Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
Sliide90027

D,

I am not confident with Berrrenger to take your time in that direction, but if they have something interesting laying around when you are checking things out, take a look, but I would not send you looking at their product used.

The NeoX is cool as it has the 12" and a 12ax7 in the Preamp, the tone shaping in OUTRAGEOUS, but again, for guitar, I have my doubts about it making a traditionalist happy. Tone Shaping might well do the trick though, as all you need is a transducer and some juice when it comes down to it. (I Bought the Genz on the Specs of Frequency Response, Baltic Birch, power, and dual preamp. I got damn lucky, far more fortunate than I deserve. Such things should not be so easy...finding the perfect tone.)

First look at what is in your price range, 12's are real Tight and I do not envision my return to 15's unless I get Myers cabinets. (Not only am I happy with 12's, but people rush to my amp when I play.)

After you find something that you think you can afford and fits in your life, then look at the next thing up and listen for anything you are missing between the two (More is not always better). When you are done with this purchase you need to be happy where you are and know where you are going next should you hit limitations on the performance of the Cabinet.

Tone is not going to be replaced by the Size of either cone or coil. A 2 or 3 Way cabinet has multiple facets to it: coil size, cone size, Midrange coil/cone, crossover, titanium, Neodynium, byrellium, phenolic ...... It is not fair to send you out with a bunch of specs that you may never find used all in one place.

ULTIMATELY, Take things for what they are by EAR.( You would not believe how blown away I was by a Pair of 20 year old 100Watt RMS Rated Yamaha SP101's, and it had 15's)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

You are looking for a versitility that delivers your desired tone(s). I would begin my looking only at Power and Frequency Response (IF THEY HAVE A GRAPH SHOWING THE FREQ RESPONSE CURVE OF THE CABINET GET A COPY AND CONSIDER IT IN RELATIONSHIP TO YOUR TONE), then give it a Work out.

Your Ear will not lie to your Heart. When you are moved/inspired, you have found what you are looking for.

Then go home and try to find one and then a second one used, wait till you go Stereo.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B

Last edited by Sliide90027 : 01-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
chatterbox272

I wouldn't worry too much about size, although I would be wary with 8" and some 10" ones incase they can't handle the lower bass frequencies (someone who works in PA instore should be able to tell you whether it will handle a bass or not). Out of those two I'd pick the Gemini because the Peavey is ridiculously vague about it's power output. If you can go and test them and see if the Peavey is loud enough then I'd go with it though, Peavey gear is near indestructible.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Sliide90027

Ok, I do not like Peavey. but this one you are looking at is Sound Renforcement, not merely Instrument Amps.

I will not be surprised if the Peavey Eats the Gemini's Lunch and Dinner.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #24
Dem0n0us

Thank you for the extra research!
I was at guitar center to discuss this with the sales guys. They, however, are telling me that I need a mixer and a pair of speakers to get the desired results. I feel that this is not necessary. What is your opinion? Do I really need 2 speakers for a good sound? I feel that 1 is necessary... just like a normal guitar or bass amp.
And just to check, it's:

Guitar --> pedalboard --> Powered Speaker

Please insert anything else needed in this chain. Also what cables would be required for the speaker? I noticed some do not have the standard 1/4th inputs.

Thnks, I am really dedicated to realize this.
Dem0n0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #25
chatterbox272

You are correct, you only need 1 speaker and you definitely don't need a mixer. They probably don't quite understand what it is that you're doing, because it's a bit unconventional.
What you need is exactly what you think you do, Guitar/Bass -> Pedalboard -> Powered Speaker. Most should have a standard 1/4" jack but if they don't then it will depend on the pedalboard. The BP355 has XLR outs so you would want an XLR cable (mic cable), if you get one that only has 1/4" outs and a speaker which only has XLR ins then you'll need a 1/4" to XLR cable.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
Dem0n0us

Ok, Thank you!
Ill try to make the pruchase this weekend. I'll come back and let you guys know how it went.
Dem0n0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
Usernames sucks

Well, i have the line 6 lowdown 15 and its very good for the price.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Sliide90027

Play before you pay.

I doubt that the BP355 lacks the voltage to drive the Power Amp in the Cabinet.

The Sales Staff probably thinks you are going to run both Guitar and Bass at the same time.

If forced to get a Mixer, get something tiny and quiet and that should get you over the top.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #29
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
Play before you pay.

I doubt that the BP355 lacks the voltage to drive the Power Amp in the Cabinet.

The Sales Staff probably thinks you are going to run both Guitar and Bass at the same time.

If forced to get a Mixer, get something tiny and quiet and that should get you over the top.

It definitely can drive a power amp, I own one and have been running it into the FX return of my Rumble 350 (bypassing the rumble preamp and tonestack, making it into a powered speaker) ever since I got the Rumble (I only got it because the only powered speakers I could get here were Behringer and I didn't trust them).
I agree the sales guy probably thinks you're actually trying to use it as a PA (the intended purpose) rather than using it as a makeshift guitar/bass amp.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #30
Sliide90027

Ok Chat, I knew that the notion was going to be posed about accepted conventions of amps.
So I am doing another thread, a History Lesson that Brings us to today.

Dem0n0us' willingness to travel this path is a great opportunity to open people's minds up here and break into New Territory.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B

Rate This Thread: