well. I did feel like I was collecting golden rings in the Emerald Hills.
STONESHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
the_weirdoman

Cheked out both the tracks.....Stuff reminds me of a crossover between Depeche Mode and a bit of Manson and Radiohead (I'm not that big into electronica) Overall pretty trippy but I think it should be a lil more bass heavy.
the_weirdoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #32
Drummerrrrr?
Howdy, howdy, howdy

Will You Know
First though is there isn't enough top end presence in the synths. Vocals are crazy! Haha, in a good way. Could do with utilising the stereo space a bit more with the percussion. What'd you use for that grungy bass sound?

www.lachlancresswell.com
Drummerrrrr? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #33
aaron aardvark

archtek, STONESHAKER, the_weirdoman, Drummerrrr?,

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate it! For "Will You Now" and "Quite A Lot", everything instrumental (including the drums) is Korg TR-Rack (the rack mount version of the Trinity keyboard synth).
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
Tomaz24

Will You Know: not my sort of music so not sure how helpful I can be, but I like the tone a lot and the track definitely progresses at the right time. Interesting vocals, definitely work well, might consider spreading some of the tracks out a bit - they all seem a bit congested in the middle space, but just a small thing. Overall really good stuff!

Quite a Lot: I prefer this one, like the percussive effects and the synth chords. Nice vocals again. It's got quite a retro-ish vive, agree about the GTA vibe that Jehannum mentioned! Overall I wouldn't change much at all, maybe it's just missing the one real instrument track to add the finishing touch?

Thanks for the crit on my piece.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #35
Imraotnh

Will you now: You have some very good riffs but what makes the song interesting is the vocals. They are great and memorable. I'm not into this kind of music at all but I like it!

Quite a lot: the better one (at least for me). I like the dreamy atmosphere. However I feel that "normal" vocals will suit the song better. Everything else is good.
Imraotnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
Dregen
andy, you're a star

sorry for taking so long to crit. been busy lately.

listened to Will You Now. it didn't interest me really, not that i didn't like it, it's just i'm not in that mood so to speak. i'm almost sure it would sound way different to me stoned, it's kind of trippy in a certain way, a lot of it due to the vocals (veeeerrrby as helll). weird but nice, definitely sounds different. the synth parts were cool too, and the effects and everything were pretty well done. the mix is pretty decent too. but the vocals kind of made this for me. they were used sparingly but it worked better that way i think.
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: