Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
QuantumMechanix
UG isn't that helpful

Pedal/Patches issue

I feel like such a noob for asking a question like this, but I'm trying to re-do and simplify my pedal board. I was thinking about investing in a decent multi effects pedal, but when I tried them out,they seem unnecessarily complicated. I just want to use my amps built in distortion, maybe with a boost for one patch and have another patch that is clean with some reverb and delay. I can't think of any (relatively inexpensive) way to do this with only one foot switch. As far as I know, with a multi effects pedal, I'd either have to use the pedal's distortion (which sounds terrible) or do 2 clicks to switch between these sounds, and that wouldn't be very practical for playing live.

I'm not very into gear, and I really only know what I have to know to get by as a gigging musician, but the only solution I could think of is to get rackmount equipment and sync it up to the backing track. And that is definitely too expensive for me, not to mention a little more complicated than I'd like. I was hoping someone else had a better solution for this...
Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
QuantumMechanix
UG isn't that helpful

I was just thinking.... If I run it into my FX loop while on the clean patch, I would only have to hit the channel switch button and the FX loop button, both of which are right next to eachother... that's an option I guess.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

TC G major II and controller. may cost a tad more, but they sound really good. do some searching on youtube.

it also has a harmonizing function that is specific to your key so it tracks better. cool feature. worth a look.

also i don't know much about them, but i know cathbard loves his alesis quadraverb. lets see if he pops in here...
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
cheapr2keepr

Digitech RP500 or 1000. 500 is simpler. It is extremely intuitive, easy to dial in with little use of instruction manual. I liked it better than Line6 or Boss.

I own the 500. I put it in front of my JCA20 as an fx pedalboard (no amp sim). It has durable stomp switches.

I have also used it for recording direct into a mixer/pc, and have gigged ampless into a house PA system.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
QuantumMechanix
UG isn't that helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
TC G major II and controller. may cost a tad more, but they sound really good. do some searching on youtube.

it also has a harmonizing function that is specific to your key so it tracks better. cool feature. worth a look.

also i don't know much about them, but i know cathbard loves his alesis quadraverb. lets see if he pops in here...

Awesome! I'll look into it.

Quote:
Digitech RP500 or 1000. 500 is simpler. It is extremely intuitive, easy to dial in with little use of instruction manual. I liked it better than Line6 or Boss.

I own the 500. I put it in front of my JCA20 as an fx pedalboard (no amp sim). It has durable stomp switches.

I have also used it for recording direct into a mixer/pc, and have gigged ampless into a house PA system.

But is there a way to use your amp's distortion and still have only one button to switch to switch patches? That's my issue here. I've messed around with a few of these and I don't like any of their built in distortion sounds compared to my amp. I used to own the RP300 and kinda hated it. I honestly don't see the use for built in amp sims.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
coldandhomeless

sounds like u are wanting midi! if you get an amp with midi, or get a rjm mastermind midi amp channel switcher/looper, you can do it all with one foot push. i have 2 carvin v3 heads, and a few midi controllers.
the controller switches the 3 channels, boost, both effects loops, and the color of leds inside the amp head! i got a zoom ms50g (which is a multi pedal but small as boss single) through one loop, and a boss ns2 with x-cable hookup in the series loop. i think an amp with midi switching will allow u to do alot more with rackeffects aswell.
the g-major and carvin v3 would be a good link. but get a midibuddy controller or something.
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

This seems to be the only way I can think of without MIDI. It requires two clicks or less to move between patches.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
cheapr2keepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMechanix
Awesome! I'll look into it.

But is there a way to use your amp's distortion and still have only one button to switch to switch patches? That's my issue here. I've messed around with a few of these and I don't like any of their built in distortion sounds compared to my amp. I used to own the RP300 and kinda hated it. I honestly don't see the use for built in amp sims.

Kinda. In pedalboard mode, the 5 stomp switches are used for different fx on/off. If you want to change to a different bank of fx, you can use the up/down stomp switches to move to a different preset combo of fx (i.e, maybe you want the chorus button to control a flanger on/off instead of a chorus).

In preset mode, you can use each of the 5 stomp switches for controlling a preset combination of amps/fx that you dial in and save as that particular preset. You can also choose to have no amp flavor at all by using the amp/cab bypass button. What you would end up with is an fx chain assigned to each preset, with no amp flavoring. However, within each of those settings you wouldn't be able to toggle on/off an individual effect. You'd have to get your fx set exactly how you wanted it for each setting. But yes, at no time do you HAVE to have an amp sim.

I run mine in front of my JCA20H, in pedalboard mode, having no amp simulation. I have my fx set for compression, distortion/gain, chorus, delay, and reverb. I have my analog pedal set for volume, with 75% at full down, and 100% full up (giving me 25% volume boost for solos, etc.). I also have a wah set on the expression pedal when I stomp it firmly on full up.

I believe the 1000 allows a bank of 5 instantly selectable presets via the top row of switches, and uses the bottome row of 5 switches to toggle the individual fx on/off. But then again, I haven't played the 1000, only read about it and determined I didn't need to upgrade beyond my 500.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i have to say i think the Line 6 HD's are superior to the digitechs. better tone in general, feels more alive and organic.

but if you only want to use something for effects and never want to use amp sims, look for an m13. if i correctly remember it has the same effects as the HD's (confirm?), but just go in the loop and have no amp modeling.

personally i would go with the HD for amp models, because sometimes it would be nice to plug the board in the mixer and sound good. i have never done it, but i would love to do something so simple, just one bag and a few cables. no cab and head and pedalboard.you could still go into an amp and only use the effects loop side. but having the HD, you can plug and go into a mixer as long as the facility is properly fitted with a decent PA.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
souperman08

Honestly, I would get a reverb pedal and a simple boost pedal, and put them next to eachother so you can stomp on both at once. Including your amp's footswitch, this would put you at three buttons. IMO, that would be easy enough to master. Another option might involve a new amp. My Mesa Nomad has a footswitch with a button for each of the three channels, an on/off for the reverb, and a solo boost.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
ragingkitty
meow?

A Carl Martin Octa Switch would do what you need if you're willing to cough up the moolah

http://www.carlmartin.com/product_octaswitch_MK_2.htm

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by ragingkitty : 04-25-2013 at 02:31 AM.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I use an RP1000 for my setup. I use my amps distortion for my main tone, then for cleans I use a preamp clean sim from the RP. 1 button press to change. It's something to look into if you get a multi-effects unit and hook it up via the 4 cable method.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: