Old 07-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #2202
Jammydude44
Bad Santa

Noice one son.
Jammydude44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #2203
bluesybilly
Worlds Biggest Douche

Dang, I missed the S&L Reunion! I never posted much but poems back in the day (something about being a cocky little shit of a teenager will do that to you). But here is my belated thank you to everyone for everything and all the advice that I never seemed to listen to because, well, when I was 18 I was pretty much the best poet in history and nobody could tell me different. Haha. but anyways thanks everyone for all the support and critiques throughout the years. I my not have posted all the time back then, but I remember logging on each night to check out what you guys were posting (and see if Matt, Jimmy, Zach, pixiesfanyo, Less_than_that etc had posted anything or commented on one of my pieces. haha) It was always an honor when you guys appreciated my work, and it still is, because I respect the hell out of yours. Sorry for the rambling, I should go to bed.

With Love,
Grant

Last edited by bluesybilly : 07-20-2015 at 11:02 PM.
bluesybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #2204
Bleed Away
th.

S&L made everyone a better writer, including me.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #2205
rtfk101
Blanned

hey everyone, i dont post here in this section often but i was wondering if you guys could help me. im writing a song, have all the music put together, etc. no lyrics so far but the line "its the test we always meant to fail" keeps popping into my head regarding it. i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out possible directions i could take it with that line making sense, if you know what i mean. anyone?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
rtfk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #2206
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

I read that line and my mind automatically goes to a religious bend (that's just me though).

I would probably change it slightly like "The test we WERE always meant to fail" and it might have something to do with how we are all born with original sin and how God cant absolve us if we don't absolve ourselves.

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #2207
rtfk101
Blanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Swick
I read that line and my mind automatically goes to a religious bend (that's just me though).

I would probably change it slightly like "The test we WERE always meant to fail" and it might have something to do with how we are all born with original sin and how God cant absolve us if we don't absolve ourselves.

i kinda see what you mean, but i am not religious, in fact im the opposite. but i understand the energy you perceive behind it, i want to channel it in a positive direction towards life, not towards a way of thinking, religious or otherwise.

or alternatively, admitting that we as humans dont know whats best for ourselves, and that fact in itself is part of being human. i just thought of this snippet right now, critique away

"its the chance to renew a lifetime
its the best we can do for our lives, but
its the test we always meant to fail"
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Last edited by rtfk101 : 07-29-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #2208
Harvey Swick

Yeah, Im not religious either. I just tend to write stuff that has a religious bend.
I can definitely see another way to put it in the terms you put it in. For isntance, a lot of people these days are children of broken marriages. maybe your line "the test we always meant to fail" was the test our (speaking as a child from a broken marriage) parents took and passed. We didnt want to be like them, make the mistakes they made, so we always meant to fail the "test of adulthood"

Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #2209
rtfk101
Blanned

Quote:
Yeah, Im not religious either. I just tend to write stuff that has a religious bend.
I can definitely see another way to put it in the terms you put it in. For isntance, a lot of people these days are children of broken marriages. maybe your line "the test we always meant to fail" was the test our (speaking as a child from a broken marriage) parents took and passed. We didnt want to be like them, make the mistakes they made, so we always meant to fail the "test of adulthood"

(edited my post before i saw your response)

i can understand that interpretation as well. im not from a broken family but i could similarly relate it to broken friendships and relationships from the past... i like where you take it
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Old 07-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #2210
Harvey Swick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfk101
or alternatively, admitting that we as humans dont know whats best for ourselves, and that fact in itself is part of being human. i just thought of this snippet right now, critique away

"its the chance to renew a lifetime
its the best we can do for our lives, but
its the test we always meant to fail"

This is kinda what I was getting at, and I really like those next couple lines you wrote. Hash it out, man I think you got something rolling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfk101

i can understand that interpretation as well. im not from a broken family but i could similarly relate it to broken friendships and relationships from the past... i like where you take it

Thanks for appreciating my broken mind! Glad someone does. But we cant gain anything without a bit of strife, eh? Otherwise it wouldnt be worth it.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #2211
rtfk101
Blanned

let me pick your brain again. ive been thinking about it and i dont think thats the direction i want to go with it. i want it to be "its the test we always meant to fail" as in we CHOSE to fail, not like we were destined to.

my first interpretation goes to something like addiction, but that seems too easy of a direction. what do you think?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #2212
Harvey Swick

If your first interpretation is addiction, I say go for it. If it seems too easy, just write it out and keep writing until you can filter it into something that you want. A lot of the time I will write a piece and not enjoy it at all and think its nothing special but then I can come back sometime later and get a better idea of what I was trying to write. Or I will write and write a piece and make it super long for no reason and come back later and pick out the parts I think are worthwhile and meaningful. My point is that sometimes a piece of writing will "mature" (or maybe it is the writer who matures ) and that can take time.

My advice would be to write about what you know, write about what youre passionate about, and follow your muse. Sometimes doing those things can lead us into very unexpected places and it can be something wonderful or something dark and scary. That's just, like, my opinion though, mang.

I always felt like the test I always meant to fail was conformity. "you laugh because Im different and I laugh because youre all the same" type of deal. Again, those are just my random thoughts when I read your line. I remember it was always very important to me to prove that I was different, or to prove that I wasn't what everyone wanted me to be.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #2213
rtfk101
Blanned

Quote:
If your first interpretation is addiction, I say go for it. If it seems too easy, just write it out and keep writing until you can filter it into something that you want. A lot of the time I will write a piece and not enjoy it at all and think its nothing special but then I can come back sometime later and get a better idea of what I was trying to write. Or I will write and write a piece and make it super long for no reason and come back later and pick out the parts I think are worthwhile and meaningful. My point is that sometimes a piece of writing will "mature" (or maybe it is the writer who matures ) and that can take time.

My advice would be to write about what you know, write about what youre passionate about, and follow your muse. Sometimes doing those things can lead us into very unexpected places and it can be something wonderful or something dark and scary. That's just, like, my opinion though, mang.

I always felt like the test I always meant to fail was conformity. "you laugh because Im different and I laugh because youre all the same" type of deal. Again, those are just my random thoughts when I read your line. I remember it was always very important to me to prove that I was different, or to prove that I wasn't what everyone wanted me to be.

yeah ive been sitting on this one a long time though...long enough to think up guitar bass and drum parts....shit i can even tell you if its ever on an album, its gonna be the intro. but im ****ed if you ask me what its about lol

i like what you said about conformity. i might run with that a little. i just wish it was easier to answer the question "what would someone intentionally fail at doing?"
i kinda want the song to be about love/relationships in a way but that just makes the question harder to answer
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Last edited by rtfk101 : 07-31-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #2214
Harvey Swick

I have known quite a few individuals who didn't have the balls to breakup with their gfs/bfs. Most of the time they just treated the girl/guy like shit until they left of their own accord. You could say they intentionally failed at their relationships.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:39 AM   #2215
HUMANOW1001

Quote:
[b]
HUMANOW1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #2216
culex-knight
mon titre d'utilisateur

I spent most of last night programming and re-reading every writing of the month. You guys are fantastic.
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching
culex-knight is offline   Reply With Quote