Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
acousticslave

Pursuing mathcore/math rock guitar.

Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for just shy of four years.

I think I'm decent...to an extent, anyway. I'm musically literate and majored in classical guitar performance for a semester in college, it got too intense with the theory and aural skills classes, though, so I ended up switching to something non-music related.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of the math rock/mathcore genre. Mainly the technical guitar riffs, it's like candy for my ears. If you want to know what I'm talking about, just check out bands like The Fall of Troy, Animals as Leaders, This Town Needs Guns, Icarus the Owl, Protest the Hero, etc.

I have a slight grasp on the guitar technique that I enjoy the genre for: fast licks involving a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs, a lot of open string pull-offs, tapping, SOME sweeping (I'm absolute shit at it and only have the most basic sweep excercises down), etc. But I lack the solid foundation that I should have gotten when I started playing. I've glossed over the essentials such as learning my pentatonic and blues scales and improvisation within a specific key.

I can write a song/riff in a specific key, but it's a really painstaking process. I can also cover pretty much any song by the Fall of Troy (my favorite mathcore band), but I'm merely an imitation of their guitarist unless I can start writing my own stuff, that's where I'm lacking.

I'm not looking to be a perfect guitarist, but with the end of the semester coming up, I'll finally have time to myself to put into music. I want to use this time to get better at playing the kind of stuff I like.

Can anybody point me into a good direction?

Last edited by acousticslave : 02-27-2012 at 12:19 AM.
acousticslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Find out why their songs sound the way they do, I really can't give you any better advice than that. It is about the best thing you can spend your time doing because it means you'll develop your theory skills to the point where they're actually useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
WalkinDude91

Drop your low E string down so far that any note on it sounds like mush, lower your action to the point where every note above the D string sounds choked and nasally, DISTORTION, chug your open E string and power chords constantly, don't solo at all, cite fusion as an influence even though you know nothing about how to play it, act like your so much more musically knowledgable than everyone because the bands you listen to force all of their music into an odd time signature, play lots of minor second intervals, get a lead singer that writes lyrics that would out-cheese the cheesiest of 80's trash metal if anyone could understand them.

*end of trolling*
WalkinDude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
acousticslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinDude91
Drop your low E string down so far that any note on it sounds like mush, lower your action to the point where every note above the D string sounds choked and nasally, DISTORTION, chug your open E string and power chords constantly, don't solo at all, cite fusion as an influence even though you know nothing about how to play it, act like your so much more musically knowledgable than everyone because the bands you listen to force all of their music into an odd time signature, play lots of minor second intervals, get a lead singer that writes lyrics that would out-cheese the cheesiest of 80's trash metal if anyone could understand them.

*end of trolling*
Say, are you a fan of the same kind of music as me?
acousticslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
t1mman

IMHO Mathcore is more like the Dinlinguer Escape Plan, the band you've named are mainly prog-core

The "signature" sound of Protest the hero goes around legato. Most likely 3 notes/string legato run. Your best bet is to learn scales in this manners. You'll then train your ear for this type of pattern and be able to run it "your way". You could just print the natural minor in a fretboard and play with it

*http://www.studybass.com/tools/chor...e-note-printer/

The best way to learn there sound is to get tabs and play them. You have a couples of lessons by the PTH guys on youtube, you can start by that.
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Geldin

^
Do what now?

Protest the Hero's sound on Kezia was definitely rooted in mathcore. They weren't as dissonant as some other matchore bands, but they've definitely got the shifting time signatures and hardcore influences that mathcore is built on.

Your best bet is to learn some songs that you like and see what techniques you have the most trouble using when you play. Practice those techniques and keep learning.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
hansome21
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinDude91

*end of trolling*

Sorry, I think its music with no ups and downs. Music needs peaks and valleys.
hansome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
prog123spaghett

You know the chords to fcpsitsgepgepgep? Well just work on implementing open string pull offs between a whole bunch of those and you'll have something that sounds like the fall of Troy. If you want to go even more in depth with the technicality of those chords, listen to the band chon, they are pretty sweet and the do some sweeps that may help you practice! Good luck mayne!
prog123spaghett is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: