Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
randomthought9

shoegaze style vocals?

so, i figured i'd have a go at singing after years of just playing instruments. i've watched a few tutorials/read about singing, but i'm basically a total beginner when it comes to vocals.

anyways, i'm a big fan of shoegaze style vocals, and i'm assuming it's a pretty beginner-friendly style to sing. ideally, i'd sound like my bloody valentine, slowdive, washed out, etc etc. there's a lot of bands singing in this style now. how does one do it? tips, keys to that sound, etc etc.?
randomthought9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
HotspurJr

Develop your fundamentals FIRST, worry about style SECOND.

The biggest single problem I see from people posting samples of themselves singing on this board is that they focus on style thinking it will cover up bad fundamentals (or just being unaware of what good fundamentals are).
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
randomthought9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Develop your fundamentals FIRST, worry about style SECOND

i totally agree. it's just overwhelming, you know? i would love to take lessons, but that's just not an option financially right now, so i'm just doing what i can for now.

Quote:
The biggest single problem I see from people posting samples of themselves singing on this board is that they focus on style thinking it will cover up bad fundamentals (or just being unaware of what good fundamentals are).

haha. i guess i'm kind of guilty of that, regrettably. i'm not really super aware of good fundamentals though, otherwise i'd use them. if you want to get a feel for where i'm at vocally, here's a really rough demo of a track i'm working on, i sing the first verse.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-earl/shoegaze-idea
Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
HotspurJr

bad link.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
randomthought9

Quote:
bad link.

i uploaded to my profile. if you have any pointers as to what i'm doing wrong, let me know. i know the pitch isn't super tight.

link: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1171812
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Take lessons. Work on your ear.

You're rather pitchy, and I'm not qualified to tell you what you're doing wrong, technique-wise, based on that, but I can hear poor technique.

Rate This Thread: